Drumspillage 2 announced!

Official support for: audiospillage.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DrumSpillage

Interested in Drumspillage 2 having played with Minispillage. A couple of questions that might decide whether I pre-order:

1. On your website it says "Improved modulation and velocity control" as a feature of Drumspillage 2.

Can you map velocity (per pad) as a modulation source to distortion amount or Env release or the like?

2. What's the CPU usage like compared to Minispillage (considering only three pads active in Drumspillage 2). Still on an older MacBook for a bit longer and can't afford for it to be too much of a hog.

Basically I'm weighing up whether to buy uTonic (which I'm demoing now) or pre-order Drumspillage 2 which I can't trial. So any info you can provide would be great.

masterhiggins wrote:So...that would be a no then?
Hi Sam, sorry about that. Seems there was no email alert to your previous post.

News: We're late with the release but it's coming together very nicely.

We've been focussing our efforts on making the UI as consistent as possible. Previously in V1 each model had it's own UI. We've now mapped most of those models onto 10 standard sliders with modulation controls. A much better arrangement. For example here is the Cymbal model as it stands (click link for full size image):

http://www.audiospillage.com/pubimg/ds2 ... review.png

We're also working on the distortion algorithms and integrating them more closely with the synthesis models so they feel less like an optional effect. Should be a bit of a beast when finished :)

As for a release date. Some fine tuning and calibration is still required. We're hoping to get this out pretty soon though.

Hope that helps a little,
AudioSpillage

It's great to hear this is still a live product. As I Drumspillage 1 owner, I definitely plan to upgrade. (Not that there's anything wrong with 1, but especially at the update pricing, how can I resist?)

bjoz wrote:Interested in Drumspillage 2 having played with Minispillage. A couple of questions that might decide whether I pre-order:

1. On your website it says "Improved modulation and velocity control" as a feature of Drumspillage 2.

Can you map velocity (per pad) as a modulation source to distortion amount or Env release or the like?
This will be in the release version of V2. Most parameters can be modulated via velocity as long as there is room in the UI for a suitable control. Those two parameters are in for sure on a per-pad basis.

bjoz wrote:2. What's the CPU usage like compared to Minispillage (considering only three pads active in Drumspillage 2). Still on an older MacBook for a bit longer and can't afford for it to be too much of a hog.

Basically I'm weighing up whether to buy uTonic (which I'm demoing now) or pre-order Drumspillage 2 which I can't trial. So any info you can provide would be great.
We haven't done any serious CPU comparisons yet. It depends on your model of MacBook. Is it a Core2Duo model or something like an i5. We aim for efficient code that delivers excellent quality sound and we'll optimise wherever possible.

You can download the V1 demo from the site:
http://audiospillage.com/drumspillage.html

The CPU usage should be in a similar ballpark.

AudioSpillage

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, my MacBook is, unfortunately, a Core2Duo! An upgrade is definitely on the cards, but as with many things in life it's unclear exactly when that will be.

I'll take your advice and download the v1 demo and see how that goes.

Just to clarify, if I pre-order v2 now does that give me an unlocked (non-demo) version of v1?

Ok, I just saw on your blog that pre-order customers do get v1 to use now ... so question answered.

Another question for you, in either v1 or v2 can you change the pad you're editing in the model editor via midi?

CPU usage is not over the top. About 15% in Ableton 9.0.6 on my 2.16G Core2Duo triggering about 8 voices. Not quite as good as uTonic which is about 10% for the same pattern.

bjoz wrote:Ok, I just saw on your blog that pre-order customers do get v1 to use now ... so question answered.

Another question for you, in either v1 or v2 can you change the pad you're editing in the model editor via midi?
Not yet. Although, are we talking abut the ability to control sliders over MIDI or simply switch the pad current selected in the editing page?
bjoz wrote:CPU usage is not over the top. About 15% in Ableton 9.0.6 on my 2.16G Core2Duo triggering about 8 voices. Not quite as good as uTonic which is about 10% for the same pattern.
Thanks for the feedback!

Been playing a bit more with the v1.2 demo. I must say it sounds really great. I'm finding it pretty easy to translate what's in my head which is always a good thing.

Can you tell me, with v2 is it possible to assign env1 & env2 separately to the amplitude of the synth and noise components?

... and is there a keyboard shortcut to reset a control to default value?
Although, are we talking abut the ability to control sliders over MIDI or simply switch the pad current selected in the editing page?
Yeah, just switch the pads ... so that when you change to the editor and hit a pad that is the pad selected for editing.

Thanks!

Ok ... I should RTFM before asking stupid questions!

So different models have different ways of altering the envelopes eg. with the bass drum you can assign osc2 to env2 and with electro snare there is a separate osc decay!

One criticism I'd like to share ... having noise cut in for a full 20 seconds out of every minute is not a way to make people like what you're doing IMHO! I know every manufacturer has their own methods but this is one of the most disruptive ones I've ever dealt with and, to be honest, it's making it very difficult for me to evaluate. Plugins like this encourage lots of tweaking but this type of security measure is not very supportive of that. Just my 2c.

Thanks for listening.

bjoz wrote:One criticism I'd like to share ... having noise cut in for a full 20 seconds out of every minute is not a way to make people like what you're doing IMHO! I know every manufacturer has their own methods but this is one of the most disruptive ones I've ever dealt with and, to be honest, it's making it very difficult for me to evaluate. Plugins like this encourage lots of tweaking but this type of security measure is not very supportive of that. Just my 2c.
Fair enough :) I think we'll take a different approach with V2.

AudioSpillage

audiospillage wrote:
Fair enough :) I think we'll take a different approach with V2.

AudioSpillage
Ha ha ... great. Although it's likely I will have bought it by then :wink:

I need to throw in another HOY of a request for 64bit VST for OSX. AU only is the ONLY thing stopping me from buying anything and everything AudioSpillage.

sqigls wrote:I need to throw in another HOY of a request for 64bit VST for OSX. AU only is the ONLY thing stopping me from buying anything and everything AudioSpillage.
OK, noted. DrumSpillage V2 in particular is in better shape for a Mac VST port. No promises though.

AudioSpillage

audiospillage wrote:
sqigls wrote:I need to throw in another HOY of a request for 64bit VST for OSX. AU only is the ONLY thing stopping me from buying anything and everything AudioSpillage.
OK, noted. DrumSpillage V2 in particular is in better shape for a Mac VST port. No promises though.

AudioSpillage
What's the ETA on V2? Just curious. Thanks!

-Sam

masterhiggins wrote:
audiospillage wrote:

AudioSpillage
What's the ETA on V2? Just curious. Thanks!

-Sam
November :)

Return to “AudioSpillage”