Let's talk about pitch shifters!

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just out of curiosity (and this is more of a general pitch shift question) how well do these type vst's work on guitars as a virtual whammy kind of deal. I know there are hw versions but I think they are pretty "artifact rich" which isn't always a bad thing but seems to be a complaint I've seen often. I'm not such a purist but the thing I guess that's always kept me from bothering is the absence (as far as I know) of a midi pedal with a "center return" spring. I.E. you can't really program for +/- 64 to be positive and negative bends and use a midi pedal. I've always wondered if a midi plug couldn't be coded up to provide the functionality of a center "snap to" but then that opens up it's own set of challenges (snap time, curve, range, etc.). Googling it though does appear a lot of others are wanting the same thing... though "a lot" probably isn't enough to make it commercially worthwhile.

chrisby wrote:virtual whammy
my bloody valhalla?

<ValhallaUberMod pluginVersion="1.0.2"
Aha!!

valhallasound wrote: I also whipped this preset up in ÜberMod yesterday:

<ValhallaUberMod pluginVersion="1.0.2" presetName="MicroDouble" Mix="1" Depth="1" StereoWidth="0.5" Delay="0.0232999995" Feedback="0" Spread="0.5" Slope="0.5" Skew="0.5" Random="0" TapGain="0.5" Diffusion="0.5" DiffSize="0.0204081628" DiffModRate="0.0490490496" DiffModDepth="0.5" LowCut="0" HighCut="1" SpatialXover="0.145728648" DetuneRate="0.0490490496" DetuneDepth="0.5" VibratoRate="0.298245579" VibratoDepth="0" OverMod="0" DriveInGain="0.25" DriveOutGain="0.75" DriveNoiseGain="0" FeedbackRotate="0.5" SmoothingTime="0.0990990996" ColorMode="0" DelaySync="0" type="0.0416666679" DiffEnable="0" Drive="1" DrivePrePost="0" Speed="0" InputPan="0.125"/>

Different principle than the microshift stuff, but in the mix it sounds REALLY close. I used a bit of drive to get closer to the grunge of the H3000.

Sean Costello
Dude, that's a great sound and very close to Little Microshift's mode III.

Thanks for that. I tweaked a little and made my own but I'm keeping it all to myself :D
⬆ Jon from The REAPER Blog

toast wrote:
chrisby wrote:virtual whammy
my bloody valhalla?
pedal driven... exactly. Just need the zero snap foot controller (or sw emulator).

i want a nice pitch shifter for ebm/aggrotech vocals :D

I've had an old MXR Pitch Transposer for a few years and that's dumber than a bag of spanners and about as heavy.

Favourite trick with that is to crank up the regeneration and nudge the pitch shift from slightly sharp to slightly flat (or the other way round) and stand well back while it swoops, whiplashes and rattles for a minute or so. Not sure how easier it is to replicate as it does seem to have a mind of it's own.

One thing you might consider which is possible on the MXR (by hand as it has 4 pitch shift settings where the knobs are touch sensitive) is to sequence pitch shifts - it also has CV control.

In software it would benefit from being stereo and offering more than one pitch interval at a time.

I don't have i-lok either so I'm another person who would not be interested in the Sound Toys offering.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

pulsewidth256 wrote:
Aha!!
Well spotted! ;)

BDeep wrote:
pulsewidth256 wrote:
Aha!!
Well spotted! ;)
It is an internal build, that I used to put some experimental stuff in there. None of the experiments have panned out. I just called it 1.0.2, to differentiate it from the 1.0.1 release.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote: I should note that the SoundToys pitch shifter is still in the category of what I would call "dumb" pitch shifting.
I also whipped this preset up in ÜberMod yesterday:

<ValhallaUberMod pluginVersion="1.0.2" presetName="MicroDouble" Mix="1" Depth="1" StereoWidth="0.5" Delay="0.0232999995" Feedback="0" Spread="0.5" Slope="0.5" Skew="0.5" Random="0" TapGain="0.5" Diffusion="0.5" DiffSize="0.0204081628" DiffModRate="0.0490490496" DiffModDepth="0.5" LowCut="0" HighCut="1" SpatialXover="0.145728648" DetuneRate="0.0490490496" DetuneDepth="0.5" VibratoRate="0.298245579" VibratoDepth="0" OverMod="0" DriveInGain="0.25" DriveOutGain="0.75" DriveNoiseGain="0" FeedbackRotate="0.5" SmoothingTime="0.0990990996" ColorMode="0" DelaySync="0" type="0.0416666679" DiffEnable="0" Drive="1" DrivePrePost="0" Speed="0" InputPan="0.125"/>

Different principle than the microshift stuff, but in the mix it sounds REALLY close. I used a bit of drive to get closer to the grunge of the H3000.
Really nice preset Sean, thanks.

Like the TAPS > Skew at 0.0%
I dropped it on the lead vox in that mix I posted in GS showcasing VeeThree and ÜberMod.
Nice option. Lowering the MOD > VibRate a bit worked for me.

Since the release of the ST Little MicroShift I must confess to a lot of experimenting with it.

Your MicroDouble preset would not be out of place being the IV Mode on it.
Different to the other 3 Modes to my ears.

Thanks again.

elxsound wrote:Why can't this be as complex as übermod (which I think is still simple to use)?
The problem with ÜberMod is that people are asking me for an echo plugin. ÜberMod IS an echo plugin. Which tells me that something went wrong with ÜberMod for a lot of potential users.

Part of this might be the name. "ValhallaÜberMod" implies that it is a modulation effect, which it is, but doesn't convey the multitap/diffusion/distorted delay aspects of the plugin. I don't know of any short series of words that would accurate convey what ÜberMod does. Meanwhile, ValhallaVintageVerb is pretty obvious, with the only thing that needs clarification is whether or not it emulates real plates and springs (no) or old digital reverbs (sí).

I think a bigger aspect is the bigness of the ÜberMod GUI and parameters. The old tape and BBD echos had a handful of controls. My Boss DM-2 has 3 knobs. Add mod depth and rate, and you've got a great delay pedal! Compare this to the 40+ ÜberMod parameters.

I guess this is all a roundabout way of saying that, if I did release an ÜberMod-style pitch shifter, there would be a lot of users that would prefer something simpler. Trying to find the sweet spot between easy to use and powerful to use is tricky.

Sean Costello

it would be cool to add those presets in updates :D so you dont miss some!

valhallasound wrote:The problem with ÜberMod is that people are asking me for an echo plugin. ÜberMod IS an echo plugin. Which tells me that something went wrong with ÜberMod for a lot of potential users.
I think ÜberMod needs a single delay line in order to qualify for true echo status. It's not possible (as far as I can tell anyway) to create a straight forward mono delay in ÜberMod. The dual mode cancels every fourth delay if width is set to 0 and spread is set low enough, will the other modes all smear the sound somewhat. Don't get me wrong, ÜberMod is marvellous, but ordinary echo effects don't seem to be possible...

As far as a pitch shifter is concerned, what about something like this:

http://redpandalab.com/products/particle/

suthnear wrote:
valhallasound wrote:The problem with ÜberMod is that people are asking me for an echo plugin. ÜberMod IS an echo plugin. Which tells me that something went wrong with ÜberMod for a lot of potential users.
I think ÜberMod needs a single delay line in order to qualify for true echo status. It's not possible (as far as I can tell anyway) to create a straight forward mono delay in ÜberMod. The dual mode cancels every fourth delay if width is set to 0 and spread is set low enough, will the other modes all smear the sound somewhat. Don't get me wrong, ÜberMod is marvellous, but ordinary echo effects don't seem to be possible...
The cancellation is being caused by the WARP fbMix setting being set to 50%. This causes the feedback signal to be derived from a mix of left and right channels, in such a way as to create cancellation. I didn't know that it would do this, but that is kinda cool (you don't hear the cancellation with modulation depths greater than zero).

Here's a preset for a basic echo, without the cancellation of the 4th repeat:

<ValhallaUberMod pluginVersion="1.0.2" presetName="BasicEcho" Mix="1" Depth="0" StereoWidth="0.5" Delay="0.166999996" Feedback="0.584999979" Spread="0" Slope="0.5" Skew="0.5" Random="0" TapGain="0.5" Diffusion="0" DiffSize="0.0367346928" DiffModRate="0.392392397" DiffModDepth="0.143999994" LowCut="0.110552765" HighCut="0.207537696" SpatialXover="0.105527639" DetuneRate="0.0270270277" DetuneDepth="0.202000007" VibratoRate="0.218546361" VibratoDepth="0.284000009" OverMod="0" DriveInGain="0.445833325" DriveOutGain="0.75" DriveNoiseGain="0" FeedbackRotate="0" SmoothingTime="0.541341364" ColorMode="1" DelaySync="0" type="0.0416666679" DiffEnable="0" Drive="1" DrivePrePost="0" Speed="1" InputPan="0"/>

Sean Costello

Return to “Valhalla DSP”