"Crossbreeding" Fortune's synths and soundfonts

Official support for: hgf-synthesizer.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

After completing collection of HG Fortune's synths I started to experiment with "crossbreeding" - using SF2 soundbanks from one synth in another one.

For example, I found that using soundfont file 4TDM3Bottom.sf2 from DreamMachine3 in AnviliaPro (in both slots) results in incredibly atmospheric sounds. I recommend to try.

Another crossbreeding experiment: HGF-ROM1.SF2 and HGF-ROM7.SF2 from STS-33
used in Atonoise-Pro - result is an immense load of "spooky" FX-type and illustrative sounds. BTW, trying such configuration makes clear that the "spirit" of HG Fortune's synths lies in "electronic", not in samples.
Actually all sounds from two banks I tried sounded in spooky and eerie way.

And something really mad: try soundbanks from DreamMachine3 in Percumat 2 Free.
At output we will get, well, "dance ambient" ;) Evolving pads and samples forced to go in rhytm, sound very unusual.

Does anyone from people reading this forum tried such crossbreeding configurations and has interesting results to tell about?

Hi,

yes, i tried this several times - with a wide range of results: great, weird, unusable...

Using the SFs e.g. from TDM works fine with Anvilia, Shuniji or so but you get poor results with percumat. Sometimes its like rolling dice :-).So i stopped this; the amount of work (organizing SF2s and patches) is too big.
I think, each one of Guenter's instruments has carefully chosen Soundfonts that fit great to the machine. For me it hat more effect to make intense use of the lazy-button :-).

> BTW, trying such configuration makes clear that the "spirit" of HG Fortune's
> synths lies in "electronic", not in samples.
YEPP!!!

I copied all SF2 from Guenters synths in a subfolder called "Fortunes SF", and from time to time i try a little crossbreeding. Its really inspiring, lots of fun, and i discover new features of Guenters synths ervery time. But im not sure about the practical use?

BTW: on Guenters homepage lots of additional SF2s can be found. :-)So: just try it.

Crossbreeding is a nice option to get more out of the plugins also in terms of getting a more individual or unique sound ;-) Of course this is a little more work but if you organize your own sf2 files as selections from other files for Your special set this additional work is required only once. On the other hand you got your favourite waves in one or two sf2 files in a dedicated folder for an easy access from different plugins.

heinrich_h wrote:yes, i tried this several times - with a wide range of results: great, weird, unusable...
I prefer to discover weird ones :)
heinrich_h wrote:the amount of work (organizing SF2s and patches) is too big.
I think, each one of Guenter's instruments has carefully chosen Soundfonts that fit great to the machine. For me it hat more effect to make intense use of the lazy-button :-).
Yes, number of possible "synth-soundbank" combinations is immense.
And if we count "lazy" configurations, then every HGF synth is an universe of sound possibilities.
heinrich_h wrote:I copied all SF2 from Guenters synths in a subfolder called "Fortunes SF", and from time to time i try a little crossbreeding. Its really inspiring, lots of fun, and i discover new features of Guenters synths ervery time. But im not sure about the practical use?
I try to get individual sounds - in terms of single synth as "sound universe" I try to get to another dimension ;) Exchanging SF2 files between instruments works for me - results are very often weird, but sometimes also very beautiful.
heinrich_h wrote:BTW: on Guenters homepage lots of additional SF2s can be found. :-)So: just try it.
I'm still discovering more and more sounds from HGF SF2 collections available on archive.org - for sure it will take some time...

Fortune wrote:Crossbreeding is a nice option to get more out of the plugins also in terms of getting a more individual or unique sound ;-) Of course this is a little more work but if you organize your own sf2 files as selections from other files for Your special set this additional work is required only once. On the other hand you got your favourite waves in one or two sf2 files in a dedicated folder for an easy access from different plugins.
And that is exactly what I'm currently doing - using Viena SF2 editor I'm preparing more personal soundbanks as selections from other ones. They will be accessible from all synths working with this format.
And as I said before - it will take some time to browse through your SF2 collections I got from archive.org, so I have large source of material to work with.

I'm late to the party, but I'm interested in working with the soundfonts using a player that I wrote. But, I have no idea of how to extract them from the DLLs. I don't see any soundfonts in the filesystem of the HGF instruments that I have. I recall there being some on his site for download, but I don't think those were from the instruments. I must have downloaded those. I wish I could find them.

So, what's the story? How did you acquire the soundfonts?

Thanks in advance!

To find the HG Fortune sf2 ROM files for his instruments:

Go to where they are installed. Me, I just created a folder named HG Fortune and put all of his instruments there. On Windows this resides in Steinberg/VstPlugins/HG Fortune. For you it may be different.

Then look in the HG Fortune folder for the folders named for the instruments.

For me the first one is Alionoctis Pro.

This has a sub-folder - Alionoctis. It holds the .SEM files, .fxb files and the 4HGFAlionoctis-Rom.sf2 file.

That is what you are looking for.

Not every HG Fortune instrument has an external ROM file .sf2. Some of them have it embedded within the .dll file.

Does that help?

Return to “HG Fortune”