Vox Continental

Archived support for: hollowsun.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

Hi,

I bought th Virtual Vox Continental from Hollow Sun about 1 month ago, it is fantastic. I am using it with Kontakt and Cubase with monitors speaker.

Now monitors are not great sound reproductions for this specific instrument especially when I play the Doors, do you know what would suite as best Amp and Speakers nothing too expensive but good enough to get nice sound for playing gig in a pub.

Most important do you know the setting that Ray Manzarek the Doors was using? I need to set the setting or any effect in the Virtual Vox there is anybody that has done that?

Thanks
Davide Violante

dviolante wrote:do you know the setting that Ray Manzarek the Doors was using?
It depends which song - he played a variety of different sounds. I'm sure he was constantly tweaking settings and didn't ever play the same song with exactly the same sounds each time.

I don't know what settings he used (and amazingly couldn't any reference to them anywhere) but what he said ^^^

Also, Manzarek actually only used a Vox on the first album. He used a Gibson K101 after that.

Cheers,

Stephen

hollowsun wrote:I don't know what settings he used (and amazingly couldn't any reference to them anywhere) but what he said ^^^

Also, Manzarek actually only used a Vox on the first album. He used a Gibson K101 after that.

Cheers,

Stephen
Do you know what the best Amp to use together with some speaker, I am not talking about specific brands but the type of Amp and Speakers, apparently the main reason to get a close sound to the one of the Doors is connected to the Speaker and moreover to the Amp
Davide Violante

I was looking for the settings for the break on Through

That was made with the Vox Continental and he used specific M Draw-bar Settings

Any Ideas? I need to get close sound not exactly the same, the trouble is that as default setting the sound is far from be close to the Doors sound.
Davide Violante

You're going to have a lot of problems reproducing it on modern equipment. It's likely that he used whatever keyboard amp he had available, and probably live in the studio then overdubbed, so you'll get bleed from other instruments and the production could easily have cut out a lot of the sound to clean that up. There was probably what is now considered vintage hardware used for compression, reverb, etc., so that will be hard to reproduce exactly.

No telling how old the equipment was or if it had been used live and driven hard to give it that sound. I think the only thing you can really do is to just use trial and error. If you can't find details of what he used online, lookup what was commonly used at the time for other keyboard amps, but remember that you might want to include guitar amps too, as they could be used quite often as they were far more prevalent.

Indeed.

Looking at photos of Manzarek on the net, he seems to be connected to any old guitar amp or combo. One I saw was particularly beaten up and I couldn't even determine what make of guitar combo it was!

I can't find any definitive details of his drawbar settings possibly because he didn't have any - this was the mid-60s, hippy and drug culture and The Doors ... I suspect they just 'went for it' with no hard and fast rules. They say that if you can remember the 60s, you weren't there - I suspect even Ray doesn't remember what settings or gear he used!! ;)

As Mr Jam suggests, try just playing around with it. There's an amp/cab simulator on the effects page which might be coaxed into action (but a 'real' amp would probably be more appropriate).

Sorry I can't be more help.

Cheers,

Stephen

I'd guess maybe an amp sim for a Vox or Fender amp from the 60s? Probably with the gain up quite high too.

I think the Fender Bassman was popular for all sorts of instruments then. And with the Rhodes Key Bass, it would work GREAT.

I used to play a real orange top Vox with the "S" stand in a new wave band 30 years ago. It was a tough instrument to keep tuned and to cart around, so consider yourself lucky! But I STILL miss that Continental sound... sigh.

For modern use I'd recommend something with a tube pre or power amp, just to take a little edge off the bright beast.
With those top drawbars out, mine could clean your teeth! :hihi:

KVR/esoundz: Xenobt

Hi all,

I bought the Amp from Ev and a pair of passive Speakers from Ev too. They both used for live stage band

My Powerfull laptop is running Cubase with Kontakt.

Now the virtual Vox is Roching the sound is unbealivale isn't exctly the same as the Doors but very close. I mean people last night at the rehearsel were in shock as for them the sound was actually the same.

Thanks all of you
Davide Violante

dviolante wrote:Now the virtual Vox is Roching the sound is unbealivale isn't exctly the same as the Doors but very close. I mean people last night at the rehearsel were in shock as for them the sound was actually the same.
Excellent :)

Xenobt wrote:With those top drawbars out, mine could clean your teeth!
Hmmmm....

So with the Conti cleaning your teeth and the Taurus pedals giving you a colonic irrigation, maybe I should stress the health benefits of my libraries! ;)

Cheers,

Stephen

Return to “Hollow Sun”