Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
tapper mike
KVRAF

4705 posts since 19 Jan, 2008

Postby tapper mike; Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:35 pm How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

....Non-Facebook

I used to belong to about 10 at a time, HTML, Graphic Design, Interactive Multimedia (Flash) Back End and Scripting, Photography, Transcription / Tablature composers / arrangers. Songwriters the list goes on and on. I'm amazed that I got any sleep or was able to hold down a job due to my commitment / addiction with forums.

Now there is only one forum I'm active at.... KVR
ghettosynth
KVRAF

11029 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:04 pm Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

I find facebook to be a better forum for most things these days. The ability to control your experience is much better than forums. I still belong to a few forums from other topics but my interaction in those forums is much much lower than it ever was here.
Bombadil
KVRAF

1631 posts since 31 Aug, 2013, from The Schwarzwald of My Mind

Postby Bombadil; Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:25 am Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

This one. I avoid guitar forums now because, well, they elicit feelings of 'needing to keep up with the Joneses next door.' I used to scatter myself around, but I am happy here, for the moment. Not too much hostility, no control-freak mods.

FB was better for discussions when they used to allow threads on their Pages. Now they don't, and it can be difficult to find something that was written a while ago.
“Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.”

Kurt Vonnegut
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

10353 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:50 am Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Just here :shrug:
Tj Shredder
KVRian

791 posts since 6 Jan, 2017, from Outer Space

Postby Tj Shredder; Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:43 am Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

ghettosynth wrote:I find facebook to be a better forum for most things these days. The ability to control your experience is much better than forums.

But fb does not show at all all posts posted...
An algorithm is controlling what you read, they just make you belief that you are in control of it...
I only use fb to contact people who only use fb...; - )

I used to hang around on loopers delight, and still come back sometime. But its not a forum, it a list...
As soon cycling 74 shut down their list and switched to a forum I am less often there...
KVR is new to me, so I waste too much time here, but its fun...
ghettosynth
KVRAF

11029 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:22 am Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Tj Shredder wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:I find facebook to be a better forum for most things these days. The ability to control your experience is much better than forums.

But fb does not show at all all posts posted...
An algorithm is controlling what you read, they just make you belief that you are in control of it...
I only use fb to contact people who only use fb...; - )

Yeah, don't care. When I want to see what's going on in a group I just go to that group. FB is a much better way to connect with people and to avoid connecting with people. You can create very specialized groups and focus on the things that are really interesting to you and you will find other people who are also interested in those things.

In part, I think that not showing every "what's your favorite butt plug(in)" thread is an advantage, not a disadvantage. Needing to see everything is a hoarder's disease, like GAS.
AsPeeXXXVIII
KVRist

292 posts since 17 Aug, 2015, from Finland

Postby AsPeeXXXVIII; Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:43 am Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

In addition to this, 6 other ones.
"Creativity is a lot like sex. When it's spontaneous, it's good, but forcing it makes it bad."
My metal music | My electronic music
lotus2035
KVRAF

4082 posts since 5 May, 2005, from Stockholm, Sweden

Postby lotus2035; Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:52 am Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

If I'm gonna harass people online these days Youtube is my arena of choice, only in my spare time mind you, too busy with projects, which is why I don't bother with KVR anymore really, At some stage you just have to knuckle down and stop "preparing" for world domination knowharimean? Those yachts wont buy themselves FFS.
sin night
KVRian

1139 posts since 1 Aug, 2006, from Italy

Postby sin night; Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:57 pm Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Four, all of them about recording / music production (two in english and two in italian). Then I'm registered on two modular synths forums, but I just read them from time to time to learn about diy, I'm not active there.

I was more active on forums in the past years, now I still read them to keep me up-to-date on some subjects, but I don't post as much as I used to. I guess I have less spare time and I'm more tired (because of work)... and also I don't want to write more or less the same things on a lot of different posts, so I post something only when I think it's worth it (well... kinda...).

I also found that I focus on just a few subjects, while I completely ignore most of the threads.
chk071
KVRAF

16409 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:59 pm Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

3 or 4. Only forums i feel comfortable in, though. Especially german forums can be quite a pain, because, well... most germans suck these days. :P
justin3am
KVRAF

10374 posts since 7 May, 2006, from Southern California

Postby justin3am; Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:22 pm Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

This one and sometimes Muff Wiggler.
I tried to do Facebook for a while but it wasn't for me.
Unaspected
KVRist

412 posts since 4 May, 2012

Postby Unaspected; Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:54 pm Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Just one other at the moment. I keep meaning to post here more but I live on FLipside.

I definitely prefer the forum paradigm to Facebook and similar websites.
GaryG
KVRAF

5686 posts since 13 Jan, 2003, from Kent, UK

Postby GaryG; Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:34 am Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Unaspected wrote:I definitely prefer the forum paradigm to Facebook and similar websites.

Yeah, I like the focus of a dedicated forum. As much as I try to target FB (only view the groups I want, one at a time etc) there's still too much going on to distract me. It also seems that forums tend to attract the more dedicated users I find, I guess anyone can casually join a dozen FB groups as they scroll past but to go out of your way to find a dedicated forum shows a higher level of commitment. Whenever I've gone looking for specific advice (diy electronics, guitar finishing etc) I've always found the best on forums.

Having said all that, I find Reddit sub-reddits darn useful too.

As for forums actively involved in, only here and i'm a mod at ambient online but that's about it. Though have signins for a dozen more (Reaper, muff wiggler, gearslutz, SoS...) that I tend to only visit when I need something (shallow... :)
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")
Arcvidean
KVRist

218 posts since 23 Feb, 2006, from Dematerialising

Postby Arcvidean; Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:14 am Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Just KVR and Gearslutz (sometimes).

Arcvidean.
tapper mike
KVRAF

4705 posts since 19 Jan, 2008

Postby tapper mike; Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:25 pm Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

So since starting this thread I've joined another forum. Muse Songwriters. I left songstuff awhile back due to some disagreements with the upper echelon. I miss songstuff there are a lot of great people I feel a real connection to.

I've been fairly active at songwriters in the last two days. It doesn't have the membership that other places have (based on volume) but many of the major contributors I know from elsewhere. I don't know if I want to increase my time their or if it's really slowing me down from achieving other commitments.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic