What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

xNiMiNx wrote:I wonder who is more upset; MS cause someone figured this all out, or the entities who shelled out millions of dollars for 'extended' support.
Those patches are very unlikely to work on XP sp3, which is a completely different platform to server 2003. Server 2003 and xp x64 share code, but not xp x86.

Theres two different methods, one for xp86 and xp64, youre talking xp64, which is based on server 2k3 no? xp86 is taking updates from POSReady xp thats used on some mobile devices or something. Two different methods floating online for each version of XP.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

When I had XP SP2 everything was smooth.
Then people told me I needed to update to SP3, which I did unfortunately, and the boot/shutdown process took about 4 minutes longer!

Later on, I got a new computer from Best Buy and nothing else was available except Vista, even though all my DAW friends said, don't do it. Nobody else in my entire town sold XP then.

I got so sick of Vista not working that I threw it away and downgraded to XP even though my computer manufacturer said XP wouldn't work on my machine. XP worked flawlessly. So it was proof that mandating Vista was about business trends and not about functionality.

Later on, something went royally wrong with my computer's drives and BIOS and I didn't like the design of the chassis anyways, and I could'nt upgrade any of the firmware because it was a rare production model, and I was having troubles getting any computing done, so I got rid of the computer altogether.

Finally I got a new used laptop and it had Windows 7 installed on it. I didn't like 7, but at least it ran. But then the whole computer died from overheating only 2 months later.

Luckily my sister in law donated her computer to me which had Vista on it so I formatted it for Puppy Linux which ran really smooth, especially for internet use. But then it spontaneously died after about 2 months so I got pissed off and threw it in the trash after several days of nothing working.

Finally, I got another used desktop computer and it had Windows 7 on it and it ran ok for the six months it took me to configure and optimize it. Then it started corrupting itself during every shutdown and giving errors on every bootup until it finally completely failed. Oddly enough, it wouldn't even boot up from the Windows boot CD-ROM, even though Linux ran OK every single time.

So I got pissed off and erased all of Windows except for my program installers and archives and personal files and formatted the drive entirely for Linux, and saved my files onto the Ext3 partition.
I installed Linux and everything ran just fine except that the distro I chose wasn't good enough for major DAW use. So after a variety of distro test drives, I ended up on Ubuntu Studio.

So that's what I'm using now: Ubuntu Studio, and I completely abandoned Windows except for remnants of it I use via WINE v162, the Windows emulator so I can run REAPER v462 and FL Studio 11. It works pretty well with WASAPI in REAPER and PulseAudio for the system audio. I almost spent an extra 90 dollars on an old version of XP Professional on Amazon, but I couldn't be sure of the genuineness of the sale and I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Windows put me through hell. I started on Windows 95B when most people mandated Windows ME or Windows 2000. Then I got Windows 2000, but it was too slow because my computer hardware wasnt strong enough. So I got Windows 98SE which was good for DAW use, but severely buggy at first. XP SP2 OEM Home was the only version of Windows that I trust, but even it had some wierd bugs and it wasn't compatible with modern hardware.

Microsoft seems continually out of touch with their own userbase. And I have read in tech magazines that they had really bad management techniques which caused them a alot of infighting and firing people for bad reasons.
Reaper and FL Studio are my main DAWs. I use them on Ubuntu Studio Linux.
https://SoundCloud.com/Nistegmos

SP3 was a joke if you had no interest in their security center. I never installed SP3, i just did the registry to think it was sp3, never had an issue.

SP3 actually improved performance by about 10% on most users machines from recollection.

xNiMiNx wrote:SP3 was a joke if you had no interest in their security center. I never installed SP3, i just did the registry to think it was sp3, never had an issue.
sp3 sorted out a LOT of the security issues in previous versions.

So, if you surf the net with an xp machine it is kind of essential. Especially as it introduces support for WPA2 for WiFi.

I guess the main reason to use it is that most software, at least today will expect to have sp3. Ok, probably not MOST software, but ENOUGH to make it a pain if it is not installed.

There are so many patches and hotfixes that its benefits outweigh any disadvantages a few people might have. Especially with USB - it fixes so many problems it's not true.

List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480

-------------------------------
You experience a delay when you transfer data over a USB port and CPU usage increases to 100 percent on a computer that is running Windows XP with Service Pack 2
Hotfix
--------------------------------

--------------------------------------
You experience frequent disruptions and long delays in the audio stream when you use a USB 2.0 audio device in Windows XP
Hotfix
-----------------------------

---------------------------
Problems may occur when you try to transfer files to or from a device that is connected to a USB 2.0 hub in Microsoft Windows XP
Hotfix
-------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------
A USB device that is connected to a USB 2.0 hub is not detected in Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, or Windows Server 2003 x64 versions Hotfix
-------------------------------------

Plus many more!

Wasn't there a bug where the USB was slower as well? I don't remember exactly. That was fixed in sp3 iirc.

Ive never had issues with usb. I dont use wifi. I had a performance hit with sp3. Ive never encountered any errors on sp3 req software, due to running on sp2. I only mentioned GIMP, because it was the most recent software that i had some interest in, with an SP3 req.

I remember I had to upgrade to SP3 because Sonar installer refused to work without SP3... I'm talking about the installer, not Sonar itself...

MaxSynths wrote:I remember I had to upgrade to SP3 because Sonar installer refused to work without SP3... I'm talking about the installer, not Sonar itself...
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-doj ... nning-sp3/

xNiMiNx wrote:
MaxSynths wrote:I remember I had to upgrade to SP3 because Sonar installer refused to work without SP3... I'm talking about the installer, not Sonar itself...
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-doj ... nning-sp3/
Arrr too late!

This whole thread is just so head ache inducing :) well.. do continue.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

xNiMiNx wrote:Unofficial SP4 is at beta3 now :)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2599290/ ... ack-4.html
Would be inclined to wait three months after the full and final release to try it. Chances are even in release candidate form they're not going to catch all the incompatibilities that will emerge on various machines.
But good news overall.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”