1%
Ubermod already does this
13%
There are enough delay plugs that do everything already
9%

Total votes: 254

RELATED
PRODUCTS

yes, model the RE-201, the EP-3 and EP-4… :)

sqigls wrote:yes, model the RE-201, the EP-3 and EP-4… :)
EP-3 is my favorite tape delay. I've spent a fair amount of time with the RE-201, and I own an RE-301 (which is starting to break down). The EP-3 has the most beautiful random pitch drift I have ever heard.

Sean Costello

Replika is IMO this time the best available delay (Echoboy is ok but IMO too complex and that's why so many preferring H-Delay, Replika or the DAW delays).

A simplified Übermod with all controls removed which are not needed for a delay. But with some delay devices like tape, tube, digital and some typical delay types (Replika gives a good idea about very useful delay types). For a tape delay it doesn't need IMO controls for wow/flutter and all this stuff.. it should only sound good with a very limited set of controls (maybe only modulation depth).

An "expert" page with some more controls could be also a good idea (a bit like a very simplified Echoboy). This leaves some space for different presets and different sounding delays.
I think a filter with some modulation features is also great idea (IMO not very important but very usable).

It should be something in the typical Valhalla product line: very easy to use with a clean interface and a great sound and with some options for the more experienced users.
A bit more features like Replika not so many features and hidden stuff like Echoboy and the sound (or better) of the UAD Space Echo :P

valhallasound wrote:
sqigls wrote:yes, model the RE-201, the EP-3 and EP-4… :)
EP-3 is my favorite tape delay. I've spent a fair amount of time with the RE-201, and I own an RE-301 (which is starting to break down). The EP-3 has the most beautiful random pitch drift I have ever heard.

Sean Costello
Yeah i've never owned one, but did use the EP-34 plugin from UAD for a while. but it's been about 4-5 years since I got rid of the UAD, and I still can't find a replacement for it. PSP Echo and Dubstation in some ways come close (even though Dubstation is bucket brigade)… but that sound was awesome.
The feedback kind of takes off like a rocket, but the washy tails are so creamy, not sure if that is the best way to describe… It's rich and superb.

An RE-201 algo would be great, that has some wild feedback also, though very different to the EP-3.

Put me in the space echo camp, albeit with some extras.

As much as it pains the purists, an option for sync-to-tempo is sometimes just the ticket. Would also love some serious wow/flutter, insane tape-disturbing. Lastly, the psp echo convinced me that 'duck' can be really useful

Of course, the idea of Sean's take on the spring aspects is definitely something to get excited about

I would love to see a space echo kind of emulation too!

4damind wrote:Replika is IMO this time the best available delay (Echoboy is ok but IMO too complex and that's why so many preferring H-Delay, Replika or the DAW delays).

A simplified Übermod with all controls removed which are not needed for a delay. But with some delay devices like tape, tube, digital and some typical delay types (Replika gives a good idea about very useful delay types). For a tape delay it doesn't need IMO controls for wow/flutter and all this stuff.. it should only sound good with a very limited set of controls (maybe only modulation depth).

An "expert" page with some more controls could be also a good idea (a bit like a very simplified Echoboy). This leaves some space for different presets and different sounding delays.
I think a filter with some modulation features is also great idea (IMO not very important but very usable).

It should be something in the typical Valhalla product line: very easy to use with a clean interface and a great sound and with some options for the more experienced users.
A bit more features like Replika not so many features and hidden stuff like Echoboy and the sound (or better) of the UAD Space Echo :P
This is pretty much along the lines I am thinking. I already have a super complicated delay plugin, in the form of ÜberMod. I don't think I could release anything as simple as a real EP3 (2 controls + a few trim pots), but the goal is to be easy to use, while still having a ton of sonic power.

And it needs to sound like an EP3, RE-201, or better. Sounding better than the UAD Space Echo would be a hard goal to achieve, as the UAD RE-201 is no longer available.

My dream is to have something that sounds like everything great about tape echoes, but much more so. I want everything to have that "aged" sound from the first repeat. Think Boards of Canada, or early 70s Frippertronics.

Sean Costello

Sean,

One of my favorite drone techniques is to make a tape loop, load it into my Tascam 22-2, cover up the erase head and go to town sending sounds to tape. There's just something about that sound of a tape continually saturated and sounds fading into the background or creating new combinations with each pass. Once I did a live performance, and the tape got overloaded and the sound deteriorated into silence for a moment. It's a lot of fun, quite random and very organic.

The closest I ever found was Elottronix XL, which is only available for Windows and I'm on a Mac now. Karlette isn't quite what I want either. They're too clean and not funky enough.

Keith

citizenkeith wrote: One of my favorite drone techniques is to make a tape loop, load it into my Tascam 22-2, cover up the erase head and go to town sending sounds to tape. There's just something about that sound of a tape continually saturated and sounds fading into the background or creating new combinations with each pass. Once I did a live performance, and the tape got overloaded and the sound deteriorated into silence for a moment. It's a lot of fun, quite random and very organic.
THAT'S the sort of sound I want to get. Saturation that causes near-dropouts. There's something about that sound that reminds me of clenching your jaw really hard. It's an intense sound.

Sean Costello

might a Binson emu be included?
i know its not tape... :/

dave

valhallasound wrote: My dream is to have something that sounds like everything great about tape echoes, but much more so. I want everything to have that "aged" sound from the first repeat. Think Boards of Canada, or early 70s Frippertronics.

Sean Costello
Good Morning Sean,

This will be an Instant Buy for me. Please take my money ASAP.

valhallasound wrote: THAT'S the sort of sound I want to get. Saturation that causes near-dropouts. There's something about that sound that reminds me of clenching your jaw really hard. It's an intense sound.

Sean Costello
I'd be first in line to buy a plugin that would do that. :)

One of the things I've always really liked about the RE-201 (I suppose the same would be true for the 301) is the spring reverb. The tandem of spring reverb+tape delay really does wonderful things. I'd love a Valhalla plugin that combined to do both, even if it didn't try to be an absolute faithful emulation of a 201.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:One of the things I've always really liked about the RE-201 (I suppose the same would be true for the 301) is the spring reverb. The tandem of spring reverb+tape delay really does wonderful things. I'd love a Valhalla plugin that combined to do both, even if it didn't try to be an absolute faithful emulation of a 201.
+1

Nice to hear it would be dirty tape stuff.

Some control over repeats, panning and maybe groove options would be nice.
dedication to flying

Return to “Valhalla DSP”