Detune modulation for Multisaw

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Martin!

Do you think it would be possible to add a modulation input for the multisaw detune?

I have discovered that it is possible to make realistic string sound when modulation is added in form of noise, touch sensitivity, randomness, etc.

Best regards,
Erik

This was mentioned earlier, a quick search showed it was in the surprisingly long lived "Top of your VazMod wish lists Easter 2011?" thread (EDIT: on page 5, posted the 25th of january this year):
MadGav wrote:
Kire wrote:Would it be possible to have a modulation option for the detune-amount in the Multi-saw osc?
After having looked at it adding detune modulaton to the Multi-Saw Osc *would* be a problem, but there is a workaround a little way off...

Martin
BTW, is it possible to achieve something similar by using a couple of Multi-Oscilators do you think?

V-GER wrote:This was mentioned earlier, a quick search showed it was in the surprisingly long lived "Top of your VazMod wish lists Easter 2011?" thread (EDIT: on page 5, posted the 25th of january this year):
MadGav wrote:
Kire wrote:Would it be possible to have a modulation option for the detune-amount in the Multi-saw osc?
After having looked at it adding detune modulaton to the Multi-Saw Osc *would* be a problem, but there is a workaround a little way off...

Martin
BTW, is it possible to achieve something similar by using a couple of Multi-Oscilators do you think?
Thanks for the reminder. It seems that I have just as good memory as a goldfish! ;)

It could work with several detuned osc's. I have made some good stringpatches in Vaz with modulated ensemble-effects etc, but the best violin sounds I got from the Propellerhead Thor synth with it's multisaw and detune-modulation.

Kire wrote:It seems that I have just as good memory as a goldfish! ;)
Goldfish are allright! :hihi:
Kire wrote:It could work with several detuned osc's. I have made some good stringpatches in Vaz with modulated ensemble-effects etc, but the best violin sounds I got from the Propellerhead Thor synth with it's multisaw and detune-modulation.
I was thinking (possibly you got that, but just in case it seemed unclear somehow) of the Multi-Oscillators as they have detuning modulation and a saw output - at least in theory one should be able to get the same or at least a similar effect by layering some of them and routing the same modulation to the detuning inout of each.. Perhaps that would require some extra modulation routing, some clever stuff to do a little slight detuning of each Multi-Osc as the detuning parameter is modulated to make it all sound right - to make them all blend together instead of risking it sounding more like several layered oscillators at one edge of the scale if you know what I mean...

Are you any good with combfilers? Worth a try (though I couldn't make anything convincingly stringlike I've heard rumours there are those who can). I think 96 should be the magic number for keyfollow (route CV Note to Frequency Modulation, off course..), if I remember those readings from Voxengos Span correctly... I'd throw in a Modulation Expander first, or an extra combfiler.. Or probably both, and still I'd most likely fail to create anything remotely realistic so I'll just shut it now... :P

V-GER wrote:
Kire wrote:It seems that I have just as good memory as a goldfish! ;)
Goldfish are allright! :hihi:
Kire wrote:It could work with several detuned osc's. I have made some good stringpatches in Vaz with modulated ensemble-effects etc, but the best violin sounds I got from the Propellerhead Thor synth with it's multisaw and detune-modulation.
I was thinking (possibly you got that, but just in case it seemed unclear somehow) of the Multi-Oscillators as they have detuning modulation and a saw output - at least in theory one should be able to get the same or at least a similar effect by layering some of them and routing the same modulation to the detuning inout of each.. Perhaps that would require some extra modulation routing, some clever stuff to do a little slight detuning of each Multi-Osc as the detuning parameter is modulated to make it all sound right - to make them all blend together instead of risking it sounding more like several layered oscillators at one edge of the scale if you know what I mean...

Are you any good with combfilers? Worth a try (though I couldn't make anything convincingly stringlike I've heard rumours there are those who can). I think 96 should be the magic number for keyfollow (route CV Note to Frequency Modulation, off course..), if I remember those readings from Voxengos Span correctly... I'd throw in a Modulation Expander first, or an extra combfiler.. Or probably both, and still I'd most likely fail to create anything remotely realistic so I'll just shut it now... :P
Thank's! :)

The multi-oscillator seems to have phase-issues. I don't know if it's free-running, but I get the typical flange-effect from the saw-oscillator when I use a small amount of detune. That makes it hard to do typical acoustic string-sounds.

The multi-saw oscillator don't have that problem and is therefor better in this case.

Return to “VAZ Synths”