Morphing

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello guys,

I've been interested in Photosounder for a while and particularly in the idea that it might allow me to achieve morphing at the same quality as kyma. :)

My question is, has anyone found a way using photoshop (or similar program) to achieve true morphing where by all the 3 dimensions of sound (excluding phase relation) can be morphed, by this I mean the frequencies of the first sound drift to match the frequencies of the 2nd sound, the time based envelopes/patterns of one sound are interpolated into the 2nd and the overall spectral balance of all frequencies is blended.

If you have ever heard the adverts done with kyma you'll know what I mean ;) things like morphing the sounds of an office into a calypso band etc :)

The closest I have seen is camel audio's alchemy and obviously kyma but with a little hard work I imagine you could go further with photosounder (as it seems to handle more than the 256 partial limit of alchemy.

The question is how? ;)

If I can get it anywhere close or if this is something photosounder might include in the future then count me in for a purchase!

(even with out this it's an excellent program, congrats!)

musicbynumbers wrote:Hello guys,

I've been interested in Photosounder for a while and particularly in the idea that it might allow me to achieve morphing at the same quality as kyma. :)

My question is, has anyone found a way using photoshop (or similar program) to achieve true morphing where by all the 3 dimensions of sound (excluding phase relation) can be morphed, by this I mean the frequencies of the first sound drift to match the frequencies of the 2nd sound, the time based envelopes/patterns of one sound are interpolated into the 2nd and the overall spectral balance of all frequencies is blended.

If you have ever heard the adverts done with kyma you'll know what I mean ;) things like morphing the sounds of an office into a calypso band etc :)

The closest I have seen is camel audio's alchemy and obviously kyma but with a little hard work I imagine you could go further with photosounder (as it seems to handle more than the 256 partial limit of alchemy.

The question is how? ;)

If I can get it anywhere close or if this is something photosounder might include in the future then count me in for a purchase!

(even with out this it's an excellent program, congrats!)
If you just want to make a sound drift/transition into another then it's simple, just take a bit of Photoshop magic. I've done an example in this thread, check out the last couple of posts. If you wanna know it's done, I just took two vertical slices of each sound in Photoshop, put them side by side in a 2x571 px document, aligned their harmonics by shifting the highest one to the level of the lowest one and taking note of by how many pixels I had shifted. Then enlarging the flattened image to a few hundred pixels of width, then doing some shear effect to restore the part that I shifted in frequency to its original frequency, then a cylindrical spherize effect to make the transition smoother.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Thanks for the reply :)

Will look into doing it that way and had thought of bending the harmonics to meet each other but trying to figure out a way to make the envelopes/rhythm meet too. I've heard examples of things like helicopters turning into motor endgines and to get these to match up in all dimensions could be difficult.

You seem to be mentioning a thread with examples but couldn't see a link (or hyperlink), was there meant to be one? :)

musicbynumbers wrote:Thanks for the reply :)

Will look into doing it that way and had thought of bending the harmonics to meet each other but trying to figure out a way to make the envelopes/rhythm meet too. I've heard examples of things like helicopters turning into motor endgines and to get these to match up in all dimensions could be difficult.

You seem to be mentioning a thread with examples but couldn't see a link (or hyperlink), was there meant to be one? :)
My bad yes, I forgot: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... ieved.html
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

The example is interesting and I think I will give it an actual go when I get time (talking about morphing is like dancing about architecture right?) ;)

But I think for the excellent price of your plug in, once I have gotten the xmas shopping out the way (when will this torment end?) I will be buying your plug in anyway as there really is no excuse not to! :)

All the best

(ahem) merry xmas! ;)

Return to “Photosounder”