using the mixer

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is very basic entry-level stuff.... but can someone give me an idea as to how the mixer window is used? I can see how it is used to add effects to individual synths and how different synth sounds can be blended - but I feel I might be missing something!
Just need some very basic pointers to get me going.

Thanks

I assume you mean the mixer module, of which there are several?

Among the various tricks is routing the same signal into several bandpassfilters and then mixing those bandpassfilters together. Some experienced tweakers like to use thre or more BPFs (should be fairly narrow filters, 24 db cutoff) with one set relatively low, one in the sort of mid-high range somewhere and one somewhat higher) for simulating formants and thus making wovel-like sounds. Requires some experience though, and having a certain idea which range the oscillator needs to be in for it to work. Or two BPFs, each with their own envelope, tweak to taste and just experiment to get wovel-like sounds.

Other types of parallell filtering, just experiment, you may fatten up a sound or suddenly come across some unexpected effect you like. Try both with different modulation sources (envelopes, LFOs, Random S generators) with various degrees of modulationfor the respective filters and with roughly the same modulation. Try out different degrees of keyfollow etc.

The 2-in mixer is a crossfader, use it for instance with a ringmodulator to make one portion of a sound "dry" and let it fade into a ringmodulated version. Or use either a slope generator set to "sustain" or an ADSR envelope set to minimum attack and full sustain to let it crossfade into ringmodulated version in the release phase with the crossfade time adjusted by the release time (offcourse set the release of the amp envelope longer than this time).

Sorry if this was too much information or not the type you where looking for, but I hope some of it can be of use.. :) Good luck, and happy experimentation!

Hi - thanks for the help - very useful! I've started using the mixer modules with interesting results. In fact my original query was about the Mixer Window - the window that has a channel for each synth which is always there. I feel I'm asking some dumb questions - but I feel there must be more to it than just mixing the sounds of various synths? And using sequencers - I've had some 'access violation' errors when I have more than one synth open - so am also wondering about how this works.

All very new - it's hard to even ask clear questions!

Please send me details of the access violations so that I can investigate.

I don't seem to be getting them now (of course!) - but noted them when they originally happened (on opening sequencer when I had more than one synth open if I remember rightly):

Access violation at address 0094B1C5 in module vazmodcore.dll
Read of address 0000003D

another one was at address E8C38B00

Perhaps it was just me being heavy-handed and doing bizarre things in my newbieness!

Oh, that mixer window.. :oops: Except for stuff like setting a couple of patches in several channels to the same MIDI channel and for instance panning them a bit differently for a subtly widened sound (different patches or the same patch or variations of a patch in the different channels etc) - and multitimbrality with for instance a kick drum in one channel and something snaredrumish in another etc I can't think of much else. I may offcourse be missing out myself for all I know, and I think most of us continously discover new ways of combining and using things in Vaz Modular...

And then there's the sub output module and all its various uses..

Offcourse remember you can load a full instance of Vaz Modular as an effect into the mixer and as a plugin in the plugin module, this instance just adds the possibility for external input but retains all functionality of the "regular" version of Vaz Modular. Perhaps you allready knew that, but as it seems you're just starting out I just threw it out there...

And questions are offcourse ok, even those you feel may seem dumb, you usually end up learning something and everyone more experienced have at some point started out knowing even less then you presently do. :)

Oh, it's usually usefull to include a little bit of systeminformation such as OS etc when reporting errors. :wink:

Thanks - it's nice to know I wasn't too wide of the mark then.

Thinking about it now those errors may have occured while I had a Reaper open - trying to use Vaz as a plug in or something (I'm using windows XP).

Thanks again.

Return to “VAZ Synths”