Long everlasting love

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After having spent a lot of time with sound design for other programs, I felt that I wanted to go back to Vaz Modular and go through my sounds. I reacted directly to how amazing Vaz sounds. There's a huge difference in quality to other software synths. Oscillators, filters, envelopes, etc sounds warm, analog and very organic!

Vaz has existed for more than ten years and still sounds better than anything else on the market! (Yes, I dare to say that)

Today, I use Propellerhead Reason as DAW, so I have now decided to buy a computer dedicated only for Vaz. It will be great to use Vaz as a separate hardware synth while saving CPU capacity. I simply can not live without this amazing synth.

To Martin, I say:
Fantastic programming!

Just let me know if I can contribute to the marketing of Vaz with some presets or anything!

Best regards,
Kire

So you don't like how Diva sounds? :D

I curse the day I sold my VAZ Modular..
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

EvilDragon wrote:So you don't like how Diva sounds? :D
;)

Sure I do. Diva is a great synth with a lot of potential. :)

Still, I always end up in the situation that I prefer the character of Vaz. Maybe it's mainly about control. I can make my own sounds from scratch and add the elements I want. There are so many tricks to make sounds more organic and warm with all the modules.

For example I can get close to the Moog Taurus character, because I can eq the oscillators before the filter (add low gain) and add alot of different feedback and distortion. The bass sounds I get are deep as crazy, and I haven't been able to recreate that in any other Va-synth (hard or soft).

Vaz is also very efficient on CPU power compared to many of the newer synths.

Just the fact that Vaz is so old makes me even more impressed with its sound.

/Kire

Kire wrote:Vaz is also very efficient on CPU power compared to many of the newer synths.
Now this is true. Except when doing 6-op FM. Then FM8 is much more efficient from my experience.

metal wrote:I curse the day I sold my VAZ Modular..
lol

Kire wrote:Vaz is also very efficient on CPU power compared to many of the newer synths.
Hmmm, actually with x2 oversample enabled VAZ is quite heavy on CPU. It gets better if you run many VAZ modulars, with a single patch in each, in a host like Cubase/Cantabile, they are load balanced across the cores/cpu's.

i m thinking to buy a pc just to run it as i am a mac user, i really like the sound of vaz modular it s sad it s windows only

I gotta say that after a little time away, it feels great to be using VAZ Modular again! I've tried Reaktor, Diva/ACE/Bazille, Aalto, Sonigen, KarmaFX, and others. The only synths that come close to its sound are real CPU hogs, and none of them have VAZ' blend of immediacy, total versatility, and crazy sequencing options.
Fred_Abstract wrote:i m thinking to buy a pc just to run it as i am a mac user, i really like the sound of vaz modular it s sad it s windows only
Check out these threads about running VAZ under Crossover Games on a Mac, and getting JackWASIO to work.

I'm mostly on Mac these days, with VAZ being the only Windows program I really miss. Last night I downloaded the Crossover Games demo and have had good luck running VAZ so far...very exciting!

Hi there.

I've just spent the better part of today trying to get this to work with mixed results.

You will see some of my posts on the jackwasio thread but to summarise:

Latest Crossover demo with the wineasio.dll added as per instructions:

Main problem is the program has an error on exiting everytime. This means preferences have to be checked everytime also.
Otherwise Vaz functions OK, GUI is a bit slow, juddery and moving windows causes artifacting but otherwise it seems OK.

Latest Wineskin Winery compile with the wineasio.dll added as per instructions given on the jackwasio thread

Was working really well... smooth like on bootcamp, no GUI issues, quicker to load & seemed to have slightly lower CPU. Then out of the blue there was an exit crash (like the crossover one) and on reloading trying to access preferences caused a soft lock-up. After rebooting and repairing permissions it now doesn't get past the title splash pop-up. Leaving it locked up for anytime causes the lappy to heat up quite alarmingly.

Interested in other user experiences and if you've fixed these kind of errors.

My currents spec btw:
Snow Leopard
Macbook Pro 2008 17" model with 8600m gt and 4gb ram

Vaz runs beautifully in Win7 Bootcamp partition on same computer.

Interesting, I had never heard of Wineskin before.

Crossover is a bit dodgy with VAZ in Mountain Lion, at least half the time I'm getting freezes when I try to open new VAZ synths or patches and I have to force-quit.

I have it running in an XP bottle, I wonder whether a Win2000 or Vista one would work any better. Haven't had a chance to investigate WINEAsio or JACK yet. I still have a functional XP computer that VAZ runs great on, just want to get a solid portable VAZ together on this Mac.

Well i'm not sure yet about the continued stability of Wineskin but I think I might have worked it out. The problem seems to be mitigated if all programs are set to the same sample rate as Jack BEFORE trying to start the routing. Also allowing different in/out devices on Reaper seems to make a difference. Not sure why that is disabled by default.

Wineskin still produces errors on exit that mean the preferences aren't saved. Might be an issue of file priveleges?

secretkillerofnames wrote:Well i'm not sure yet about the continued stability of Wineskin but I think I might have worked it out.
Yeah actually forget about Vaz + Wineskin. Have noticed that whenever I quit out of Vaz I get an error. Then no other apps that use Wine will load until I restart the computer and perform repair permissions and restart again. Also if the controller / soundcard configuration changes since last use I get lockups. I imagine it is a personal experience but by contrast Crossover 11 trial produces an error on exit occasionally but doesn't bother any other apps and reloads fine. It also doesn't lock up if I have to change peripherals. Shame I didn't find this out while I could get a 50% discount :(

Return to “VAZ Synths”