Cognosphere from Hollow Sun

Archived support for: hollowsun.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am very pleased to announce the release of an exciting new Music Laboratory Machine for Kontakt 4.2.3.... 'Cognosphere'...

With six vintage valve/tube oscillators and noise generator from the 40s and 50s, each of them individually editable with a multi-wave LFO, multi-mode filter and two envelopes, Cognosphere re-purposes more naval equipment for a unique GUI and sound generating machine.

But at the heart of this is that central cog - turn that rusty old thing and new sounds are generated at random that hark back to the early days of pioneering electronica and the valve sound generators add genuine authenticity.

These are enhanced by a comprehensive chain of multiFX that comprise distortion and cab simulation, chorus, phaser, flanger, rotary speaker, echo and convolved reverb with a wide range of impulses from vintage springs to plates, rooms, halls and huge, spacious ambiences...

DETAILS

AUDIO DEMO - a montage of randomly generated Cognosphere sounds

It can do pads and leads and basses, etc., but its heart is in abstract electronica and as such is an essential tool for anyone wanting to add texture to almost any modern genre. A must-have for soundtrack/film/game composers too for adding some eery atmosphere.

It is available now for £10

Cheers,

Stephen

NOTE : It will work with the Kontakt Player but only in 'demo' mode and the session will be time limited.

Groovy!

i love this thing :love:

it inspired my new tune, getting me out of a slight rut in the process.
great work as ever Stephen!

neil.

Great stuff, Neil.

Glad to have inspired! It's what it's all about! :)

Cheers,

Stephen

Hey all - a short review of Cognosphere is up at Plughugger. Cool stuff again - especially when used with the distortion. I really hope there will be more instruments in this series.

http://www.plughugger.com/1/post/2012/0 ... phere.html

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Thanks Dr. Another great review from you :)

Cheers,

Stephen

hollowsun wrote:Thanks Dr. Another great review from you :)

Cheers,

Stephen
Well - it's you who make it easy :hihi:
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I'm having a great time with Cognosphere (as well as the other MLM's), but having a hard time fine tuning the oscillators. Using the Shift key (on a PC) seems to help, but I still can't seem to dial in a precise setting of, say, -24.00 without a lot of fiddling. I've checked the manual, but didn't see any specific reference to fine tuning (unless I missed it). Can someone clue me in? Thanks...

Steve
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one...Einstein

Right, regarding tuning in Cognosphere, I'm aware of it. It's not really precise, but then on the other hand the instrument was intended to be as chaotic and as imprecise as possible! :)

I'll see if Steve is up for a small upgrade (basically just an overwrite of the NKR file) so that holding Alt would set things in semitone steps.

Yes, I'd be up for an upgrade if it would help.

I have to agree with The Dragon though - it's designed for random, aural chaos (as are most of the MLMs!!!) ;)

Cheers,

Stephen

Right; I completely agree. The emphasis for Cognosphere (as well as other MLM's) is on the "in between conditions" so to speak. I would suggest though, that adding the ability to precisely dial in frequency and other values would simply make it easier to produce a range of sounds that these cool devices are already capable of. This would not only be helpful for big tonal sounds, but also to dial in specific oscillator frequencies for particular effects. Just my humble two cents, but I'd vote for this tweak, if practicable.

Steve
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one...Einstein

Stephen and Mario, thank you for making these wonderful devices!

havran wrote:Stephen and Mario, thank you for making these wonderful devices!
:)

Glad you like them.

Cheers,

Stephen

SBall wrote:Using the Shift key (on a PC) seems to help, but I still can't seem to dial in a precise setting of, say, -24.00 without a lot of fiddling.
Something regarding this is on horizon. Holding Alt key will round the Tune knobs to semitones. Then by holding Shift and moving the Tune knobs you will be able to offset them additionally in cents.

;)

Newsletter sent to all Cogno customers.

Thanks Mr Dragon - nice addition.

Cheers,

Stephen

Return to “Hollow Sun”