Alesis midiverb/quadraverb emulation...

RELATED
PRODUCTS

valhallasound wrote:

The taps marked Lsum go to the left output, and Rsum go to the right output. The tap at the end of the delays (D3, D6, D9, D12) go into the inputs of the next 2AP/1-delay "block."
Thank you Sean for your explanation :)

The single loop has a much richer sound, for the most part, as each signal gets to travel through the entire loop before it is repeated. Much more thorough mixing. The parallel loops have smaller subsections repeating. I think that the MC202 demo reverb has parallel loops. I can hear some pretty obvious patterns, but it works for that material.
yes it's amazing,i can hear those patterns too,maybe duo to large delay line lengths.

There are enough Keith Barr written algorithms on the Spin Semiconductor site to keep people busy! Most of the other Alesis algorithms are far from "perfect," but they are certainly interesting. My guess is that, if you experiment with a bunch of allpasses in a loop, or a few loops, you can get close.
thank you sean,i will check those algo's,i've only seen that single loop of FV-1 on your valhalladsp website.
As far as strict reverse engineering, this probably won't happen anytime soon, primarily due to financial reasons. The Lexicon boxes get reverse engineered a lot, but the original hardware stills sell for $2K to $5K or more. The Alesis boxes can often be found for under $50. It takes a LOT of time to reverse engineer something by ear, even if you have a good idea of what the internals of the algorithm are, so there has to be a return on the investment.

Personally, I look at the Alesis stuff as inspiring ideas for future work, versus some "holy writ" that needs to be exactly copied. If you want the EXACT Midiverb II sound, it is still cheaper to buy the original box than, say, a hypothetical ValhallaMidiverbII. :D
ebay ,here i go :D
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:http://www.longsound.de/html/en_vstfx.html

Microverb VST

With the Alesis logo even?

I wonder how close it sounds.

Meanwhile, I found the ROM codes for the Picoverb online. This uses the AL3201 DSP, which has a published instruction set. I might take a look at this in the next few days. In all my spare time. There is no "facepalm" icon on KVR, which is a shame.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:
Aloysius wrote:http://www.longsound.de/html/en_vstfx.html

Microverb VST

With the Alesis logo even?

I wonder how close it sounds.
Yes it got really close...to Freeverb :hihi:

i couldn't tell the difference from that Schroeder algorithm,i believe the only similarity it's the gui...
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

Haven't actually tried it out myself yet. Will be interesting as I used to have a real one of these back in the day.

Update: Just tried it. Sounds great imho. Like a set of IRs (impulses). That 'Ibanez' delay (also from Longsound) sounds great too. Nice! :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:Haven't actually tried it out myself yet. Will be interesting as I used to have a real one of these back in the day.

Update: Just tried it. Sounds great imho. Like a set of IRs (impulses). That 'Ibanez' delay (also from Longsound) sounds great too. Nice! :)
Impulses would makes sense, and would capture the algorithm topology. Impulses wouldn't capture the fixed point "mojo."

Then again, my Alesis reverbs don't really have "mojo" so much as NOISE. MY Quadraverb sounds like a heating duct. So a cleaner version of the Alesis algorithms may not be a bad idea in some cases.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:There is no "facepalm" icon on KVR, which is a shame.
:dog:

valhallasound wrote:Then again, my Alesis reverbs don't really have "mojo" so much as NOISE. MY Quadraverb sounds like a heating duct. So a cleaner version of the Alesis algorithms may not be a bad idea in some cases.
It would be interesting. I have a Quadraverb GT (currently sitting in the attic at my mom's house if she hasn't tossed it), and the thing was noisy as all hell. When I was actually using the thing in college, it was great for weird effects (cool resonator effect that sounds like Radiohead's National Anthem vocal effect, a bad ass ring modulator), but I couldn't see myself digging it out of the attic, seeing if it works, then dealing the headache of routing out of my RME card, going back in, etc. So a software version of the verb would be nice.

Even better would be a Valhalla take on a Quadraverb-like multi-effects unit similar to the conversation that was happening up in the effects forum a few weeks ago. They were all the rage for rockmounts, so it is kind of surprising how few there are in the software world.

valhallasound wrote:
That first example has SUCH A BAD SYNTH SOUND. Seriously. Horrible.
Hahaha we are all different. I specifically like exactly that sound. Seriously. :oops:

Not just that i am not replacing my midiverb, i am seriously considering to add another one in my rack/desk :love: They are cheap these days..

valhallasound wrote: Turn on the Midiverb, and set the time machine to 1994 Warp records! Listen to how that crappy synth sound turns into beautiful rumbly goodness! Ahhhh...
Is it just me who get the feeling of Depeches old Music For The Masses here? They couldn't possibly be using the Midiverb... but seriously. Yeah. Gorgeous.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I would love an emulation of the Alesis reverbs. There's something special about them. I have the same feeling when using the Elektron reverb. It just sounds dark and industrial in a really musical way.

kmonkey wrote:
valhallasound wrote:
That first example has SUCH A BAD SYNTH SOUND. Seriously. Horrible.
Hahaha we are all different. I specifically like exactly that sound. Seriously. :oops:
What drives me crazy about that sound:

1) That clanky attack. I know that sound is totally evocative of a certain era of music (the late 1980's, when the Roland D50 introduced this sort of synthesis where a sampled attack is spliced onto a synthetic decay). The problem is, I was alive during this era, and HATED the music that sounded like that. Most DX7 presets sounded like this as well: weird, overly bright, clanky attacks.

2) The synthetic decay, with detuning that in no way sounds like it is related to the attack. The attack sounds like it comes from a single vibrating thing, the decay from several vibrating things.

In general, I have very little nostalgia for the digital synthesis sounds of the 1980s. The PPG stuff can sound cool, and a well programmed DX7 is awesome, but most of the DX7 presets were horrible. Subjective, of course. :D
Not just that i am not replacing my midiverb, i am seriously considering to add another one in my rack/desk :love: They are cheap these days..
My Midiverb II was $39. I paid $50 for my Quadraverb. I see Midiverb IVs all the time for around $70. If you are nostalgic for this particular sound, it is really low cost to buy the real thing. Totally different from, say, Lexicons, where the 224XL is still $2500 or more, assuming you can find a working one.

Sean Costello

Interesting quote about the Midiverb II, from an article on Enya*:

http://enyabookofdays.com/articles/wm-25.htm
Ryan likes the Alesis Midverb II. "They have a texture to them that the Lexicon doesn't have. There's compression built in. They really shouldn't have it there, but it is there, and it adds something. The reverb hasn't been built for us yet, neither in length nor the sound we want."
Sean Costello

* No, I WASN'T Googling Enya. I'm actually super cool and hip! I was Googling, um...the reverb used on Paul Simon's "Graceland."

valhallasound wrote:Interesting quote about the Midiverb II, from an article on Enya*:

http://enyabookofdays.com/articles/wm-25.htm
Ryan likes the Alesis Midverb II. "They have a texture to them that the Lexicon doesn't have. There's compression built in. They really shouldn't have it there, but it is there, and it adds something. The reverb hasn't been built for us yet, neither in length nor the sound we want."
Sean Costello

* No, I WASN'T Googling Enya. I'm actually super cool and hip! I was Googling, um...the reverb used on Paul Simon's "Graceland."
:hihi:
I like Enya ,yesterday i was playing Bodicea on tal-u-no lx ,only missed the midiverb sound...Here is another quote from enya producer:
Nicky Ryan wrote: "Outboard gear is kept to a functional minimum; two MIDIverb IIs ("I prefer them to the super duper machines"), an ATC Q1 reverb and a Roland SDE-1000 digital delay."
it seems like he used the midiverb II on all the albums :)

also from Nicky:
"You can point the finger at me when it comes to reverb and stuff like that. I have a great love for atmosphere. And, um, I don't think twice about it. I don't think maybe we should do less of this, maybe we should do more. I just do what I feel is... necessary. There's a song called "Marble Halls", for example, which in its very essence it suggests reverb to me -- the fact that you are in the marble halls. You must have it."
Vocal harmonies are at the centre of what we do, absolutely - and I use a phenomenal amount of reverb on the sound. In fact, I still don't think there's enough. A company called Lexicon have finally come up with a reverb I might use from now on, the 4ADL, and both the Alesis Company and Roland have developed some amazing equipment. In fact I might use a combination of all three of those for the next LP. I guess we'll all have to wait and see what happens.

...after not buying any new old hardware for about one month - my gas is again in full force...

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Return to “Valhalla DSP”