The Hollow Sun Novachord is now available

Archived support for: hollowsun.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

taijiguy wrote:I purchased it yesterday and spent the evening playing with all the presets. The samples are very organic sounding, but I can't seem to play anything that doesn't sound spooky!
My work is done!!! :wink:

Cheers,

Steve

hollowsun wrote:
taijiguy wrote:I purchased it yesterday and spent the evening playing with all the presets. The samples are very organic sounding, but I can't seem to play anything that doesn't sound spooky!
My work is done!!! :wink:

Cheers,

Steve
:lol:
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

taijiguy wrote:
I purchased it yesterday and spent the evening playing with all the presets. The samples are very organic sounding, but I can't seem to play anything that doesn't sound spooky!

My work is done!!!

Cheers,

Steve
Indeed it is, Steve. Indeed it is. :)

I found the Novachord entries from Dan in the Vintagesynth.com forum here:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=51703

Lot's of pictures from the restoration process and other things like datasheets of components there. Perhaps the most complete story of the whole restoration process.
At the end it also tells the story about the sampling process.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's an attempt to emulate the Novachord in NI Reaktor:
http://co.native-instruments.com/index. ... tchid=8169

The Reaktor ensemble uses the original controls of the Novachord. The sound is interesting but not really close to the sample set IMHO.
To get an idea of the Novachord sound design it's good enough anyway. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's an attempt of the Novachord on the Clavia Nord Modular G2:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-12103.html

Sold my G2 Engine some years ago so i could not test this...
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Here's something that i just wrote in a PM to Steve:

"BTW since i got Konplete 6 with Kontakt 4 i found that the sound quality of the Kontakt programs is superior to the Ableton Sampler patches i made. In Ableton Sampler i had lot of clipping problems which needed to be fixed with a filter that also changed the sound.

Now i started to be "free" from such technical issues and enjoying the Novachord Kontakt patches. Again i have to say this is just amazing, especially when you start to layer patches (which is not possible in the real thing). :love:

Last time i was so much exited when i first played a real Minimoog model D which i sold because of reasons for that i could still shoot myself after thinking about it again... :cry:

Going back to playing those Novachord patches now... :hug: "
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote: Again i have to say this is just amazing, especially when you start to layer patches (which is not possible in the real thing). :love:

Last time i was so much exited when i first played a real Minimoog model D which i sold because of reasons for that i could still shoot myself after thinking about it again... :cry:

Many thanks for all the positive comments. At one stage I genuinely wondered if Novachord #346 would ever make a sound again let alone go on to become the source material for such a wondrous sample set. This makes the sense of achievement all the more poignant.

Just to remind all existing customers and potential customers - Steve stuctured the sample set in such a way as to isolate the raw audio from the programs. This approach was taken purely to permit new programs being introduced by simply downloading new program data. As promised, Steve and I are working on new programs to be released free of charge to existing customers. These will probably been released in small update packs over the months.

Due to the delightfully flexible nature of the sample set these sounds will range from classic vintage Sci-Fi to modern day timbres.

The Novachord Sound Set is proving extremely popular and Steve and I are really hoping to support those customers beyond the normally expected timeframes for such a product.
Home of Novachord #346...

HideawayStudio wrote:
Ingonator wrote: Again i have to say this is just amazing, especially when you start to layer patches (which is not possible in the real thing). :love:

Many thanks for all the positive comments. At one stage I genuinely wondered if Novachord #346 would ever make a sound again let alone go on to become the source material for such a wondrous sample set. This makes the sense of achievement all the more poignant.

Just to remind all existing customers and potential customers - Steve stuctured the sample set in such a way as to isolate the raw audio from the programs. This approach was taken purely to permit new programs being introduced by simply downloading new program data. As promised, Steve and I are working on new programs to be released free of charge to existing customers. These will probably been released in small update packs over the months.

Due to the delightfully flexible nature of the sample set these sounds will range from classic vintage Sci-Fi to modern day timbres.

The Novachord Sound Set is proving extremely popular and Steve and I are really hoping to support those customers beyond the normally expected timeframes for such a product.
Hello Dan,

thanks for posting here and for announcing new Novachord programs.

So do i understand it right that it's not possible to post Kontakt programs without the samples? I just made two modifications of the "NovaBrass" and thought about sharing those programs (and maybe some more...) later, without the samples.

Of course including the samples would not be possible according to the copyright but which possibility is there to post patches/Kontakt programs at KVR for example?
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
HideawayStudio wrote:

Hello Dan,

thanks for posting here and for announcing new Novachord programs.

So do i understand it right that it's not possible to post Kontakt programs without the samples? I just made two modifications of the "NovaBrass" and thought about sharing those programs (and maybe some more...) later, without the samples.

Of course including the samples would not be possible according to the copyright but which possibility is there to post patches/Kontakt programs at KVR for example?
Hello,

We intend to offer an area where both new HS and user supplied patches can be posted. You are right in saying that the main IP is in the raw sample set which is protected under copyright and must not be distributed or embedded in any form or format other than the official Hollow Sun release.

I will ask Steve to set up an area in the Hollow Sun area on KVR for customers to post new patches for all to play with. An official area will be setup for new programs on both the Hollow Sun and Novachord.co.uk websites in the near future.

Many Thanks,

Dan Wilson, Hideaway Studio.
Home of Novachord #346...

Ingonator wrote:So do i understand it right that it's not possible to post Kontakt programs without the samples?
The way it's structured is that all the samples are in one big pool which all the programs point to. If you come up with something interesting, all you have to do is save the program only. Therefore, it is possible to release new programs ad infinitum - people who download them need simply put them in the same place as the other Novachord programs and they should all just work. Furthermore, these progs will be a matter of kilobytes so damned quick to get as well.

But they will be useless to anyone without the samples.

I don't know if I'll have an upload area as such (too sophisticated for me :wink: ) - the simplest thing would be to just email them to me as an attachment (the address is at the site(s) under 'Contact') and I'll sort the rest out and make 'em available. All credit will be given to the contributors of course.

Simple and could be fun to see what others come up with!

Cheers,

Steve

hollowsun wrote:
Ingonator wrote:So do i understand it right that it's not possible to post Kontakt programs without the samples?
The way it's structured is that all the samples are in one big pool which all the programs point to. If you come up with something interesting, all you have to do is save the program only. Therefore, it is possible to release new programs ad infinitum - people who download them need simply put them in the same place as the other Novachord programs and they should all just work. Furthermore, these progs will be a matter of kilobytes so damned quick to get as well.

But they will be useless to anyone without the samples.

I don't know if I'll have an upload area as such (too sophisticated for me :wink: ) - the simplest thing would be to just email them to me as an attachment (the address is at the site(s) under 'Contact') and I'll sort the rest out and make 'em available. All credit will be given to the contributors of course.

Simple and could be fun to see what others come up with!

Cheers,

Steve
Many tanks Steve. This was exactly how i understood it in the first place. The explanation of Dan was confusing me since it sounded like the situation was different...

So as soon as i have a certain amount of new Kotntakt instruments i will publish them. Maybe you could tell me if it's better to send them to you, if i could host them on Rapidshare on my own (links at KVR) or even both.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

At the moment i try to combine the Novachord programs with other sounds. Currently i use the Enhus Synclavier FM Samples and Hollow Sun Matrix 1000, PPG, FS1R, NewTron Bomb and String Synths sets for this.
Later i'll try to add other sample sets and softsynths.

Organizing, layering and modifying instruments in NI Kontakt 4 is really damn easy so i fell in love with both the Novachord programs and Kontakt 4... :love:
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:So as soon as i have a certain amount of new Kotntakt instruments i will publish them. Maybe you could tell me if it's better to send them to you, if i could host them on Rapidshare on my own (links at KVR) or even both.
Just email them to me when you're ready. I'll sort out the 'publishing'.

You can be the first to contribute :wink:

Cheers,

Steve

The Hollow Sun Novachord is now available
Congratulations Steve and Dan !

I will be getting this as soon as my finances allow.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

http://www.hollowsun.com/shop/strings/index.htm <---- String synth samples

You may need to reword your String Synths sample description. Unless there's something else I don't know about. :P
Pre-dating polyphonic synths by some years, string synthesisers used electronic organ 'divide-down' technology to provide a totally polyphonic sawtooth waveform. This was then typically fed through a simple, two stage envelope shaper offering just attack and release and then onto an analogue 'bucket brigade' chorus unit to produce the 'ensemble' effect.

;)

I'll be buying the Novachord samples as soon as I get a few other things out of the way. I think this it's a "must have" purchase, for me anyway.
Last edited by toine6 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:hihi:

Good catch !

I suppose it just needs a * after this sentence: Pre-dating polyphonic synths by some years and a footnote to explain the Novachord's miraculous existence back in 1930s.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

If the Solina or the Eminent is the king of String synths then the Novachord is the emperor...

At the moment the Novachord samples satisfy most of my needs for Synth string sounds (and several more...) which i tried to get by other samples or several synths before.
On the other hand the Hollow Sun "String Synths" sample set is very nice too.
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Hollow Sun”