Very happy with Valhalla plugs

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks Sean for your good quality plugs. I have had Valhalla Room, Shimmer for several years, I only paid for Shimmer but you had sent me Vroom first by mistake, as a result I got both for $50! bought Übermod a year ago, and last night I got in a bind when using a lot of heavy plugs that drained my computers power so I got a few VERY irritating crashes and restarts, I think one of them was caused by the Vintage Verb demo I was using perhaps an old version or just my guilty conscience? INeeding to get on with things as it was getting way to late, I bought and downloaded the latest VVV version, It seemed to have solved the i crash issue in the actual situation. But the main point is it's CPU efficient, and has a high end, transparent sound. I've noticed this when I have made do with the demo version a few times, and how great how pristine it sounded when I heard it's quality in action on some of Simon Stockhausen*s tracks .

So now I own the whole set except the new Plate.

I was at first a little put off by the Valhalla UI's but now find them easy to read, fast and efficient in use.

Vintage Verb is highly recommended !
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

TwoToneshuzz wrote:I was at first a little put off by the Valhalla UI's but now find them easy to read, fast and efficient in use.
I had the same reaction to the Valhalla UI's. I didn't care for them at first (no slick graphics), but after using them for a bit, they're among my absolute favorites. I looked at the reaction on Gearslutz to the Waves Abbey Road Plate announcement when all that was available was the UI, meanwhile the already excellent Valhalla Plate had been out for a few months and a lot of the same folks didn't seem to know about it. Granted, Sean doesn't have the marketing machine/exposure of Waves, but I think the sexy AR Plates GUI was enough to get folks excited, and I couldn't help but wonder if some people were passing on checking out the Valhalla plugins because of the flat UI's. If so, their loss...

I love Valhalla GUIs pure Bau Haus style, great taste.

They are in fact my favorites along with Ableton Live.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:I love Valhalla GUIs pure Bau Haus style, great taste.

They are in fact my favorites along with Ableton Live.
Bauhaus style? That's a new angle on the subject. I'm not sure I agree so I think I'll have to look up Bauhaus..

a. a German school of architecture and applied arts founded in 1919 by Walter Gropius on experimental principles of functionalism and truth to materials. After being closed by the Nazis in 1933, its ideas were widely disseminated by its students and staff, including Kandinsky, Klee, Feininger, Moholy-Nagy, and Mies van der Rohe

I've always been a fan of Kandinsky, and Kee's art. But in relation to Valhalla GUI's though very functional lack the fine level of balance and humour that gave the best of the Bauhaus visual artistists work such depth in simplicity. For Valhalla the simple and functional part of the definition does apply.. Not sure if I'd want to work in that environment all day though. Textures and modelling of GUI's in my opinion makes them easier on the eyes. Adding the thought the most important feature for some GUI's being sizeable..Which the layout and design of Valhalla plugs doesn't need at all..

Look more Italian Futurist than German Bauhaus to me, but I love 'em!

Yeah I would agree they adhere more to the functionalist part, but VVV with its color coding for "colour" does makes it beautifull and "deep". But I think Sean is designing with those basic principles of the german school in mind.

Textures and model have its place in GUI, specially for emulations. But I honestly feel the dominance of that style in audio software has halted the development of novel aproaches to GUI's design. Few companies invest time on that, like Fabfilter stuff, Madrona labs or FAW Circle.
dedication to flying

Another happy :party: customer here.. :tu:

I spent a small fortune bying Lexicon reverbs because in the hardware world they are among the best. But just a few days ago I bought Valhalla vintage reverb and that is the best reverb I ever used. It is just amazing. Soon enough I have to buy the Valhalla shimmer also. Can't wait to try it out :phones:

Cheers!
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Sold my PCM70 after Room came out. When VVV came out I was even happier not to have all those 1980's unobtanium chips in the studio. ;)

rod_zero wrote:Yeah I would agree they adhere more to the functionalist part, but VVV with its color coding for "colour" does makes it beautifull and "deep". But I think Sean is designing with those basic principles of the german school in mind.

Textures and model have its place in GUI, specially for emulations. But I honestly feel the dominance of that style in audio software has halted the development of novel aproaches to GUI's design. Few companies invest time on that, like Fabfilter stuff, Madrona labs or FAW Circle.
Functional really is a fine criteria for GUI design..I seem to recall he uses a specific design philosophy as a starting point for his GUI but I can't recall which..

I think Textures and modelling perhaps make looking at the screen for longer periods somewhat less taxing, it's like to clean a lines burn them selves on the retina...

I also own FabFilter Pro Q2 and Pro C2, they are always a pleasure to use, though I remember on first seeing them they seemed a little too toy store like for my taste, as at that time I was very much impressed with the U-he graphics.. especially the Uhbiks. Now I'm more seasoned with somewhat lousy eyesight, I prefer sizeable large knobs and as big a text as possible..if texts are an essential part of using the GUI.. For example I don't like how the UVI Falcon's texts are tiny..

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Same. I've even bought Valhalla plugs as a present for other people. Fantastic plug-ins at an accessible price. What's not to love?

I have never seen someone saying one bad word about Valhalla plugins, jesus they are simply the best for that price. Heck, they could even cost twice as much and it would still feel like a "christmas deal". Don't tell it to Mr. Costello though :D

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Look more Italian Futurist than German Bauhaus to me, but I love 'em!
To me, they look somehow nordic (hence Valhalla?). :) Not really the best looking GUI's ever to me, but, they do the Job, so it's fine.

TwoToneshuzz wrote: I was at first a little put off by the Valhalla UI's but now find them easy to read, fast and efficient in use
For me, it's by far the best UIs ever made for a plugin. Simple and efficient.
my website: https://samiyounes.com
Latest releases: Attraction for Omnisphere 2 | Magma for Omnisphere 2 | Time for Soundtoys EchoBoy

Return to “Valhalla DSP”