Pulsewidth percentage

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hiya,

I just have a question about Pulsewidth. I'm working through Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook and a number of the preset "recipes" ask for Pulsewidths of less than 50%. Is there a way in Vaz to reduce a pulsewidth below 50 as it seems like most of the oscillators are set with 50 as the minimum.

chrs
Lloyd

Use an inverter module after the osc
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

secretkillerofnames wrote:Hiya,

I just have a question about Pulsewidth. I'm working through Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook and a number of the preset "recipes" ask for Pulsewidths of less than 50%. Is there a way in Vaz to reduce a pulsewidth below 50 as it seems like most of the oscillators are set with 50 as the minimum.

chrs
Lloyd
A few synths do that, its quite annoying. Dont know what they cant do a full duty cycle from 0 - 100 with centre being a square/50%

kingtubby wrote:Use an inverter module after the osc
Thought that might be the one to use but the instructions are brief. I assume it inverts the signal so 50 - 100 become 50 - 0?

If you don't need it completely thinned out another option can be to use a fixed value module patched into the Pulsewidth Modulation input, with the fixed value set to it's lovest value and the degre of PWM cranked up it takes you down to what looks like roughly 25 % to me on the oscilloscope. If you're not sure what I mean I can post a screencap. This trick can be used on other modules too in some cases to get lower/higher values, longer release times etc.

And yes the inverter, well, inverts.. Audio and modulation signals alike. :) Most modulation processing modules can treat audio and most audio processing modules can treat modulation signals (I think all can, just with some you'd probably not want to)...

V-GER wrote:If you don't need it completely thinned out another option can be to use a fixed value module patched into the Pulsewidth Modulation input, with the fixed value set to it's lovest value and the degre of PWM cranked up it takes you down to what looks like roughly 25 % to me on the oscilloscope. If you're not sure what I mean I can post a screencap. This trick can be used on other modules too in some cases to get lower/higher values, longer release times etc.

And yes the inverter, well, inverts.. Audio and modulation signals alike. :) Most modulation processing modules can treat audio and most audio processing modules can treat modulation signals (I think all can, just with some you'd probably not want to)...

I'll give both approaches a try after work. Thanks for the tips.

Return to “VAZ Synths”