Cognosphere from Hollow Sun

Archived support for: hollowsun.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any chance of a tweak such that hitting the random dial when a sound is playing doesn't cause that short burst of break-up noise? I'm not sure what the best transition solution would be offhand, but most anything would be an improvement. Perhaps a forced fade ending with the random change for the next incoming note?

I have a fairly large eurorack modular, and I tend to use it to make weird, experimental sounds. I've resisted the urge to pick up any of the Music Laboratory Machines because, quite frankly, I'm afraid that I'll just click the randomize button a few times and use that instead of patching up noises on my modular.

But you know what? Life is too short. These are awesome instruments, and I'm only cheating myself by not enjoying them. I think I'll pick up the whole set tomorrow. :party:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

jneilnyc wrote:Any chance of a tweak such that hitting the random dial when a sound is playing doesn't cause that short burst of break-up noise? I'm not sure what the best transition solution would be offhand, but most anything would be an improvement. Perhaps a forced fade ending with the random change for the next incoming note?
I am not sure if that's possible, really. Sorry. My first suggestion would be not clicking the random dial before the sound fades out itself, and my second suggestion would be clicking the "!" button in top right corner of Kontakt's interface to reset the audio engine.

EvilDragon wrote:
jneilnyc wrote:Any chance of a tweak such that hitting the random dial when a sound is playing doesn't cause that short burst of break-up noise? I'm not sure what the best transition solution would be offhand, but most anything would be an improvement. Perhaps a forced fade ending with the random change for the next incoming note?
I am not sure if that's possible, really. Sorry. My first suggestion would be not clicking the random dial before the sound fades out itself, and my second suggestion would be clicking the "!" button in top right corner of Kontakt's interface to reset the audio engine.
I'm trying to use it in a *really* random fashion, which ideally would mean that any note sent to this MLM would trigger a new sound that might also be in a new voice. In this case there's no way of knowing for sure when the previous voice has finished sounding. I don't know if there's some way of allocating more voices internally such that an incoming "randomize' is allocated a parallel track and thus lets the previous voice complete, if that makes sense. Either that or some sort of buffer that continues to sound the previous note while the randomizing is occurring...

I'm sure it could be faked on my end with multiple instances of Cogniture and some sort of round-robin system of triggering that would minimize the chance of a 'randomize' and a sounding voice being sent to the same channel in a way that would collide, but that seems resource intensive and I was hoping that there might be some better way.

jneilnyc wrote:I don't know if there's some way of allocating more voices internally such that an incoming "randomize' is allocated a parallel track and thus lets the previous voice complete, if that makes sense. Either that or some sort of buffer that continues to sound the previous note while the randomizing is occurring...
Sorry, that can't be done, really. The randomizer changes instrument parameters instantly. Some of those changes apply to all currently sounding notes, some are not. That's just the nature of how Kontakt behaves. Scripting can do nothing about it.
jneilnyc wrote:I'm sure it could be faked on my end with multiple instances of Cognosphere and some sort of round-robin system of triggering that would minimize the chance of a 'randomize' and a sounding voice being sent to the same channel in a way that would collide, but that seems resource intensive and I was hoping that there might be some better way.
For sure you might be able to use multiple instances of Cognosphere, each set to its own MIDI channel, and a multiscript to forward each played key to the next MIDI channel, then wrap around to MIDI channel 1, but it's a very roundabout way of doing things. It could work, though.

BTW, loading multiple instances of Cognosphere does not load samples multiple times (just once, then shares them between all loaded instances), however there is some resource overhead for graphics (they don't seem to be shared) and other internal Kontakt-related stuff (variables, engine parameters, whatever).

However, the randomizer is how it is, and it's very likely that it's going to remain that way, for reasons stated above. I do hope that you're still enjoying Cognosphere in spite of its randomizing shortcomings (which are not my scripting faults at all, mind you).

Thanks, I'll figure out a workaround. And yes, love all the MLMs!

deastman wrote:I have a fairly large eurorack modular, and I tend to use it to make weird, experimental sounds. I've resisted the urge to pick up any of the Music Laboratory Machines because, quite frankly, I'm afraid that I'll just click the randomize button a few times and use that instead of patching up noises on my modular.
Nah! You'll still use the modular. Don't forget I have a modular here too and just because I have the MLMs doesn't mean it gets used less and the quirkiness of the MLMs sits nicely alongside the madness of a modular!
deastman wrote:But you know what? Life is too short. These are awesome instruments, and I'm only cheating myself by not enjoying them. I think I'll pick up the whole set tomorrow. :party:
:)

Cheers,

Stephen

EvilDragon wrote:
SBall wrote:Using the Shift key (on a PC) seems to help, but I still can't seem to dial in a precise setting of, say, -24.00 without a lot of fiddling.
Something regarding this is on horizon. Holding Alt key will round the Tune knobs to semitones. Then by holding Shift and moving the Tune knobs you will be able to offset them additionally in cents.

;)
So...for us mac users, what's this when it's at home? I've tried holding command (zeroes the semitones) and shift (doesn't seem to do anything) and option, and command-shift (nothing) and control (learn MIDI cc) and...

Well, I just want to tune this. I just got the thing last week so I would expect this to be the latest version...

Any help?

It IS the latest version and, as a Mac user/developer, it's exactly as described
NullDevice wrote:I've tried holding command (zeroes the semitones) and shift (doesn't seem to do anything) and option, and command-shift (nothing) and control (learn MIDI cc) and...

Well, I just want to tune this. I just got the thing last week so I would expect this to be the latest version...
It IS the latest version.

Unmodified, the TUNE control is in semitone steps; with SHIFT pressed, the tune control is smooth and fine ... on my Mac. And this is with the 'standalone' Cognosphere and the one (same version) included in the MLM Suite. I just downloaded both to make sure they're the latest versions.

Not my intended way of spending Christmas day but ho-hum!

Cheers,

Stephen

I expected you to reply, like, next week. :)

I just figured I was doing something wrong. I'll figure it out. Thanks!

And unfortunately, devs have to anticipate and be on guard against people carpet bombing the forums with "Yeah, well, like, I contacted XYZ on their official forum and, like, didn't receive a reply within 14 nanoseconds so they are are, like sh!t and stuff - don't have anything to do with them coz they are like rubbish" ;)

Merry Christmas! ;)

Cheers,

Stephen

Alt on PC = Opt on Mac.

So, the breakdown is:

Shift - finetuning
Ctrl/Cmd - default to zero
Alt/Opt - tuning in semitones

Return to “Hollow Sun”