NewTron bomb manual install ?

Archived support for: hollowsun.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey fellas/gals. I was reading about available options for a 64bit version of a mellotron vst. I have sampletron and I like it, but I am now using studio one 2 in 64 bit. The only thing I found in reading was on a forum and they said it was Hollow Sun's Newtron bomb. I went to the site and couldn't find where it said specifically 64 bit.

Anyway, I downloaded it and there is no installer when I unzipped the download.

Questions:

1. Is NewTron bomb really 64 bit compatible? ( I assumed it was based on forums)

2. How do I manually install this in Kontakt and the samples where they need to
go? I have never manually installed a program before as everything I have came
with an installer and I just had to choose directory.

I emailed Steve 3 times directly at steve@hollowsun.com and have never gotten
a reply. He may just be busy or whatever and from what I've read he is a top
notch guy who is highly regarded. I guess I don't want to keep bothering him
with potentially a stupid question, it's just I bought this and am really
anxious to play this thing.

I will post a screenshot of unzipped folder so you all can see it and maybe help me out if possible. I am new to this stuff so trying to learn. Thanks fellas.

Well, I can't figure out how to post a screen capture. Apparently it has to be an image on the web only from what I just read. So I'll type it manually.

Contents of unzipped file:

K3 New Tron II

Samples (folder) 117 Mb file folder
.DS_Store DS_STORE File
Tron 16 Violins.nki
Tron Boys Choir.nki
Tron Brass.nki
Tron Flute.nki
Tron Mixed Choir.nki
Tron Mixed Strings.nki
Tron Phaedra Strings.nki
Tron Violins.nki
Tron Watcher.nki
Users Guide.pdf (doesn't have any install information in it)

I think the .DS Store is for Mac and not used in my case.

That's what's in the folder and nothing else. Does it look like anythings missing? If not how do I get this into Kontakt 5 ?
I have a dedicated OS drive, sample drive, audio recordings drive, and backup drive. I am running windows 7 64 bit i7 2600 processor, 16 gigs of ram, studio one 2 (64 bit)

I really appreciate any help with this fellas. Thanks, Nate.

:help:

Doc Brown wrote:1. Is NewTron bomb really 64 bit compatible? ( I assumed it was based on forums)
If the version of Kontakt you're using is 64-bit compatible, then yes ... it is.
Doc Brown wrote:2. How do I manually install this in Kontakt and the samples where they need to
go? I have never manually installed a program before as everything I have came
with an installer and I just had to choose directory.
There is no need to 'Install' it. It downloads, should automatically unzip, and presto - it's ready for use. You can move the NewTron folder wherever you want (in with your other library if you choose) but there is no specific 'Install' procedure required.
Doc Brown wrote: I emailed Steve 3 times directly at steve@hollowsun.com and have never gotten
a reply. He may just be busy or whatever and from what I've read he is a top
notch guy who is highly regarded.
Hmmmm ... that's another email (or three) that has not arrived here! :?
Doc Brown wrote:Contents of unzipped file:

K3 New Tron II

Samples (folder) 117 Mb file folder
.DS_Store DS_STORE File
Tron 16 Violins.nki
Tron Boys Choir.nki
Tron Brass.nki
Tron Flute.nki
Tron Mixed Choir.nki
Tron Mixed Strings.nki
Tron Phaedra Strings.nki
Tron Violins.nki
Tron Watcher.nki
Users Guide.pdf (doesn't have any install information in it)
That's it, the package.

The NKIs are the programs/patches/whatever you want to call them and they call up the samples in the 'Samples' folder when loaded.

If you double click on any one of the XXX.nki files, it should just load. If Kontakt is open, the selected Tron will be added to theKontakt 'rack'; if Kontakt isn't open, it will launch and you can begin playing. It really is simple. And yes, they will work with K5 (just checked).
Doc Brown wrote:I think the .DS Store is for Mac and not used in my case.
Correct. It's an 'invisible' file on the Mac used for internal housekeeping. You can dump it - it's of no use to you on a PC.

Hope that helps and sorry I missed your emails - that's most odd. Just had a trawl through everything here and I just didn't receive them at all.

Whatever, this should sort you out. Just double click on an NKI and have fun!

Cheers,

Stephen

1. This is down to Kontakt, not down to the individual libraries themselves. So yes, as long as you're using 64-bit version of Kontakt, that's good.

2. You're right, the .DS_Store files are Mac-related and you can freely delete them as they don't serve any purpose on Windows. You just unpack this anywhere you want on your hard drive (or, better yet, dedicated sample libraries hard drive). I keep stuff organized like this:

F:\Samples\<vendor>\<library name>\

F: being my sample libraries drive. So, in my case, I would have the library unpacked to F:\Samples\Hollow Sun\, which would create "K3 New Tron II" folder within and unpack all necessary files in there.

From that point onward, use the file browser within Kontakt (you enable the left-side browser by pressing F1 within Kontakt), browse to the folder where you unpacked the library, and load the NKI you want.

It's pretty straight-forward.

You can also just double click on the required NKI in the (in your case, Mr Dragon) F:\Samples\Hollow Sun\K3 New Tron II folder.

You can also drag the required NKI from that folder onto the Kontakt rack to load it.

I'm assuming it's the same in Windows but here on the Mac, you can also drag the required NKI onto the application's icon (or an alias of it) which will also load it.

It's all very flexible and straightforward.

NOTE: I know you know all this, Mr Dragon - this is for the benefit of the good Doctor (and anyone else who wasn't aware of this).

Cheers,

Stephen

Wow. Thanks fellas! I really appreciate the reply and input dragon. Stephen I thank you for responding and helping me out. You're a class act.

Now...about the product.

I LOVE these tron sounds! At first I thought man what's with the cathedral like reverb going on here...and then I realized that the reverb and delay are maxed out on all the samples by default. I was smiling the whole time playing and experimenting with these things. Great job Hollow Sun. You guys made a believer out of me.

The last question I have is there a banner (for lack of a better word for the library part of Kontakt 5? Probably a horrible way to put it... When I go into kontakt 5 all of my libraries show up under the libraries column with a wide banner and when you click on the instruments portion of the banner, it brings up the individual instruments. Is there a way I can do that with New Tron or do I just simply have to go under the files tab and go that route as evildragon suggested? I guess it would be nice and convenient to have all my kontakt libraries under the library tab with a nice little banner. If not no big deal as I know where they are at...I moved them to my samples drive and created a hollow sun folder and stuck them in there as evildragon suggested. Thanks again man. KVR is awesome. Thanks again fellas. 8)

Doc Brown wrote:The last question I have is there a banner (for lack of a better word for the library part of Kontakt 5? Probably a horrible way to put it... When I go into kontakt 5 all of my libraries show up under the libraries column with a wide banner and when you click on the instruments portion of the banner, it brings up the individual instruments. Is there a way I can do that with New Tron or do I just simply have to go under the files tab and go that route as evildragon suggested? I guess it would be nice and convenient to have all my kontakt libraries under the library tab with a nice little banner. If not no big deal as I know where they are at...I moved them to my samples drive and created a hollow sun folder and stuck them in there as evildragon suggested. Thanks again man. KVR is awesome. Thanks again fellas. 8)

Nope, that is reserved for licenced Kontakt Player libraries. Hollow Sun as of yet does not have any such libraries, instead you are required to load them in the full version of Kontakt. Even though you can load them in the free Kontakt Player as well, but with a time limit of 15 minutes per session.

Doc Brown wrote:Wow. Thanks fellas! I really appreciate the reply and input dragon. Stephen I thank you for responding and helping me out. You're a class act.
Oh pish and piffle! Glad to be of service. And glad you like it.
Doc Brown wrote:I LOVE these tron sounds! At first I thought man what's with the cathedral like reverb going on here...and then I realized that the reverb and delay are maxed out on all the samples by default. I was smiling the whole time playing and experimenting with these things. Great job Hollow Sun. You guys made a believer out of me.
Thank you kindly! :)

Yes - I smothered them in reverb because that's how they were mostly heard. You can always back it off a bit if you prefer.

I used to have an M400 and always lathered it with reverb (back then, a manky, cheap spring!!!) but I was a massive fan of Japanese synthmeister, Tomita Isao, and he always went for a massive, angelic and heavenly Tron sound. He always said he wanted his music to sound liked it was recorded in a massive cathedral ... listen to his version of Debussy's 'La cathédrale engloutie' ('The Engulfed Cathedral') from his album 'Snowflakes are dancing' - sheer Mellotron goodness in excess. Hang on...

HERE

At around 2.15.

That record was made in 1971!

HERE'S ANOTHER

'Pavane pour une infante défunte' (Pavane for a dead princess) by Ravel.

Mr Tomita used to put his Tron through his Moog modular to adjust tone - you can achieve much the same using the filters scripted into NewTron's panel.

Enjoy your Trons!

Cheers,

Stephen

I just picked up Hollow Sun's Newtron Bomb III and Optomotron. Nice deal! No regret or buyers remorse here. Bomb III is all I hoped for in a Mellotron collection, but even more playable, musical, and inspirational. Optomotron is a pleasant surprise. I read somewhere that the original instrument was made by Mattel, the toy company. Well, thanks to Hollow Sun it's now a toy I plan to play with. Very cool stuff. Glad I didn't pay more of another sample library of this kind. I had no problem downloading and unzipping. I did, however, use Kontakt to BATCH COMPRESS the .wav files. This is not necessary, but I'm a minimalist and like to keep everything small and tight (I'm resisting an off-color joke here). All in all, I'm a happy user.

Return to “Hollow Sun”