$14,410.00 for a good computer....

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yup, businesses will see it as a fire and forget investment. Keep if for five years and it'll cost them the equivalent of $50 per week, all of which goes into their purchases column and therefore against tax.

So $30 a week. Probably less than a studio spends on drinks in the drinks machine.

big thanks, you little opened my eyes:) thanks..
trust analog.... (owner of digital)

tehlord wrote:Yup, businesses will see it as a fire and forget investment. Keep if for five years and it'll cost them the equivalent of $50 per week, all of which goes into their purchases column and therefore against tax.

So $30 a week. Probably less than a studio spends on drinks in the drinks machine.
you also need to remember that quite often the annual cost of the licenses for the software you're running makes the actual cost of the hardware seem irrelevant (we've got a pile of old model macpros here running schrodinger's s/w - even with academic pricing it's serious $/seat/year)

I also worry a bit about the long term effects on the imac when running s/w that will load all cores to 100% for days at a time, wheras I know the macpro line is engineered for exactly that kind of stress

My current problem with Apple is what appears to be a shift of focus from artist/musicians (which IMO made them what they are) to a mass market of consumers that have no real ability. When everything becomes a collage of what has already been done, it's hard to filter through the noise to see the genius. And you can build this machine for less than half that price (as is usually the case with Apple).

I thought the topic was a mistake!

http://gizmodo.com/a-fully-loaded-new-m ... 1486321039

A dual xeon 2697 built at home comes in at mildly over half that cost. For $14,000 you could get a proper PC server with 4 mackin' processors.

That has to be the most overpriced bullshit I've ever seen. Incredible - Intel already overcharges rape-ingly for miniscule differences in the top vs. one-step-down processors... But that McPuter is the worst priced computer i've ever seen.

Get a 2xXeon E5-2670 for under $5000.

This is not about money. Prestige usually means you're buying something... outlandish; with a diamond in it, like those $10,000 cell phones. THERE IS NOTHING OUTLANDISH in this Mcputer. NOTHING!! It's worse. It is an inferior product

It is stupid. Even if you were a billionaire. If you were looking for the most powerful computer you could buy, there would be LESS reason to buy this obscenity.

I'm 'exponentially' happier with my double Xeons over my i5 and i7 system.

My current machine just over five years ago, 8-cores with four internal drives, 32GB of RAM with the 24" Apple Cinema Display came to around 9000 dollars.
14k must be one of these 12 cores with everything. 12 cores are not really utilized for making music. Even if you were doing symphonic, it would be better to have two 6-core machines with VE Pro than one 12. You aren't going to see anything using it so you're seeing 1200% for that application in Activity Monitor I don't think.

It's still going and it has been fairly hassle-free - one of the drives is failing mechanically according to Disk Utility and 'SMART' - and I've done a lot of music with it in this time. I expect to be using it for some time. I have no regrets at all. I had a nice windfall and it was fun to buy this thing with cash.
I strongly dislike Windows OS so the whole idea of cost savings is obviated by that for me. I bought a second machine that again was perhaps twice as much, a quad-core, after considering a windows box. I just couldn't do it. I think I might today if the specs are that much better.
'You can build a...' - I have zero interest in that.

One really bad part of the cost of such a thing is adding memory through the Apple Store. Never do this, it's wildly more expensive.

So I put together what I would buy if I needed a computer. $6,436. I would be needing 32GB more RAM from somewhere on top of that but I'd be about done.

That 14k price is going to have a lot of things that are not a computer at all, Final Cut Pro, external drives that are priced kind of high, cables, a four thousand dollar display...
So I think if you're going to say there is a windows box exactly comparable with this 14k purchase for half the price you're reacting kind of in haste.

Mine's not Apple in any way shape or form. (similar configuration for less than 5k).
And if you were doing a Hackentosh, I'm sure you could build it for far less than Apple charges.
It's just their nature to charge what they do.

The important thing to remember if you're building a system like this is,

You don't have to do it all at once.

I don't have to do it at all.

Similar configuration as what exactly? You mean as mine for 9k? The display was over $900. And I didn't know how badly I was being gouged for RAM. I bought Apple Care.

The variance of that MacPro is pretty wide, it has things I don't even quite know what they are as choices. I would put together an 8 core with a few extras for that ~6k. I would have to shop for RAM. Their RAM pricing is obscene.
I don't buy the 12 core for music and I know what I'm doing. It's for video rendering and heavy number crunching/science.

Actually I could have bought a higher-spec'd (in terms of memory and memory speed) non-Apple box for around 1/3d less than I bought my (barebones) quadcore MacPro. If there is one for half the price of that, I didn't see it in the time I had to fug around with it.
But I do not build computers, I don't like anything about it.

When I have had hardware things to address, the OS knows about them and tells me things I can use about it. I like that the company that built the box writes the OS. I like things simple.

BBFG# wrote:My current problem with Apple is what appears to be a shift of focus from artist/musicians (which IMO made them what they are) to a mass market of consumers that have no real ability.
This is true, and the OS shows more and more of it each time. I have the Mavericks installer but I bet I never install it.

jancivil wrote:Similar configuration as what exactly? You mean as mine for 9k? The display was over $900. And I didn't know how badly I was being gouged for RAM. I bought Apple Care.
The variance of that MacPro is pretty wide, it has things I don't even quite know what they are as choices. I would put together an 8 core with a few extras for that ~6k. I would have to shop for RAM. Their RAM pricing is obscene.
I don't buy the 12 core for music and I know what I'm doing. It's for video rendering and heavy number crunching/science.
Actually I could have bought a higher-spec'd (in terms of memory and memory speed) non-Apple box for around 1/3d less than I bought my (barebones) quadcore MacPro. If there is one for half the price of that, I didn't see it in the time I had to fug around with it.
But I do not build computers, I don't like anything about it.
When I have had hardware things to address, the OS knows about them and tells me things I can use about it. I like that the company that built the box writes the OS. I like things simple.
Similar more to the article's 14k system. Mine does not have the PCIe drive. I'm running 32gb ram for one CPU and 20GB Ram for the second one. (2) E5-2690 (2.9ghz - 8c). 3 HDD totaling 3.5 TB and a small half gig video card and a touch monitor.

I would love simple and something off the shelf that was made for music production only. But that really doesn't exist, so we're all forced to 'rethink' what we buy to some extent IMO .

jancivil wrote:
BBFG# wrote:My current problem with Apple is what appears to be a shift of focus from artist/musicians (which IMO made them what they are) to a mass market of consumers that have no real ability.
This is true, and the OS shows more and more of it each time. I have the Mavericks installer but I bet I never install it.
I should mentioned I used to work in a music store in San Jose when Apple had two music departments and both departments were clients of mine. When they restructured and downsized them into a single subdivision of another department, they began to slowly pull away from musicians and focused more on graphic CGI rendering (that was around '88?). In some ways, I feel they gave up when they couldn't develop a G5 chip. Bottom line for me not buying from them is always the price in comparison to parts used.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”