My opinion of Valhalla plugins

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, I have that too, and with Aalto, and with Circle. I think it's something in the JUCE framework that is used....

BDeep wrote:Yeah, I have that too, and with Aalto, and with Circle. I think it's something in the JUCE framework that is used....
Correct, this is a Juce issue. It has been a problem for years, and was still not resolved as of a few weeks ago:

http://www.juce.com/forum/topic/text-ed ... patch-demo

I'm working on AAX ports, which means that all of the plugins will be updated to use the latest and greatest Juce framework. Theoretically, this means that I can pretty quickly release updates when bug fixes are entered into the Juce framework. In practice, these bug fixes are taking a while, and nothing in my world moves quickly anymore.

Sean Costello

Hi Sean,

I am a happy owner of ValhallaUbermod, I'd just like to ask if you could reveal some snippets of your current future plans...

Before I list tons of vintage stompboxes to emulate, do you intend to add more stuff to Übermod? :)

@ davidka: I've seen Sean reply that Übermod is allready complex enough as it is most every time the subject of adding some functionality comes up, so my bet is on no. :wink:

V-GER wrote:@ davidka: I've seen Sean reply that Übermod is allready complex enough as it is most every time the subject of adding some functionality comes up, so my bet is on no. :wink:
This is correct. ÜberMod is Über complex as is. As far as adding more functionality, that energy would be better spent on new plugins that are simple to use, that have more focused purposes.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote: ÜberMod is Über complex as is.
:hihi:
valhallasound wrote: As far as adding more functionality, that energy would be better spent on new plugins that are simple to use, that have more focused purposes.
..and while I can't speak for anyone else I've sure found my energy is better spent being more focused in my dealings with ÜberMod than wishing for this and that function to also be in what is allready an extraordinarily flexible plugin... :wink:

One small Über request (sorry OP if you think I'm digressing, I'll try to stop now :oops: ): an alternative GUI that shows more parameters at once. I think all of them should fit on a standard so called "HD" resolution screen, or at least half of them for less moving back and forth between tabs. Possible somewhere down the line? :pray:

V-GER wrote:
valhallasound wrote: ÜberMod is Über complex as is.
:hihi:
valhallasound wrote: As far as adding more functionality, that energy would be better spent on new plugins that are simple to use, that have more focused purposes.
..and while I can't speak for anyone else I've sure found my energy is better spent being more focused in my dealings with ÜberMod than wishing for this and that function to also be in what is allready an extraordinarily flexible plugin... :wink:

One small Über request (sorry OP if you think I'm digressing, I'll try to stop now :oops: ): an alternative GUI that shows more parameters at once. I think all of them should fit on a standard so called "HD" resolution screen, or at least half of them for less moving back and forth between tabs. Possible somewhere down the line? :pray:
I should amend my above statement to "As far as spending any more energy on ÜberMod updates besides porting to AAX, that energy would be better spent on new plugins that are simple to use, that have more focused purposes."

An alternate GUI would take several weeks of solid work to create. Plus, if I was going to create any alternate GUI for ÜberMod, it would be one that has LESS parameters on screen. Something that turns ÜberMod into a preset machine, like a rackmount Eventide. I thought about this for a while, then realized that it would be better to design plugins with simpler interfaces from the ground up.

Sean Costello

Ok, I'm no programmer so I didn't realize it would be so much work. I'll just look into what metaplugins/metahosts could be best suited for me, if I can make do without the proper ValhallaDSP look while tweaking. :wink:

BTW, ValhallaShimmer can really shine with some saturation plugin after it in the chain. Or at least to my taste it can. I'd recommend the adventurous who haven't allready done so to try different types of distortion, a little touch of fuzz and other forms of "dirt" on top. I thought it worked surprisingly well.

valhallasound wrote: Plus, if I was going to create any alternate GUI for ÜberMod, it would be one that has LESS parameters on screen. Something that turns ÜberMod into a preset machine, like a rackmount Eventide. I thought about this for a while, then realized that it would be better to design plugins with simpler interfaces from the ground up.

Sean Costello
I'd really like to see you build something similar to NI's Molekular. A bunch of small, easy to use modules that can be wired up and patched together in a semi modular way. Übermod's different modes alone could probably be half of that if recontextualized (chorus, flange, delay), then add in some reverb and pitch algorithms from your other plugs and you'd be close. I give NI credit for making something so complex that's so easy to use, but I could see you doing something similar, but better (more Eventide or Quadraverb inspired, just easier).

Throw in feedback loops in the suggestion from Funkybot's Evil Twin and I'd certainly buy it. :D

V-GER wrote:Throw in feedback loops in the suggestion from Funkybot's Evil Twin and I'd certainly buy it. :D
Let's add in a ring modulator, resonator, and harmonizer too.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
V-GER wrote:Throw in feedback loops in the suggestion from Funkybot's Evil Twin and I'd certainly buy it. :D
Toss in a fully functional, modular synthesis language, with GUIs that automatically hook up, and I'm in as well! :D Otherwise, I'll probably stick to simpler, self-contained plugins.

Molekular definitely leverages the modular aspects of the Reaktor framework. I'd love to have something similar running here at Valhalla DSP towers, but I don't right now.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Toss in a fully functional, modular synthesis language, with GUIs that automatically hook up, and I'm in as well! :D Otherwise, I'll probably stick to simpler, self-contained plugins.

Molekular definitely leverages the modular aspects of the Reaktor framework. I'd love to have something similar running here at Valhalla DSP towers, but I don't right now.

Sean Costello
A man can dream can't he? I hear ya though, I'm sure what I'm asking for would be a huge undertaking, but god it would be cool.

valhallasound wrote:
V-GER wrote:@ davidka: I've seen Sean reply that Übermod is allready complex enough as it is most every time the subject of adding some functionality comes up, so my bet is on no. :wink:
This is correct. ÜberMod is Über complex as is. As far as adding more functionality, that energy would be better spent on new plugins that are simple to use, that have more focused purposes.

Sean Costello
Thanks for the heads-up. It was not my intention to suggest anything, I have a hard time coming up with reasons, seeing the market :)

Regarding new plugins: would you want to cover some exotic ground, or stick to the basics done your way?

yup - do a direct comparison with Lexicon, Exponential and Relab verbs and the Valhalla stuff is on par...
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

Return to “Valhalla DSP”