optical soundtrack backwards engineering

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everybody,

brand new owner of Photosounder with a big question:

I have an optical sound track from an old 35mm films (speech) and laid out the first 24 frames (1 second of original optical sound) in an ultrawide photoshop file.

Even if PS's fastest reading is not matching the original speed is there any frequency setting I could get close to the optical sound process, so that I can make the original recorded voice audible / intelligible or does the software's internal sound synthesis doesn't allow such a reverse engineering process from a pure optical sound synthesis?

Any help greatly appreciated!

kasbah
kasbah helsinki

kasbah wrote:Hi everybody,

brand new owner of Photosounder with a big question:

I have an optical sound track from an old 35mm films (speech) and laid out the first 24 frames (1 second of original optical sound) in an ultrawide photoshop file.

Even if PS's fastest reading is not matching the original speed is there any frequency setting I could get close to the optical sound process, so that I can make the original recorded voice audible / intelligible or does the software's internal sound synthesis doesn't allow such a reverse engineering process from a pure optical sound synthesis?

Any help greatly appreciated!

kasbah
Yeah that's not really going to work. Photosounder synthesises spectrum over time, I assume your optical sound track displays sound intensity over time. Though I'm not sure but it might work vaguely if you could bring the rate to something close to the sample rate (although Photosounder doesn't allow more than 2,400 px/sec) but it's just not really the proper way to do it, you would need a program that transcribes the image intensity into sound intensity.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Return to “Photosounder”