MadGav's studio needs sorting out

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I'm thinking there ought to be some expertise passing through here to throw some ideas around to sort out my (micro) studio... essentially I'm not happy that I have a rig to just sit down and play, I'm definitely banging around the question of a different sequencer either software or hardware. The latter could be good for *not* being at a laptop screen 3m where I sit working at one all day ;) but that would not fit into a software/DC-coupled CV/modular scenario.

This lives on a stack of 4 shelves with space for a laptop and mini keyboard to the sides:

MacBook Pro first Core Duo model
- Logic Pro 8 (not very keen on this, audio editing is rubbish... FYR I used to use Cubase VST32 on Windows)
Edirol PCR30

(top shelf ~5u)
Boss GX-700 guitar FX (being adopted by my daughter for her newly acquired, it's not inconvenient here atm but I might need the space!)
MOTU 828MkII

(next shelf down)
Doepfer G6 modular (6u snug fit in height)
Kenton Pro-2 MIDI->CV

(next shelf down)
Korg MS-20 (I *think* the Korg35 version)

(next shelf down)
ARP Odyssey (Black & Orange late model with 4075 filter)

Foe reference a run-down on other stuff I have but isn't currently in use:

(at my house)
Lexicon MPX-500
Yamaha FS1R

(stored elsewhere)
Emu E4K (early converters but later motherboard with EOS4)
Roland JX3P with PG200
Roland SH-2000
Novation BassStation Rack
Boss SX-700 FX
Korg AM-something 1u FX
Roland SRV-something 1u FX
Miditech Studio Twin FX
Yamaha O1R mixer with analogue 8-in board
Focusrite voice channel, silver face budget one
Soundart Chameleon (basically never used)
and whatever I've forgotten and is waiting to be rediscovered :D

Martin

MadGav wrote:(at my house)
Yamaha FS1R
I want one sooooo bad. Sadly, not in financial situation currently (have a wedding next year :D). If you ever want to give that one a good home, let me know via PM, pretty please. :)

I should add that any changes need to be done on a micro-budget (skint parent!)

Hi EvilDragon,
EvilDragon wrote:I want one sooooo bad. Sadly, not in financial situation currently (have a wedding next year :D). If you ever want to give that one a good home, let me know via PM, pretty please. :)
I'm certainly considering selling it off... it's a beast, both in a good noises and in a pain to program sense. What it does isn't close enough to my tastes (analogue / modular) for me to have the motivation to really dig in with it. I will have to get it out to find out whether the internal battery needs to be replaced, and also build up courage to dig through the pile of boxes in the garage where the manuals are buried (I'll need wifely permission for that one ;)

Martin

Yep, I like it because it's a beast. And this editor seems to unlock its true power with much better editability.

Am going to demo Reaper, Studio One and Tracktion to see how the feel as possible Logic replacements.

Have had a quick spin with each of the 3 DAWs mentioned, looks like Studio One Producer FTW, encouragement/discouragement gratefully received. One specific question: does Reaper support "ghost" clips where you can edit any of the copies and it changes all of them?

Yep, for MIDI it does. It's called pooled items.

If you want the best utilization of your CPU, Reaper is the way to go.

It seems that Reaper is quite (very?) configureable and as I come from a Cubase background do you happen to know which themes/tweaks to suggest?

Indeed it is VERY configurable (in fact it's the MOST configurable out of the three DAWs you're looking at), no wonder some call it the Linux of DAWs. Well I personally didn't use Cubase much, but there are tons of themes to check out in Reaper stash, some are Cubase inspired, but I don't remember if there's a single Cubase-like theme that is using all the awesome theming stuff that Reaper 4 provides (WALTER). Personally I'm using an older version of RADO theme (not available anymore, unless one contacts me, I guess) which suits me just perfectly. Looks like this.

Although, since you're coming from Cubase background, perhaps an easier (but more expensive) choice for you would be S1, because it's made by people who jumped the Steinberg ship and went on to Presonus... So it's like Cubase but with much better workflow (so people who used both say).

DAW stuff I need to consider:
- Ease of use with CV output plugins, being able to set a mono channel to no panning so 0dB meant 0dB would be handy
- Easy to use drum sampler (Ultrabeat...not!), the S1 one is nice, Reaper would need a plugin and nothing cheap/free which suits on OS X?

EvilDragon wrote:Although, since you're coming from Cubase background, perhaps an easier (but more expensive) choice for you would be S1, because it's made by people who jumped the Steinberg ship and went on to Presonus... So it's like Cubase but with much better workflow (so people who used both say).
Not *much* more expensive if I can find the money this month because its on half price, and I think the drum sampler included likely justifies that... but as a total aside this does indicate a niche for a cheap drum sampler plugin running on OS X!

MadGav wrote:DAW stuff I need to consider:
- Ease of use with CV output plugins, being able to set a mono channel to no panning so 0dB meant 0dB would be handy
- Easy to use drum sampler (Ultrabeat...not!), the S1 one is nice, Reaper would need a plugin and nothing cheap/free which suits on OS X?
Hey Martin, I too am considering another (as distinct from "new", or "replacement") 'host' with a user configurable modular environment, and though the current entry price (< $90.00) for Studio1 v.2 is very attractive and I do like its 'look/feel', and although Reapers modularity certainly has its legendary 'appeal' for many users, and I just LOVE some of its UI's...

I'm feeling kinda drawn to MuLab, which has really come-of-age, yet remains (seemingly) "under-the-radar"... I have not checked the "CV" thing, but MuLab has (IMHO) such an amazingly clean/intuitive interface, that I may jump onboard (finally).

Go to 3:00+ in this vid, for a good look at the MuDrum instruments work-flow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVTeD6els3s

MuLab Highlights

[2c]
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Hi Shabdahbriah, thanks for the suggestion, could easily not have looked in this direction so will check it out. What host do you use at the moment btw?

MadGav wrote:Hi Shabdahbriah, thanks for the suggestion, could easily not have looked in this direction so will check it out. What host do you use at the moment btw?
YW. :wink:

Depending upon what I am doing, and not counting Reaktor (which I consider a "host", personally), I'm mainly using Ableton Live v.7 (still) :oops: , for its incomparable (IMHO) 'immediacy' of/with "assignments", and it just simply works SO well with all of the Akai APC/MPD and assorted keyboard MIDI controllers, and I have made a ton of very elaborate "matrices" (read that: multiple-hundreds of hours, worth) with it, and a companion 'sub-host' Chainer (as a Vst within Live)... most set-up/using Bomes MIDI translator, and with (Logitech) G-11 keyboard macro's.

For "quick" experiments and 'testing', I like Cantabile

[aside] I came from using Opcode Studio Vision Pro, then (another lifetime) moved-on to learning the "environments" in Logic, which was priceless when I had racks and racks of hardware/outboard gear, and 3x Korg Oasis PCI cards. Times (conditions, and needs) change, and the latest iterations of some of these new (and old) "tools" are just amazingly powerful, easy on the eyes, and proving to be "functional" for a number of different methodologies. Good times, indeed. :)

Old Opcode video... so far 'ahead' of its time, by comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwfX0k-fqK0

8)
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “VAZ Synths”