Hollow Sun - amazing work!

Archived support for: hollowsun.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just had to stop by and give you guys props for the incredible richness and quality of your work in releasing such highly inspiring sounds! I'm still hearing the SOTU demo resonating in my head, and can't believe the Taurus (first enjoyed on "Firth of Fifth"). Strategic selections were made from vintage instruments as well, and I'll be coming back with funds to purchase a few!

Thanks again for filling a niche that's very competitive, but sometimes yields disappointing or not well-finished products.

Regards,

Andre
“Yesterday I was clever so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise so I am changing myself.” Rumi
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Thanks Andre - glad you like our humble offerings. SOTU was good fun to make and people seem to like it... including Sonicstate...

http://soundcloud.com/hollow-sun/sonic- ... views-sotu

On a slight point of order, Mike Rutherford didn't have Taurus pedals until 'Trick Of The Tail'. The Taurus pedals were released in 1975 and 'Trick Of The Tail' was released in 1976. 'Selling England..." (and hence the marvellous 'Firth Of Fifth') came out in 1973 so it would have been impossible for him to use Taurus pedals then. Instead, he used a set of bass pedals from a small UK company called Dewtron ... their 'Mr Bassman' pedals as I recall. Dewtron made synth kits (I built some back when I was a lad in the early '70s with varying degrees of success!) but they made these bass pedals for the home organ market ... for those who had a cheap organ without bass pedals. (like a Farfisa, whatever).

I suspect Mr Rutherford was one of of their few customers for them! :)

Come 'Trick Of The Tail', though, you can hear the Taurus Mk I pedals in all their glory. The opening track - 'Dance On A volcano' ... ba ba ba ba duddle a DAH - that 'DAH' can take your f'k'n windows out or at least worry the neighbours and frighten young children!! :)

Great sound - so meaty.

Cheers,

Stephen

Ah, thanks for the note, Stephen... So then it wasn't the Taurus, but we're getting close. Selling England is still an amazing album, what a time this was... such a legacy of powerful music created by highly talented artists... and how prog-rock was killed by disco music... !

I may be wrong but for some weird reason I always thought the one playing that bass pedal on that particular song (Firth of Fifth) was Peter Gabriel? I couldn't find a photo but if you watch this video at around 8:00 min, Mike isn't reaching for any pedal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk0etBP5un8 .

Trick of the Tail is an outstanding album as well, timeless sound. How did they do that? I miss those kinds of bands and their creativity...

In any case, totally love your work and will keep checking it up. I'm actually interested in sounds from the Korg 01/W (M/10?) I have sounds on a disk I can't get to, due to not having this keyboard around anymore. Some of those sounds were things I tweaked myself.

Cheers,

Andre
“Yesterday I was clever so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise so I am changing myself.” Rumi
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Ah, and the vKS20 brings memories. First time I used it was for a wedding... it was "provided" to us by the organizers and the MIDI keyboard that came with it had no sustain pedal. Doing a McGyver tour of the place quickly during our setup, I used the core of a roll of packing tape, a small plank of wood, a fork and a screw, then cut off the 1/4" connector off a patch cord and connected one end to the screw and the other on the bended fork, coming a few inches away from the screw over the tape core, and there I had my "sustain pedal." Man, memories... those were the days ... :)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

creativeforge wrote:Selling England is still an amazing album
Too right - and strangely prophetic in its way! But let's not go there!
creativeforge wrote:what a time this was... such a legacy of powerful music created by highly talented artists... and how prog-rock was killed by disco music... !
Well ... yes and no - punk as well - then electro and 'new romantics' and so on. But prog still lives on.
creativeforge wrote:I may be wrong but for some weird reason I always thought the one playing that bass pedal on that particular song (Firth of Fifth) was Peter Gabriel?
No ... and I can say that with certainty as I roadied for the band, got to meet them, watched their rehearsals and soundchecks and then worked with Peter - Peter didn't play the bass pedals.
creativeforge wrote:I couldn't find a photo but if you watch this video at around 8:00 min, Mike isn't reaching for any pedal
He wouldn't need to - they were just there and he'd hit them when he switched to the 12-string on his double neck Rickenbacker ... 'Can Utility And the Coastliners', for example.

That's a rare bit of footage - they dropped the 'piano' intro because Banks would often cock it up. Not without good reason - it's surprisingly tricky with its ever changing time signatures (and the RMI is not exactly a Steinway!). My daughter's not too shabby on the piano and she could play it aged 12 - bit of a bugger though.
creativeforge wrote:Trick of the Tail is an outstanding album as well, timeless sound. How did they do that?
Ermmmm ... because they could play and were supremely talented?
creativeforge wrote:In any case, totally love your work and will keep checking it up. I'm actually interested in sounds from the Korg 01/W (M/10?) I have sounds on a disk I can't get to, due to not having this keyboard around anymore. Some of those sounds were things I tweaked myself.
Whatever. You know where I am! Glad you like our stuff - we aim to please :)

Cheers,

Stephen

What a history lesson, I stand corrected! Thanks for sharing this... You're rubbed elbows with the greats!

The term "prophetic" is what a lot of that prog-rock era suggests to me. Genesis came to Quebec at the time, and from what I heard they were somewhat surprised at the reception. Their music resonated profoundly with us Frenchies... :)

Have a good one,

Andre
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Return to “Hollow Sun”