ValhallaExistentialCrisis

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

killmaster wrote:when? wish you wouldn't tease.
He said, "still a few months away," so my guess? Still a few months away.

Then add another month or two after that for all the unexpected crap that comes up in testing and development.

valhallasound wrote:All of the characteristics listed (Distorted, Chaos, Age, Disintegration, Darkness, Decay) can be found in the upcoming plugin.
What? No gloom, despair, or agony?

If you promise to add those in a later update, I'm in.

Can't very well have an apocalypse without those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAAKPJEq1Ew

ValhallaPocalypse!

Valhalla Zarathustra
Valhalla Mephisto
Valhalla Brunhilde
Valhalla Krimhild
Valhalla Bayreuth

medienhexer wrote:
stardustmedia wrote:Curiosity *ON*

VPB: Valhalla Panzer Blitzkrieg
I know it's a blurry line between actual norse mythology, what Wagner made of it and what was appropriated and abused by 1930s Germany, but Blitzkrieg to my knowledge is not related to Thor in any way. We probably shouldn't be using that term conversationally.
I gotta admit, the whole Nordic mythology thing has become far more uncomfortable for me in the last few years.

"PanzerBlitz" was the name of a board game I had as a kid. Really cool board and box design, but I think I played it once. Really complicated.

valhallasound wrote:
medienhexer wrote:

I know it's a blurry line between actual norse mythology, what Wagner made of it and what was appropriated and abused by 1930s Germany, but Blitzkrieg to my knowledge is not related to Thor in any way. We probably shouldn't be using that term conversationally.
I gotta admit, the whole Nordic mythology thing has become far more uncomfortable for me in the last few years.

"PanzerBlitz" was the name of a board game I had as a kid. Really cool board and box design, but I think I played it once. Really complicated.
I empathize with the uncomfortable feeling too, but I'd hate to see it represented by falling into the abusive category exclusively, when it shouldn't.

valhallasound wrote:
medienhexer wrote:

Yes, i had that one, too. With the cardboard punch outs? Definitely complicated. I also had Starship Troopers based on the Heinlein novel from the same company. Luckily, i was just at the stage in my development where i was realizing that war sux.
I was a big fan of Thor comics in the 70s, what i liked was that although Thor was a badass warrior, he had some ethics.
When i went to the library to research Norse mythology i didn't particularly like what i read. History is written by the victorious (the oppressors).
I've always thought the name Valhalla was a bit strange but the plug ins are excellent and the developers is great so, whatever, it's just a name (label).
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

CrystalWizard wrote:
valhallasound wrote:
medienhexer wrote:

Yes, i had that one, too. With the cardboard punch outs? Definitely complicated. I also had Starship Troopers based on the Heinlein novel from the same company. Luckily, i was just at the stage in my development where i was realizing that war sux.
I was a big fan of Thor comics in the 70s, what i liked was that although Thor was a badass warrior, he had some ethics.
When i went to the library to research Norse mythology i didn't particularly like what i read. History is written by the victorious (the oppressors).
I've always thought the name Valhalla was a bit strange but the plug ins are excellent and the developers is great so, whatever, it's just a name (label).
«History is written by the victorious (the oppressors).»

But that is hardly the case with Norse mythology. Much of what is written on Norse mythology and vikings was written by monks who were subjected to vikings plunder, but that only tell something about the ones plundering, but not anything about those who didn't. There is also a lot of histories about trade and exploration.

If the only contact one has with a people is with the violent few, it's easy to assume they all are.

But yes, there is a lot to be said about norse mythology that is negative as with most mythology and history. Ups and downs. Little of it is relevant today and the link between Norse symbolism and Nazi propaganda is very irrelevant. If a mass murderer has a teddy bear tattoo, it doesn't mean that teddy bears is a symbol of evil.
Anyway, I'm just tired, even after long sleep, and should get another cup of coffee and just shut up now.

Sorry for the derailing...
Now, about Valhalla, I find these hints intriguing

Oh goodness, I wish I wish for proper multi-tap ping-pongability. Trying to build them out of lots of delays and panning always bakes my noodle.
How exciting!

gaf_thit wrote: «History is written by the victorious (the oppressors).»

But that is hardly the case with Norse mythology. Much of what is written on Norse mythology and vikings was written by monks who were subjected to vikings plunder, but that only tell something about the ones plundering, but not anything about those who didn't. There is also a lot of histories about trade and exploration.

If the only contact one has with a people is with the violent few, it's easy to assume they all are.

But yes, there is a lot to be said about norse mythology that is negative as with most mythology and history. Ups and downs. Little of it is relevant today and the link between Norse symbolism and Nazi propaganda is very irrelevant. If a mass murderer has a teddy bear tattoo, it doesn't mean that teddy bears is a symbol of evil.
Anyway, I'm just tired, even after long sleep, and should get another cup of coffee and just shut up now.

Sorry for the derailing...
Now, about Valhalla, I find these hints intriguing

Good points.

I'm also intrigued, hope it's something really strange and different.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Looking forward to that plugin, of course. Sounds intriguing... :D

But my real fantasy would be a granular disintegration tool. I'd really love to see and hear Valhalla's special take on granular... :pray:

Neon Breath wrote:Looking forward to that plugin, of course. Sounds intriguing... :D

But my real fantasy would be a granular disintegration tool. I'd really love to see and hear Valhalla's special take on granular... :pray:
You‘re not alone...

I'm thinking this will be something akin to Echoboy. Simple interface and feature set, but very high quality emulation of different delay types (BBD, tape, vintage digital). I think the differentiator will be in getting the strange artifacts and quirks just right and hopefully better than the competition. I wouldn't expect anything like Sandman Pro from Valhalla, but maybe something more akin to the Blue Sky in plugin form.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I'm thinking this will be something akin to Echoboy. Simple interface and feature set, but very high quality emulation of different delay types (BBD, tape, vintage digital). I think the differentiator will be in getting the strange artifacts and quirks just right and hopefully better than the competition. I wouldn't expect anything like Sandman Pro from Valhalla, but maybe something more akin to the Blue Sky in plugin form.
I've only tried the Blue Sky once. Not my fave. The El Capistan, Flint and Big Sky, OTOH, are pretty great. I have a Time Line, but I have to confess that I haven't plugged it in yet. Magneto looks great, but I haven't tried one in person.

valhallasound wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I'm thinking this will be something akin to Echoboy. Simple interface and feature set, but very high quality emulation of different delay types (BBD, tape, vintage digital). I think the differentiator will be in getting the strange artifacts and quirks just right and hopefully better than the competition. I wouldn't expect anything like Sandman Pro from Valhalla, but maybe something more akin to the Blue Sky in plugin form.
I've only tried the Blue Sky once. Not my fave. The El Capistan, Flint and Big Sky, OTOH, are pretty great. I have a Time Line, but I have to confess that I haven't plugged it in yet. Magneto looks great, but I haven't tried one in person.
I mixed up their product line, was definitely thinking of one of their delays. I have a small pedalboard with nothing too fancy. When I'm recording, I'll add delay ITB so my TC Electronic Flashback is good enough for when I'm just screwing around on guitar. I dig the mod delay mode on it along with a few others.

Looking forward to see your take on delay. Echoboy Jr is probably my favorite (even though I own the full version) with the OuterSpace (SpaceEcho) being high on the list. I'm not sure if you checked it out yet, but the new Fuse Audio Labs BBD also sounds really good to my ear. I particularly like the fact that the delay gets blended in with the dry signal (with an optional Dry Mute for send usage) versus a standard dry/wet mix knob. I think that's my new preference for delay effects.

I picked up the Slate/D16 delay recently and I'm honestly underwhelmed by that one. Gain gets lost as the wet mix increases (to the point where I'm constantly having to compensate on the output gain), the presets are all 100% wet, the preset system is a chore to work with, just no fun. Not a delay, but the new Native Instruments modulation effects reminded me of Valhalla with their good sound and simple feature sets. I'm imaging a Valhalla delay somewhat similar to those. And I'm only bringing up the other products to talk about likes/dislikes from a personal/functional perspective. My tastes definitely lean more towards "simple, sounds good, set and forget" versus the bigger be-all-end-all type delay effects.

Return to “Valhalla DSP”