Calling all Hollow Sun users! - K4/K5 poll

Archived support for: hollowsun.com

Would you like Hollow Sun to start utilising K5 features?

Yes - start switching to K5
54%
No - please remain with K4
23%
Having both would be cool!
23%

Total votes: 113

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, everyone!

Here's Hollow Sun's resident scripter. Steve and I had some slight discussions about should we start using some of new Kontakt 5 features. The new filters are probably the biggest reason of my initial suggestion to start developing for K5 along with K4. There are other features that K5 has which might impact HS libraries, like instrument busses, new effects, and some new scripting features.

I'd like to ask the lot of you - would you like to see us keep going with K4, would you like us to start switching to K5 (because K6 release might happen not so far away), or would you like us to go K5 exclusively? Having a product developed for K4 and K5 in tandem is going to increase the workload somewhat, it might result in the product versions offering different functionality, and it might ever so slightly impact the final price, because of the workload involved.

Please, vote! It is much appreciated!

I'm really glad you asked, as I am having issues supporting (buying/upgrading to) Kontakt 5.

I don't use any of Kontakts stock sounds, so personally, I don't see it as an "upgrade". What I DO see is that it will or may not support my investment in many 3rd party instruments/effects, and forces them into premature obsolescence, unless I run both 4 and 5, if v5 offered something irresistable.

NI not offering backward compatibility with very recent programs is disturbing, and counter productive to my needs, though I can load my own things just fine, sooo...

I'm finally breaking-out Scriptorium, which I bought years ago, and I hope it works with v4. :D

[2c]
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Scriptorium is not a Kontakt Player library, so it will work with v4.

Also, Kontakt 5 in fact IS backwards compatible. You can load all K1-K4 patches and libraries in it without fail. Kontakt has never been forwards compatible, though (meaning that you can load newer version patch in an older version. This is a rarity in computer world anyways.)

Lowest Common Denominator principle:

More options are better than less. since K5 is fully backwards compatible alway develop in K2/K3 unless the library will be compromised without some feature exclusive to K4 or K5.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

The trouble is that I don't have K2 and/or K3 - I only have K4 and K5 (which I got in Komplete 8). And IIRC Steve lost the install discs for K3 or something (brain fart here, I forgot what happened), so he's on K4 as well. So, we won't be going back to K2/3, simply because scripting is much more limited there - and as I said to you in PM, most polls say that K4 is currently the most widespread Kontakt version.

K5 please!

EvilDragon wrote:Hello, everyone!

Here's Hollow Sun's resident scripter. Steve and I had some slight discussions about should we start using some of new Kontakt 5 features. The new filters are probably the biggest reason of my initial suggestion to start developing for K5 along with K4. There are other features that K5 has which might impact HS libraries, like instrument busses, new effects, and some new scripting features.

I'd like to ask the lot of you - would you like to see us keep going with K4, would you like us to start switching to K5 (because K6 release might happen not so far away), or would you like us to go K5 exclusively? Having a product developed for K4 and K5 in tandem is going to increase the workload somewhat, it might result in the product versions offering different functionality, and it might ever so slightly impact the final price, because of the workload involved.

Please, vote! It is much appreciated!

I'd personally prefer K4 right now, but it depends what happens with Komplete9. I'd say hold off at K4 until we know what's in that, you may find yourself in a K4/K5/K6 split...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

EvilDragon wrote:Scriptorium is not a Kontakt Player library, so it will work with v4.

Also, Kontakt 5 in fact IS backwards compatible. You can load all K1-K4 patches and libraries in it without fail. Kontakt has never been forwards compatible, though (meaning that you can load newer version patch in an older version. This is a rarity in computer world anyways.)
Ah!!! Cool, thanks :) ... my bad.

I wasn't too sure, and admit I had not checked thoroughly enough... I have full v2, v3 ,v4, and I can stay with v4 until I can't resist a *must-have* feature in an upcoming version.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Seems to me you should just ask what version of Kontakt everyone is running. Who running V4 would vote for V5? Who running V5 would care if V4 were supported.

But since you ask ... V5, please. I tend to skip Komplete upgrades that have odd version numbers. An upgrade every two years seems quite adequate. So don't be asking about support for Kontakt 6, OK? :D

Kontakt is backwards compatible with all previous versions.

K5 is still too new for patch creation unless your library is using K5 specific features.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

4 please. 5ers can still use....

K5 please - the new features are awesome.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

To my ears K5 sounds better,K4 is nice but not taking advantage of the improved filters would be a shame.
Even if Kontakt gets updated to K6 it will be a while before developers start making libraries for it.
IMO if developers were to develop 3rd party libraries now that didn't take advantage of Kontakt 5's improvements with
K6 on the horizon would be counterproductive and limit newer libraries long term usefulness,marketability and viability.
If making libraries that would work well with both K4 & K5 takes up substantially more time,labor and cost to development I say move forward to make 5 the new standard.
If NI is going to update to K6 I'd suspect NI would have some kind of crazy Kontakt 5 upgrade sale before this,which will make it very cheap for users to take advantage of.
From a marketing standpoint when I see requirements for a library is K3.5,I usually hold off knowing its older,limited with scripting and filters and is probably dated.I suspect users will feel the same way about libraries that require K4 pretty soon.
Move forward!
:D
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

This is a no brainer!

FORWARD MARCH!!!! K5 SUPPORT!!!! NEVER LOOK BACK!!!!!

:tu:

March forward but don't forget your market... I mean past... 4 for life!! Lol....

Return to “Hollow Sun”