Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
bmrzycki
KVRAF

4029 posts since 11 Aug, 2006, from Austin, TX

Postby bmrzycki; Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:47 pm Re: 'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor -- a serious cpu bug!?!

EvilDragon wrote:Of course Intel would want to downplay the issue, and suck in all the competitors. I don't trust them one bit. Onset looks like a typical PR machination.
I don't trust Intel one bit either. Still, it's strange that the Intel patches were fast-tracked into mainline and as of today the AMD patch has not:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... -4.15-Test
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... le-x86-PTI
Feel free to call me Brian.
EvilDragon
KVRAF

16273 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:48 pm Re: 'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor -- a serious cpu bug!?!

Never good being the underdog, I suppose... Intel's money talks, probably.
jdnz
KVRian

688 posts since 2 Oct, 2011, from Christchurch, New Zealand

Postby jdnz; Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:53 pm Re: 'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor -- a serious cpu bug!?!

EvilDragon wrote:
jdnz wrote:also kontakt (and presumably omnisphere) caches sample data - which even further lowers the i/o load

Not when you're streaming hundreds of voices on the lowest DFD buffer size from your SSDs. That's a lot of random disk reads right there. Sure it might not saturate the bandwidth fully, but it IS a lot of streaming.

true - people running vienna ensemble could possibly hit high enough i/o loads for it to matter I'd expect. So potentially an issue for people working in the scoring area
EvilDragon
KVRAF

Postby EvilDragon; Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:57 pm Re: 'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor -- a serious cpu bug!?!

You don't even need to run VEP. Just have a bunch of Kontakt instances streaming various heavy orchestral and other libraries from multiple SSDs at a time (I have 4 1 TB SSDs just for this)...
lnikj
KVRAF

1714 posts since 23 May, 2005, from the North Cornwall coast

Postby lnikj; Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:10 pm Re: 'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor -- a serious cpu bug!?!

Not sure if this (detailed explanation) has been posted yet:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01 ... s-patches/
bmrzycki
KVRAF

Postby bmrzycki; Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:11 pm Re: 'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor -- a serious cpu bug!?!

Keyscape also makes _heavy_ use of streaming samples.
KVRAF

2979 posts since 27 Dec, 2002, from North East England

Postby cron; Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:15 pm Re: 'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor -- a serious cpu bug!?!

TheVerge wrote:Intel says it’s working with AMD and ARM in a strongly worded statement, despite AMD engineer Tom Lendacky previously saying “AMD processors are not subject to the types of attacks that the kernel page table isolation feature protects against.” Intel says it planned to disclose this issue next week along with other vendors, but that it’s issuing a statement today due to what it angrily describes as “inaccurate media reports.”

EvilDragon wrote:Of course Intel would want to downplay the issue, and suck in all the competitors. I don't trust them one bit. Onset looks like a typical PR machination.

Wonder if the CEO was already drafting this strongly worded statement in his head a month back as he sold every single share he possibly could. https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/12/ ... stock.aspx

Also worth noting that Intel's claim that the "average computer user" won't be affected means literally nothing. What's the average computer user? It's about as nebulous as it gets. Microsoft Office suite won't seem any slower?
EvilDragon
KVRAF

Postby EvilDragon; Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:32 pm Re: 'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor -- a serious cpu bug!?!

Yeah. Also, stating it "it's not a bug, but we have patches coming out soon". LOL :D
teilo
KVRist

127 posts since 29 Mar, 2008

Postby teilo; Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:42 pm Re: 'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor -- a serious cpu bug!?!

Well, I'm on macOS 10.13.2, which contains the initial patch, and I have not seen a hit at all in any DAW related work. Diva, Repro, etc. are where I would expect them to be in terms of CPU usage.

Reports from the field on the Linux patch are that I/O heavy tasks like databases (Postgres, etc.) see a hit. Games running on GL are not seeing any hit, but given how the GPU plays into things, I wouldn't expect much of a hit. More telling is that FFMPEG video encoding tasks (non-GPU boosted) are NOT seeing a hit.

So I would venture that CPU-heavy / I/O-light tasks probably are fine. I doubt we will see a hit with DAW work. Here's hoping.
macOS 10.13.x | Ableton 10 | Bitwig 2.x | Reason 10
Akai MPK249 | Scarlett 6i6 v2 | Adam Audio T7V & Sub8
U-he everything | Komplete Ult. 11 | Serum | Steinberg Absolute 3 | Arturia V Coll. 5 | Fabfilter Pro all | countless others
bmrzycki
KVRAF

Postby bmrzycki; Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:26 pm Re: 'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor -- a serious cpu bug!?!

Google has confirmed this affects pretty much everyone.

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/ ... -side.html

Variants of this issue are known to affect many modern processors, including certain processors by Intel, AMD and ARM. For a few Intel and AMD CPU models, we have exploits that work against real software. We reported this issue to Intel, AMD and ARM on 2017-06-01 [1].
EvilDragon
KVRAF

Postby EvilDragon; Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:33 pm Re: 'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor -- a serious cpu bug!?!

See CPUs tested. Zen architecture isn't mentioned, it's only older AMD CPUs, and only under a VERY specific Linux case?
Last edited by EvilDragon on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnu23
KVRian

537 posts since 8 Mar, 2004, from Network 23

Postby gnu23; Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:34 pm Re: 'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor -- a serious cpu bug!?!

Intel's official statement about the issue.
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---
Cinebient
KVRAF

3405 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Postby Cinebient; Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:39 pm Re: 'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor -- a serious cpu bug!?!

gnu23 wrote:Intel's official statement about the issue.

And what does that mean....is it a kind of global new world problem for nearly all cpu´s.
Even ARM mentioned...maybe i was to early to be lucky to have iOS as second music production environment.
Is this the end of all :borg: :D
aciddose
KVRAF

11855 posts since 7 Dec, 2004

Postby aciddose; Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:58 pm Re: 'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor -- a serious cpu bug!?!

What will take "a hit" if you want to phrase it that way are cases in which process activity switches frequently between user space and kernel space.

The kernel now needs to isolate itself from user processes in order to protect itself from perverts with binoculars spying on its daughters. So it builds its mansion on top of the other side of a mountain rather than directly next to perverta village.

Now when someone from the village needs to discuss something with the kernel they need to take the long trek around and up the mountain to do so.

99% of this is total speculation (guessing, fantasy) too, so I would advise people to trust nothing until verifiable information is presented.
camsr
KVRAF

6804 posts since 16 Feb, 2005

Postby camsr; Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:29 pm Re: 'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor -- a serious cpu bug!?!

I want more details on what processors are affected. This seems to be some design flaw of out-of-order execution from what I've gathered so far, but that's not enough information to determine anything really.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Computer Setup and System Configuration