GUI Shell

Archived support for: hollowsun.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Round Robin ?

This question is for Evil Dragon

When using GUIshell - I can't get it to work with Banks set to Round Robin. :help:

Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Or is this a limitation of using GUIShell with Round Robin Banks.

It works perfectly with multiple keySwitches. :tu:

Thanks,

David Wise

Just two hopefully simple Q's:

Is there a way to sync the LFO's to beat? For example the Pitch or Filter LFO?

And... this can only be done in the edit page of the nki - but can I somehow extend the pitch range from 12 semi tones to maybe 24 without messing the script up?

Okay, actually three questions:
Does anyone know script for a custom modulation panel?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

1. Not via the GUI. You can go into Kontakt's instrument edit mode and manually sync LFO frequencies to the division of your choosing by clicking on the "Hz" symbol of the Freq knob. Make sure Edit All Groups is enabled.

2. Pitch modulations are limited to one octave in Kontakt. The script would have to be updated to extend the range beyond that.

3. Nope. Modulations are highly tricky to do in a general-purpose script.

Regarding round-robin, that should all work. Works here.

Thanks for the info.

Regarding a modulation script: I was thinking somewhat along the lines of Massive's Filter Modulation with custom shapes. But I thinl that is highly advanced.

In case os sync to beat: what about small GUI knobs on the frontpanel for that purpose? And is it maybe possible to show the values of the knobs somewhere on the GUI? A bit easier to setup rather than going by ear.

Pitch modation isn't necessary for me to go beyond 1 octave. But regular pitching with the pitch wheel on my keyboard would be.

Either way, said it several times by now: that this scipt is finally letting me use Kontakt more like an instrument again, rather than a plain sample playback machine. It's definitely a great add on for Kontakt, and IMO a must have if you have a ton of one shots or non-sampler mapped samples on your HDD
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

If you automate the controls in your DAW, you can see the knob values. A bit disconnected, but still, possible. A workaround, so to speak.

Regarding pitch wheel, you can change the range of that by going into instrument editing mode and adding another pitch bend modulator to modulate pitch. That will give you over an octave.

Will try all that later tonight. Thanks.

But seeing the values and having "sync to beat" with the LFO's with a small switch on the GUI would be nice. (FR)

We'll see, perhaps at some point we'll update the GUI Shell.

dwise wrote:Round Robin ?

This question is for Evil Dragon

When using GUIshell - I can't get it to work with Banks set to Round Robin. :help:

Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Or is this a limitation of using GUIShell with Round Robin Banks.
Hello.

I've just checked it and... you're right. Round robin won't work with GUI Shell. The culprit is the Oscillator Balance knob, which has to be calculated for each group per each key played, so I'm using disallow_group($ALL_GROUPS) and then allowing groups in a while loop to set the balance parameter on each key press for all groups.

Unfortunately there's no proper way around this unless I completely script RR from scratch, which was not the intention of GUI Shell at all. Or we can remove the Osc Balance knob, but I'm never fond of removing features...

This is just to say I am having fun a lot with The Shell.
As a faithful fan of Hollow Sun, let me say Thank You one more time!

Best, Matteo

EvilDragon wrote:As far as adding mono/portamento, Steve explained it. I didn't want to add any other scripts to GUI Shell because it's easier to leave that decision to the user - let him decide what he wants to do with the sound he just mapped in the Shell. :)
Has anyone gotten this to work? If I add the "unisono - portamento" script after the "GUI" script and turn mono mode to on, only the voice from group 1 plays. I want to make a multi-layered legato instrument using the shell...

Unisono seems to work fine. But mono / legato is a no :(

The way to fix that is to go to Expert tab, and set Chord Detection time to 1 instead of 0. Voila!

This is because the GUI script is playing a new note for each group (because of oscillator Balance knob), so in essence, even if you play one key, the second and other script slots consider this as a chord. So you have to increase the chord detection time VERY slightly, and then the monophonic and glide mode will just work.

Also here's a neat tip if you intend to use the unison: open instrument edit mode, enable Edit All Groups, then in the Source module add a random unipolar modulator, set it to modulate sample start, then adjust modulation depth to 100%. You will notice that unisono will sound fatter and much less phasey, because every voice will start at a slightly different position in the sample (within the DFD buffer size). You get a lot more natural sounding unison.

Hello,
i have some sample libraries from Sampletekk that have no GUI - Tubed Wurly and Tubed Rhodes, among others. They are already fully mapped with multiple velocity layers and release samples. Is it possible to use this GUI shell with libraries like these without having to remap the samples? I have found a few simple scripts online that will display a GUI for assigned insert effects, but this would give me so much more control over the sounds. I'm running Kontakt 5 on a Muse Receptor VIP 2.

Thanks,
Dave

Our GUI Shell has its own modulator and FX layout, so it wouldn't be quite compatible with Sampletekk libraries you mention. Also I don't think release triggering is supported with ours.

Better late than never (I hope). I was just referred to The Shell and am thinking of purchasing.
Are people still using it much and will it be developed further, or is it a done project?
Is it still useful for the latest version of Kontakt?

It's pretty much a done project, and it's still useful in the latest Kontakt (although it doesn't use the latest filters added in K5, which could have been nice I suppose).

Return to “Hollow Sun”