New Hollow Sun DRUMBOX

Archived support for: hollowsun.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

....the announcement arrived yesterday in my email, very interesting in deed.... 8)

http://www.hollowsun.com/HS2/products/drumbox/index.htm

Looking forward to some more examples. Is this a custom made player? The quality, in my not so young anymore ears, is way above everything possible with soundcloud.

Could you post a list of the 55 :o machines used? What is the x-button beside solo and mute for?

The layout and tasteful GUI is easy on the eyes. Your GUI designer deserves an extra Pint.
Best wishes
OVS

Oceanviewstudio wrote:Is this a custom made player? The quality, in my not so young anymore ears, is way above everything possible with sound cloud.
You mean the player on the webpage?

It's a semi-customised player from Wimpy - I tarted up the skin a bit graphically for my own purposes.

As for quality, the demos are 320kbps MP3s and (arguably) largely indistinguishable from the raw WAV originals. I don't know if SoundCloud bolloxes up sound quality (like YouTube, for example) but my understanding is that it doesn't.
Oceanviewstudio wrote:What is the x-button beside solo and mute for?
That's the MUTE GROUP function and used for exclusive triggering of certain types samples - for example, open and closed hi-hats, open and closed triangles where one sample has to cut the other off.

So, for example, you could/would assign open and closed hats to mute group 1 by clicking on that button to increment it to '1'.

There are four mute groups you can use. 'X' indicates no mute group.
Oceanviewstudio wrote:The layout and tasteful GUI is easy on the eyes. Your GUI designer deserves an extra Pint.
That'll be me then - s'gonna be a good and drunken evening! No change there, then! ;-)

Cheers,

Steve

hollowsun wrote: As for quality, the demos are 320kbps MP3s and (arguably) largely indistinguishable from the raw WAV originals. I don't know if SoundCloud bolloxes up sound quality (like YouTube, for example) but my understanding is that it doesn't.
Ah well, that explains it, Soundcloud takes everything back to 128 kbps.
That's the MUTE GROUP function and used for exclusive triggering of certain types samples - for example, open and closed hi-hats, open and closed triangles where one sample has to cut the other off.
Interesting. Thanks.
Oceanviewstudio wrote:The layout and tasteful GUI is easy on the eyes. Your GUI designer deserves an extra Pint.
hollowsun wrote: That'll be me then - s'gonna be a good and drunken evening! No change there, then! ;-)
:D Someone recently invited me to a glas of - very dangerous - homemade "potchin" no idea how that is spelled, but thats how it sounds like. That stuff had around 90 rpm's. I had a taste, but preferred to stay with my pint then... bloody hell. :lol:
Best wishes
OVS

Yes - but you're based in Ireland and they brew some real paint stripper there! ;)

Is there a list of the hardware used? I bought this beast and I am curious :-D

There isn't a list, but some googling should help. A lot of the pieces are really familiar.

Here are the "obfuscated" model names straight from the script:

ACR20
AutoVari
CR78
CR1000
CR8000
DD10
DDD1
DDM110
DDM220
DPM48
DR55
DR220
DRM1
DRM16
Drumlater
DrumSynth
DrumTraks
E-Drum
HR16
IICX
KR55
LM1
LM2
M185
MFB501
MFB512
MiniPops
ObieDX
ProWave
R50
Rhythm12
RhythmAce
RhythmGen
RhythmII
RhythmKing
RX11
RZ1
SCI Tom
SP12
SR88
Studio440
SwingRtm
Synsonic
TR33
TR55
TR66
TR77
TR505
TR606
TR707
TR727
TR808
TR909
XE8
XR10

I think you can guess the manufacturers for at least 85% of those :)

Perfect!!!!!! Many thanks!

I just bought this product and it is even better than I thought it was gonna be. The demos on the Hollow Sun web site did almost nothing to properly promote this product, but the product itself is very well put together. It is so easy manipulate each drum hit and to give it the Lofi flavour that we've come to expect from vintage drum machine sounds, as well as to add presence, other effects, and to change individual kit pieces to any kit piece from any other drumbox.

I'm very happy with this purchase.

I hope that there will be an update in future with some additional drum machines, since I was watching some cool YouTube videos with vintage models that are not included in the collection and wishing that I could have ready access those sounds as well.

Would also be cool if a future version would come with a bunch of midi loops with the kind basic rhythmic patterns that the units could generate.
Somewhere in the background zedd

zedd wrote:I just bought this product and it is even better than I thought it was gonna be. The demos on the Hollow Sun web site did almost nothing to properly promote this product, but the product itself is very well put together. It is so easy manipulate each drum hit and to give it the Lofi flavour that we've come to expect from vintage drum machine sounds, as well as to add presence, other effects, and to change individual kit pieces to any kit piece from any other drum box.

I'm very happy with this purchase.
:)
zedd wrote:I hope that there will be an update in future with some additional drum machines, since I was watching some cool YouTube videos with vintage models that are not included in the collection and wishing that I could have ready access those sounds as well.

Would also be cool if a future version would come with a bunch of midi loops with the kind basic rhythmic patterns that the units could generate.
Something we can entertain at some point perhaps. No immediate plans, though.

Cheers,

Stephen

I just bought the DrumBox but my Kontakt 5 can't install it as a library (via "Add Library").
Am I doing something wrong or do I have to load the patches via the browser?
Thanks,
Florian

flonky wrote:I just bought the DrumBox but my Kontakt 5 can't install it as a library (via "Add Library").
Am I doing something wrong or do I have to load the patches via the browser?
I've not paid the not insubstantial sum of money to NI to have this (or my other instruments) to be licensed. They will work perfectly with the full vernon of Kontakt (and with restrictions with the Kontakt Player) BUT...

You can't 'Add Library' as you can with licensed libraries - you will have to launch the program(s) from Kontakt's Browser or by locating the folder and double clicking on the relevant NKI/dragging the relevant NKI onto the Kontakt 'rack'.

Cheers,

Stephen

Just use the Files browser in Kontakt. You can also add Drumbox to Kontakt's QuickLoad (read about it in the manual, please).

Can't believe the value for money. All those machines for £15. Only problem is I'm obsessing on the LM2 and can't get around to any of the others.

I'm finding this Library great value for the money, and a nice spectrum of drum machines represented. I do find that the Reverb seems spikey in CPU usage (average moves my cpu usage from about 25% (with the plugs reverb disabled) to (varying between) 40%- 80%). Sometimes cpu spikes will hit 100% and add audio artifacts. This is on a modern Mac Pro with plenty of ram.

I don't have any CPU overages if I turn-off the reverb on the patches though. I hope the person working on the script can take another look at this.

Loving this set, other than the reverb issues.

Kevin L

Dunno.

Kontakt's convolution reverb can be a bit CPU intensive I am told but no such issues here to speak of.

Glad you like it otherwise though.

Cheers,

Stephen

Return to “Hollow Sun”