Making people find the Lossless button?

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Every once in a while I get an e-mail from someone who complains that when they open a sound the quality isn't perfect. I don't know how much bigger I should make the Lossless button be, or how else I should try to trick people into reading the manual (you'd think that at some point people would press the ? button out of curiosity and fall into my trap), so I'm considering more radical solutions :

Should I make the lossless mode automatically be turned on when loading a sound? Would solve the quality complaints problem, but a) lossless mode makes things much slower and b) it locks a bunch of controls, which might be confusing. I suppose I could hide the locked controls away and make more room for the image editing, but it might make people wonder where those controls went..

Any other ideas on how I could get people to click on that Lossless button while not annoying people who've already found it?
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

How about a splash screen on start up...(saying look here dummy ! This is where you enable Lossless mode)

Or

A pop up on start up that is next to the lossless button (the pop up can be dismissed for subsequent starts of the software, but hit the dismiss to soon causes a RTFM pop up)

:lol:

Dunc wrote:How about a splash screen on start up...(saying look here dummy ! This is where you enable Lossless mode)

Or

A pop up on start up that is next to the lossless button (the pop up can be dismissed for subsequent starts of the software, but hit the dismiss to soon causes a RTFM pop up)

:lol:
Hehe, well, I don't want to make it too intrusive. How about using the message area in the bottom left corner to inform of the possibility when a sound is being played in lossy mode? Or, same thing, except lossless would be turned on by default?

But yeah, I suppose I could use that message thing to guide people more. Or detect that they have no clue what they're doing and tell them to RTFM. This message area could be turned into a new and improved kind of Clippy! :D
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

How about tool tip text that brings up a bubble informing you of what each thing does?

Of course, in the options, you can turn on/off tool tip text.

Another good idea would be a startup screen with tips that users can skip or click on the arrows and various tips and info would be available.

Otherwise, I would leave it the way it is so as to not further confuse anyone.

Mike

You could put the word Lossness above the ON/OFF button rather than below it.. may be the word Lossness (kind of) gets lost, or you could do that but move the button to the bottom of the list on the left with a space in between. Like:

Tools

Lossness

(the stars represent the buttons)

Hello world.
it's the first time i am posting in the forum, and i found today, accidentaly, this enormous sounding sofware ! So that 2 idéas in one :
1 - first, you should put more keywords into you web site to be able to find Photosounder more easely, such as : "audiosculpt equivalant", "SPEAR equivalant", "spectral FFT analysis", spectral drawing, and so on "Sonnogram editing", + "coagula"
This is one of the most important music and sound creation software, so that it will be a good thing that some geek musician find it on the web.

2 - for the Losless button, it would need only one standard "tip of the day" box at the launching of the software. Of course, the use will can disable the "see tip of the day" at launch, but the first tip of the day will be, of course, speaking of the usage of Losless button.

Claude-Samuel Lévine

Return to “Photosounder”