not quite sure how to do this, if it's even possible

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I have a dark ambient set coming up. I'm using ableton to do is as a hybrid dj/live set. I was wanting to run photosounder as well. What I don't see in photosounder is a preferences menu. I have my good ext sound card outputting ableton, so photosounder won't use it at the same time. I have a second ext sound card I could route it to, or even the internal sound card, but without a preferences menu, I have no idea how this could be done, or if it even can be done. Any ideas oh great KVR forum?

*edit* I'm on windows 7, intel i7, 8 gig's of RAM

psilopsyben wrote:So I have a dark ambient set coming up. I'm using ableton to do is as a hybrid dj/live set. I was wanting to run photosounder as well. What I don't see in photosounder is a preferences menu. I have my good ext sound card outputting ableton, so photosounder won't use it at the same time. I have a second ext sound card I could route it to, or even the internal sound card, but without a preferences menu, I have no idea how this could be done, or if it even can be done. Any ideas oh great KVR forum?

*edit* I'm on windows 7, intel i7, 8 gig's of RAM
Photosounder just lets SDL (which it uses for the audio output) choose the device itself. However, after a quick look up, it seems you can make it choose which device to use by setting, in Windows, the environment variable AUDIODEV, which you can use in combination with SDL_AUDIODRIVER. So for example you can set SDL_AUDIODRIVER to "alsa" and AUDIODEV to "dmix" or something like that.

Just out of curiosity, how are you going to use Photosounder in a live set? I suppose you're going to do something live with it and not just playback something (otherwise you could just save the output to file and play it back with Ableton)?
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

not exactly sure yet, I just think it would be easier to drop samples into it, than to grab all my samples I want to mess around with, run them through photosounder and then save everything. Don't think twisting knobs live would go over well as every time I do, it reloads (I don't know the word for it) every sample every time I twist something.

psilopsyben wrote:not exactly sure yet, I just think it would be easier to drop samples into it, than to grab all my samples I want to mess around with, run them through photosounder and then save everything. Don't think twisting knobs live would go over well as every time I do, it reloads (I don't know the word for it) every sample every time I twist something.
Well, yeah, as it is Photosounder isn't really meant for live performance (it's rather meant to be the Photoshop of sound), although I've heard of someone who did a live performance at an art gallery (something about playing back artworks). In the future it will have algorithms for live playback and effects, but yeah in the meantime if you tweak something like the time resolution knob it will resynthesise the whole thing from the beginning.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

probably just gonna have to do everything and save it before the show, as the way you explained it is way over my head.

Return to “Photosounder”