Talk about websites you like to buy plugins from.

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I'm going to start automating the Valhalla DSP plugin sales sometime in the next several months. I'm spending too much of my time manually filling orders. Computers do that much better than I could.

I'd love to hear from you about what websites you like for this process, and what ones you don't like.

Thanks,

Sean Costello

Hi Sean

Do you mean like when I am shopping online?

I like instant downloads. AudioDamage is good.

If you mean vendors though a clean easy to navigate website is preferred. I like AudioDeluxe in that case or Sweetwater.com
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:Hi Sean

Do you mean like when I am shopping online?
Yes, shopping online for software or other digital goods.
I like instant downloads. AudioDamage is good.
My goal is to have instant downloads, so I don't have to manually generate keyfiles and email them out. And manually send out updates and betas to people. And manually send out the latest versions and keyfiles when someone's computer crashes. Computers will be better at this sort of thing than me. Computers don't need sleep.

I also want to have the sales process within my control, so no Digital Rivers solutions. This will be a web site I own and administer. I'll use PayPal for payment processing, and will hopefully add another credit card processor.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:I'll use PayPal for payment processing, and will hopefully add another credit card processor.
Works for me. My favorite form of purchase is a paypal button and after payment an email in my inbox with the serial/keyfile attached. Hopefully the email shows up in 5 mins or less.

Please keep the emails afterwards to a minimum: important updates, major product releases, or coupons. I've purchased a few things that they decided for me to subscribe me to several mailing lists in one shot. Not fun.

bmrzycki wrote:
valhallasound wrote:I'll use PayPal for payment processing, and will hopefully add another credit card processor.
Works for me. My favorite form of purchase is a paypal button and after payment an email in my inbox with the serial/keyfile attached. Hopefully the email shows up in 5 mins or less.

Please keep the emails afterwards to a minimum: important updates, major product releases, or coupons. I've purchased a few things that they decided for me to subscribe me to several mailing lists in one shot. Not fun.
Ideally, there would be NO email when purchasing a plugin. I want to have user accounts, where you log in with your email address and password, and then have access to all the plugins you have purchased, as well as the serial numbers for each plugin, invoices for those who care, and beta versions (if any) of the plugins you own.

Right now, I have an email that I send out manually, that includes the keyfile. A lot of emails get caught in spam filters, and the .xml keyfiles are sometimes blocked by email clients. I always get the download links and keyfiles to customers, but I'm spending far too much time on this process.

Sean Costello

For the love of god, don't use paypal. One of our clients has this thing imposed on him where paypal holds on to all his money for over a month before he gets it. They claim it's because they've judged him to be a "high risk business" (it isnt) but the reason they do this is so they can collect interest on that money during the holding period. They do this a lot and it adds up, as I'm sure you can imagine. They are basically gangsters.

And this is on top of everything else that is awful about them, the slowness, the horrible interface, the ugly APIs, the overcomplex sandbox system, the locking of accounts, etc etc.

I highly, highly reccommend you use Stripe. That shit is amazing.

Also, if you want someone to develop it for you, integrating your keyfile generation code and so on, give us a shout. We normally work with bigger companies but I'm sure I could fit my one of my favourite plugin devs in somewhere :)

just about any good developer website: create account, buy online, get license keys into your account. ideally, with automated license transfers, even if for a small fee.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I know there are more but the one that comes to mind is FabFilter. Purchased plugins are in the account straight away and easily registered with the serial data that is also received straight away via email.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

jonniecache wrote:For the love of god, don't use paypal. One of our clients has this thing imposed on him where paypal holds on to all his money for over a month before he gets it. They claim it's because they've judged him to be a "high risk business" (it isnt) but the reason they do this is so they can collect interest on that money during the holding period. They do this a lot and it adds up, as I'm sure you can imagine. They are basically gangsters.

And this is on top of everything else that is awful about them, the slowness, the horrible interface, the ugly APIs, the overcomplex sandbox system, the locking of accounts, etc etc.

I highly, highly reccommend you use Stripe. That shit is amazing.

Also, if you want someone to develop it for you, integrating your keyfile generation code and so on, give us a shout. We normally work with bigger companies but I'm sure I could fit my one of my favourite plugin devs in somewhere :)
Stripe is great, no fuss system that works and delivers peoples digital downloads instantly.

E-junkie is good too and can be set up in such a way as to accept both paypal and credit card. Both of these are cheap too, much cheaper than share-it.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

valhallasound wrote:Ideally, there would be NO email when purchasing a plugin. I want to have user accounts, where you log in with your email address and password, and then have access to all the plugins you have purchased, as well as the serial numbers for each plugin, invoices for those who care, and beta versions (if any) of the plugins you own.
That sounds even better. I give it a :tu:

Voxengo, FabFilter and Audio Damage have really nice automated systems.

Register account, buy plugin, download plugin from account link, serial number (or keyfile link) automatically added to account.

Second hand transfer licenses from account to account by user (seller needs name/e-mail from buyer in order to transfer)

If there's a transfer fee, user buys a transfer "token" and after payment transfer button is available in account.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

I like XLN Audio system, with it's online installer, very similar to what companies like Steam and Blizzard offer in the gaming world. I lke that you can log anywhere and use your stuff. With XLN system you can even sync presets.

But I also know many people hate that kind of system based on the cloud.
dedication to flying

Voxengo comes to mind. Everything is automated and instant, even license transfers. Brilliant. Love it.

The ones I don't like are the ones where you either have to wait for hours/days before you get a code, or the ones that use third-party sales (or DRM) middle-men.

seeing as you are looking for names, I'd say PSP. You do get an e-mail but there is an account page with the product plus a downloadable key file. It also builds up with the latest version and you can expand to see old versions if you need those for some reason.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

I also like the Audio Damage and Fabfilter systems, and I do prefer to receive an e-mail when purchasing and notifications of updates so I hope you can at least make that an option. A tickable option or two those of us who prefer to recieve can choose perhaps? :wink:

EDIT: added "I hope you can" to create an illusion of being polite and simply hoping for the best instead of expecting.

Return to “Valhalla DSP”