Pulstar - new from Hollow Sun...

Archived support for: hollowsun.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We have an exciting new product out, available now, called 'Pulstar'. It's part of a new range we call 'Alien Devices' which will be intriguing instruments with unique and intuitive GUIs. Pulstar is the first of these...

Layer sounds together from 64 extensively multi-sampled waveforms taken from the best digital and analogue synthesisers, modulars as well as tape playback keyboards, valve test oscillators, a certain valve synth from 1939 and more. Use the large dials to affect tone and 'size'. TONE offers a variation on Z-Plane filtering, sweeping through various filter responses in one rotation. These can be assigned to MIDI continuous controllers for real time control. 'SIZE' offers quick and easy superficial tweaking of envelope times.

The blend control allows you to morph between the two layers and the 'Serendipity' button will create new patches at random to inspire you into different directions you might not have considered. Oh... and there are 50 presets to get you started.

It's a pad monster and a powerful synth in its own right. With two levels of interface... one giving simple and quick access to parameters with its large dials, there's a deeper level if you want to roll your sleeves up and get your programming hands dirty...

And to round this off, there's a comprehensive multi-FX section...

Pulstar is available now at an introductory price of £20 over the seasonal period.

DETAILS

AUDIO DEMO

We've also tied up with Zapzorn who are offering a discount to Hollow Sun customers on their new product, Elements, which was used in the audio demo.

Cheers,

Stephen

Presently watching the time fly away as I play with this fiendishly cool little device. There should be a law against it because it sounds amazing. Layered up with other HS stuff (Cathotron and Altaerion for example) and you'll possibly be wondering why you've got Omnisphere.

Potentially my most favourite HS contraption to date.
Let's see what's out there......

Stephen,

I'm just a bit confused (I do confuse easily). So the demo uses the Zapzorn Element sounds, and not the Pulstar sounds? It sounds great.
Just wondering.
Edit: Question was answered in the other forum section.

The demo uses both products equally. Hope you like it! :)

>a certain valve synth from 1939

Hmmm ... wonder what that one could possibly be? :D

>We've also tied up with Zapzorn who are offering a discount to Hollow Sun customers on their new product, Elements

I'm a little confused on this point. Does Zapzorn require Pulstar as a prerequisite? Does Zapzorn come with Pulstar bundled? Or are they two independent autonomous instruments?

Two independent autonomous instruments. They are just co-marketed because, you know, we're friends with George and his crew. :)

(That, and I also scripted Elements ;))

dmbaer wrote:Or are they two independent autonomous instruments?
^^ That.

George is just doing a special on 'Elements' for HS customers. 'Pulstar' is not bundled with 'Elements'.

Basically, George is a friend of mine, I had him test 'Pulstar', he liked it. But he's doing his own product too and we kind of thought they suited each other well, especially for the soundtrack work he does in LA ... he did a demo for me using the two, we decided to release the two at the same time and he offered the HS discount on 'Elements'.

You buy 'Pulstar' from me and 'Elements' from him (if you want)... and HS customers can have a discount on 'Elements' if they go for it.

Cheers,

Stephen

It would be great to hear some plain presets. I know some people have to hear tracks, but I have no idea how to judge something like that. I like to hear a someone holding an "A" for a few seconds, I'll imagine what I'll do with it. I often end up not buying things because I can't tell what's happening in the demo track.

I own a bunch of Stephens goodies. As a matter of fact I just bought nebulae today because I was looking for some big spacey pads for a project Im working on and Nebulae was the perfect solution to my sound quest. I try to stay away from his site as to avoid temptation. He then sends out email alerts and my will crumples....the horror. :(

Doc Brown wrote:I own a bunch of Stephens goodies. As a matter of fact I just bought nebulae today because I was looking for some big spacey pads for a project Im working on and Nebulae was the perfect solution to my sound quest. I try to stay away from his site as to avoid temptation. He then sends out email alerts and my will crumples....the horror. :(
Ha! :)

Sorry about that.

Thanks for the post - made me smile a lot!!

Hope you enjoy Nebulae. Don't know why you didn't go for Pulstar though unless you're still on K3.5 in which case, Neb's a good substitute.

Cheers,

Stephen

Hey Stephen. As fate would have it I bought Nebulae and an hour later I checked my email and there was the news about Pulstar. Lol I am running Kontakt 5 also. I noticed the patches in Pulstar look a lot like some of the ones in Nebulae. Im assuming some of the same samples.

Anyway, keep up the outstanding work and determination.

bongo_x wrote:It would be great to hear some plain presets. I know some people have to hear tracks, but I have no idea how to judge something like that. I like to hear a someone holding an "A" for a few seconds, I'll imagine what I'll do with it. I often end up not buying things because I can't tell what's happening in the demo track.
That's a tough call for devs, Bongo...

We want to show what our stuff is capable of in a real-world situation. What George did with Pulstar wasn't even a 'production' model but an early prototype still under development and what he did shows what Pulstar can do.

But I take your point about having some simple examples and that's something I could consider. Single notes though? I doubt it because people will sample those and use them to avoid buying the product, even if it's compromised.

There is, of course, the 'teaser' I put up not so long ago which might be closer to what you want to hear...

[url=http:///www.hollowsun.com/HS2/alien_devices/pulstar/audio/pulstar_sonic_tease.mp3]Tease[/url]

Not particularly good, knocked it up in 30 minutes (yes - sounds like it - I know) but....!

Cheers,

Stephen

I realize it's a fine line. Lot's of people would not be able to tell from simple examples what you can do with it. Some, like me, are the opposite. The more complete and "finished" a track is the less informative and appealing it is. I can't explain it.

I've bought almost every MLM (maybe every one) and a few other things so you must be hitting the right balance most of the time. Although I have just gone on faith a couple of times because I know by now I'm going to get something interesting. I generally like them more once I buy them (not that your demos are bad!).

Doc Brown wrote:Hey Stephen. As fate would have it I bought Nebulae and an hour later I checked my email and there was the news about Pulstar. Lol I am running Kontakt 5 also. I noticed the patches in Pulstar look a lot like some of the ones in Nebulae. Im assuming some of the same samples.
Yes - there is some sample sharing going on between the two - the samples in Neb still sound bloody good today and they mix well so I re-used some.

It's always a bitch when someone brings something new out and you've just bought the older one.

Drop me an email - let's see if we can work something out.
Doc Brown wrote:Anyway, keep up the outstanding work and determination.
Thanks. Will do.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen,

Bought, downloaed and installed Purstar yesterday. All I've got to say is "WOW!!!". What lush, rich sounds are to be found here. This one is a triumph. Nicely done indeed!

Return to “Hollow Sun”