Isolating Problems: Sounds overlapping, falling & rising in amplitude

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, first up: very interesting software, I've just bought a copy for myself and am trying to isolate and extract sounds from samples.

My computer specs are as follows:

Intel MAC 8-core
3Ghz each
8Gb RAM (if I remember correctly, it might be 9Gb)
OSX 10.4 (Tiger)

My problems are:

1) How do I explain this, let me start by looking at the funky worm example. Looking the Funky Worm video, it's easy to see the synth line and the harmonics that follow the fundamental because the synth line is the only instrument in that range, it's pretty high and clear in amplitude and there's little (if any) reverb or noise in the background.

But the synth line's I'm trying to extract are from samples are not clear, or even if I do find the synth line, it's not clear what lines I need to follow because the synth line loses amplitude in the sample and starts to look like all the other lines above & below it, not to mention that there is other similar lines from other sounds in the mix overlapping the synth line that I want to follow (or at least it looks like other lines are overlapping the line that I'm trying to follow). This takes me off-course and I'm not sure if I'm following the correct line anymore while I'm trying to extract the sound.

Also, the line I'm following has two different colours (Blue and Yellow), I know this is due to amplitude, but when my line crosses over with other lines that are also high in ampltiude, there is like a big smudge of yellow in the crossover area and I don't know which path follow. When the amplitude of the line I'm following falls dramatically, the line gets lost in the background of Blue and yet again, I get lost and start to extract the wrong lines.

Is 1 sound that rises & falls in amplitude that also has crossover with several other sounds that also rise & fall with amplitude extractable?

2) I can never see what pattern the highest harmonics take, are the highest harmonics the same pattern as the base harmonic?

3) As you go up from the base harmonic to the highest harmonic, does all the relating lines take a more 'Piramid like' shape or are they pure copies of the base harmonic (the fundamental I mean) but just spaced out with smaller & smaller distances apart with evert next harmonic?

4) Would isolating be even more difficult for detuned sounds?

5) If (for example), 2 or 3 sounds are panned to similar positions in the mix, would all 3 sounds still be isolatable?

Thanks! :help:

Electronic1982 wrote:Hi, first up: very interesting software, I've just bought a copy for myself and am trying to isolate and extract sounds from samples.

My computer specs are as follows:

Intel MAC 8-core
3Ghz each
8Gb RAM (if I remember correctly, it might be 9Gb)
OSX 10.4 (Tiger)

My problems are:

1) How do I explain this, let me start by looking at the funky worm example. Looking the Funky Worm video, it's easy to see the synth line and the harmonics that follow the fundamental because the synth line is the only instrument in that range, it's pretty high and clear in amplitude and there's little (if any) reverb or noise in the background.

But the synth line's I'm trying to extract are from samples are not clear, or even if I do find the synth line, it's not clear what lines I need to follow because the synth line loses amplitude in the sample and starts to look like all the other lines above & below it, not to mention that there is other similar lines from other sounds in the mix overlapping the synth line that I want to follow (or at least it looks like other lines are overlapping the line that I'm trying to follow). This takes me off-course and I'm not sure if I'm following the correct line anymore while I'm trying to extract the sound.

Also, the line I'm following has two different colours (Blue and Yellow), I know this is due to amplitude, but when my line crosses over with other lines that are also high in ampltiude, there is like a big smudge of yellow in the crossover area and I don't know which path follow. When the amplitude of the line I'm following falls dramatically, the line gets lost in the background of Blue and yet again, I get lost and start to extract the wrong lines.

Is 1 sound that rises & falls in amplitude that also has crossover with several other sounds that also rise & fall with amplitude extractable?

2) I can never see what pattern the highest harmonics take, are the highest harmonics the same pattern as the base harmonic?

3) As you go up from the base harmonic to the highest harmonic, does all the relating lines take a more 'Piramid like' shape or are they pure copies of the base harmonic (the fundamental I mean) but just spaced out with smaller & smaller distances apart with evert next harmonic?

4) Would isolating be even more difficult for detuned sounds?

5) If (for example), 2 or 3 sounds are panned to similar positions in the mix, would all 3 sounds still be isolatable?

Thanks! :help:
1) Hard to tell without seeing what you're working on. Even a screenshot would help. As for fading away, well, it seems that you're saying that the sound you're trying to extract just fades away. So when it's faded away that's it, there's nothing left to the sound you want to extract.

2) That's correct.

3) Not sure what you mean by pyramid shape, however the later is correct, it's pretty much an exact copy just copied closer and closer to one another as you go up.

4) Only in the sense that the harmonics modifier wouldn't help you much

5) If by panning you mean stereo panning, Photosounder works in mono. If not then I don't know what you mean.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Return to “Photosounder”