GUI Shell

Archived support for: hollowsun.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can't believe what I've been getting out of this thing. I don't make samples much, but I really fancy doing some now, and running them through Shell, trying layers and all that stuff, and there is obviously tons here to tweak it all.
The sounds you put in there to start with are great, too.
I have some angels' voices sounding, well, very unlike angels' voices and more like violas on steroids. And, amazingly, quite musical.
Thanks, Hollow Sun, I can see a lot of fun with this thing, and definitely a bit different from your other stuff - you do make nice-looking gizmos, you guys!
:D
PT10, SonicCouture, PSP, FabFilter Pro-L, Kontakt5, HollowSun, Cinematique, VSL, Celemony, Absynth5, Battery3, EWQL, IvoryGrand, Arturia, B4II, Omnisphere, Martin D28, Gibson LP, Fender P, Roland XP10, Reaktor5, HideawayStudio, Waldorf PPGW.

:)

That's the whole point - lob your samples in there; have fun with the panel
vicshere wrote:I can see a lot of fun with this thing
Excellent - that was the intention

Cheers,

Stephen

Hope this isn't considered hijacking, but it's a question related to GUI Shell. I just installed it but haven't had a chance to play around with it yet. I did read the doc a couple of times and it's mostly quite good. I assume there is a way to adjust individual sound levels for multiple groups but this isn't mentioned ... just a suggestion, but a little bit more instruction would be nice. Apart from that, this is a madly inspired creation.

Anyway, my question is this. On many occasions, I come across a Kontakt sound that would be perfect for a given application if I could just do legato like most synths (envelopes only trigger when a note-on happens when no other notes are currently on). To a lesser extent portamento would be useful. I know NI includes a script that is supposed to handle these things, but who besides people like Mario have a clue how to get Kontakt scripts to work?

Just curious as to whether any thought was given to including this feature in GUI Shell, or if it's even possible. Any chance of seeing it in a GUI Shell 2.0?

dmbaer wrote:Hope this isn't considered hijacking, but it's a question related to GUI Shell.
Not at all.
dmbaer wrote:I assume there is a way to adjust individual sound levels for multiple groups but this isn't mentioned ... just a suggestion, but a little bit more instruction would be nice.
Define "individual sound levels for multiple groups".

There's the VOLUME control on the panel, there's control of level of individual zones in the Mapping Editor and there's always the master level control at the top of the UI ...

dmbaer wrote:Anyway, my question is this. On many occasions, I come across a Kontakt sound that would be perfect for a given application if I could just do legato like most synths (envelopes only trigger when a note-on happens when no other notes are currently on). To a lesser extent portamento would be useful. I know NI includes a script that is supposed to handle these things, but who besides people like Mario have a clue how to get Kontakt scripts to work?
You can always insert the UNISONO - PORTAMENTO preset script...

But I defer to Mario for more detailed instructions
dmbaer wrote:Just curious as to whether any thought was given to including this feature in GUI Shell, or if it's even possible. Any chance of seeing it in a GUI Shell 2.0?
It's a possibility, I suppose. Dunno where we'd fit it in though!

Cheers,

Stephen
Last edited by hollowsun on Mon May 27, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, you can adjust all synthesis parameters for each group individually (that's why you have that dropdown menu on top of Oscillator section - to select a group and tweak only its parameters - so you can have multiple groups with different filter settings, different envelopes, etc.).

As far as adding mono/portamento, Steve explained it. I didn't want to add any other scripts to GUI Shell because it's easier to leave that decision to the user - let him decide what he wants to do with the sound he just mapped in the Shell. :)

Thanks, Stephen and Mario. You make it look relatively easy then to insert a script. I tried to figure that out from the NI doc once but just ended up confused. I'll have another go at it. I'll be absolutely delighted if it does turn out to be trivial.

OT, but somewhat relevant ... one of the problems I've always had with NI is the mountain of documentation you needed to print if you wanted to study it somewhere other than at your computer. Well, problem solved. I recently got an iPad, primarily for the purpose of storing and reading massive PDF manuals. It's brilliant. I can take it to bed for a comfy read or take it with me when traveling and I have literally the equivalent to a suitcase full of binders immediately available. You really do need a 10" screen for PDFs however. A Kindle-type 7" device might be fine for books, but not manuals.

I love the concept of the Shell GUI, and I am really enjoying using it with the samples I have made in the past. Once question I had, which might be more of a Kontakt question than anything, is:

Is there a way to get midi synchronized vibrato? The Pitch LFO Rate knob seems to not be synchronized to the host. I'm sure there is a way to make it synchronized, but I have no idea how to do that in Kontakt.

Thanks!
A heaping dose of outrageously goofy synth tracks, scores and chiptunes.

https://raddlandstudios.com
https://youtube.com/NorrinRadd22

I am often of the WWWMD inclination. (Wondering What Would Mario Do) Then I think, maybe I should just drink more and wait for Mario to do it - whatever it is, it's probably what I wanted to do anyway.

At some point we might update the Shell so that LFOs are MIDI syncable. It is a bit of an ordeal, but it's not impossible.

As a current workaround, you can go into instrument edit mode, scroll down to Modulation section, find the LFOs, and click on "Hz" label of the Freq. knobs, then select a note timebase for temposyncing. Then the Rate knob on the Shell GUI will control the number of note timebase multiples, which will consequently give you the LFO speed. For example, let's say you put this knob to 16th notes, then if the knob is set to 4.0 16ths, that's a quarter note.

But it might be a better idea to wait for a proper implementation of this that would also read out the parameter value on the display, and show proper note values rather than multiples.

Ah, I figured it might have been a pain to put in there. Even I've tried to figure out Kontakt, just for my own needs. It's really just such a pain to fiddle with, haha. It's also a pain to research too. I wouldn't even know what to type.

This mini break down was more helpful than any google search. I appreciate it :D
A heaping dose of outrageously goofy synth tracks, scores and chiptunes.

https://raddlandstudios.com
https://youtube.com/NorrinRadd22

Tempo syncing controls is explained in Kontakt's manual, by the way. Section 3.2 Knobs ;)

Quick questions: Is it possible to sell my kontakt library then with the Shell GUI or it's only for the private use ? thanks in advance hollow sun ;)
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

If you've read the manual, you would notice that it's not possible to sell, it's for private use only. ;)

MillerSam wrote:Quick questions: Is it possible to sell my kontakt library then with the Shell GUI or it's only for the private use ? thanks in advance hollow sun ;)
Page 17 of the documentation states that it is for PRIVATE USE ONLY.

Hope this helps...

Ok thanks guys, I don't have buy it yet so I can't read it ;)
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

Return to “Hollow Sun”