Terratec EWS64 XXL with Waldorf Microwave PC

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lunatique wrote:BTW, just wondering, is it possible to upload the existing Microwave XT soundsets available on the internet into the Microwave PC and use them?
yep, its just sysex data and as the architecture of the card is exactly the same it will load them no problem.

up to $52 and it hasn't met the reserve...

hope it doesn't got loads higher for you...

Lunatique wrote:While the original's voice can be expanded, I don't think the PC one can?
Nope, the MicroWAVE PC can't be expanded - I asked. :(
So what's one to do if all 10 voices are maxed out all the time? (I love big chords and lush pads....)
Sample via the SPDIF out! ;)

Lunatique wrote:I hope the seller has all the original manual/drivers/softwares though--it's not shown in the photo he took.
If he doesn't, I could upload them to you. I've still got mine here somewhere. Also, there's this old site which you might find useful - http://www.ews64.com/maincontents.html

Thanks! I have no idea what the reserved price is--I hope it's not too high. And I hope no other jackasses go and up the bid amount. Haven't these dorks ever heard of bid sniping? :D

Wow, that looks cool!
I hope you get it Luna, and then you can tell us all how cool it is! :D
I wonder why the seller says he had problems setting it up? Might be worth asking him before sniping it.
Anti-aliasing is for "synthmonk%ys".

Lunatique wrote:Thanks! I have no idea what the reserved price is--I hope it's not too high. And I hope no other jackasses go and up the bid amount. Haven't these dorks ever heard of bid sniping? :D
You better HOPE someone ups the bid amount. With the reserve not met, even as the highest bidder, you're not going to win the card at all.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

I've got a system worked out--I'm an ebay veteran from way back, so I can pretty much get any item if I set my mind to it. (not cheating either.)Unless, some f**ker decides to use the same system--then it's just a matter of who's the fastest draw in the west. ;)

The seller said "Okay, now abut the setup. I've been doing some research and this thing has 5 IRQs, its non plug n' play. you can shutoff certain IrQs for devices on the card your not using (MIDI game port) by using a small DOS program. But removing all drivers in the system your using and setting this bitch up first is probably your best bet. And using an older OS too would help."

I'm wondering if I should hold out and spend more on an actual XT unit though--then I get that lovely orange and physical knobs to tweak. With so many knobs, what's a boy to do but go buck wild? :D

I'm sort of having second thoughts about the item. I mean, I'd love to get a working Microwave XT in PC form, but I don't know if it's worth it to have to boot up a seperate computer everytime just to use it. If something on my old PC kicks the bucket, I'd have a hell of a time finding replacement components as that generation of computer is now obsolete. (I suppose you can say the same thing for the actual Microwave XT units too--as they are no longer supported and discontinued.)

I'm also not sure if the kind of synth Waldof makes is that fun without all the knobs to tweak. I mean, they've made rackmount synths that have very few knobs, but the PC version has none--just a software UI that you'd have to tweak with your mouse (can I setup a midi controller to control all the virtual knobs?).

Anyway, I'm now undecided, so blaster78, if your friend still want it, tell him it's fair game--whoever is the fastest draw in the west will get it (unless I decide not to get it at all).

Hi!
Just fyi, I have a Microwave PC + a DMX 6fire running perfectly fine under Windows XP Pro. I use the DMX card just for accessing the Microwave, its drivers work perfectly along with my other audio cards like the MT88.
The MWPC can be integrated quite nicely in Cubase SX using the digital inputs/outputs and behaves then almost like a VSTi (own MIDI port, patch management from within Cubase, own mixer channels, ...). Very satisfied with it!

Cheers

Toby

www.tobybear.de

blaster78 wrote:
Lunatique wrote:BTW, just wondering, is it possible to upload the existing Microwave XT soundsets available on the internet into the Microwave PC and use them?
yep, its just sysex data and as the architecture of the card is exactly the same it will load them no problem..
Realy???
I checked it, but Microwave PC can't open sysex files.

I sent sysex (Microwave1 bank) too via MIDI from another computer, but Microwave PC frozen and need restart always :-/

EWS is a beast swiss army knife with excellent DAC chips and a routing that can be quite puzzling at times. The card worked well under XP. And yep, it's ISA and quite a long card.

DMX shone with better mixer / simpler routing but mediocre driver and stability and liked to go completely mute for no reason until next reboot. It also used to drop Microwave control ('no frontpanel out there') on this occasion. This has shown up in two completely independent installations.

The microwave is indeed almost the same as its stand-alone brethren except GUI and expandability.
tobybear wrote:Hi!
Just fyi, I have a Microwave PC + a DMX 6fire running perfectly fine under Windows XP Pro.
May i ask what version of driver / control panel you are using?

Necrothread !
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Sorry, didn't notice that. :oops:
As for the sysex, it's been a while since i toyed around with it, but i'd also say it can use patch data from stand-alone microwaves. Perhaps the data or midi connection is corrupt?

Adding my 2c to the necrothread...

I think possibly the sysex problem is incompatibility of Microwave 1 sysex with Microwave XT/PC. Not 100% sure tho.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Good info: http://www.soundtower.com/synth/microwave.htm (http://www.soundtower.com/synth/microwave.htm)

"The MicrowavePC is not able to send SYSEX messages (although it can receive those). That's a problem if you want to use sound editors, which need a bi-directional SYSEX communication with the respective device. For this reason Wolfgang Schneider wrote a little tool that sends all SYSEX the MWPC is producing through any desired MIDI-Out port (you have to use a V-MIDI device or Hubi's loopback, if you want other applications to receive the data). The utility has been tested with SoundDiver and µWavEdit (Canadian shareware MW editor). Your MWPC now works like an external Microwave.
Though µWavEdit will soon have this feature built in, SoundDiver won't. Of course, the MicrowavePC also sends other, non-SYSEX MIDI: arpeggiator notes, MIDI timecode etc. Those are (not yet) implemented, because Wolfgang has to use a polling mechanism (due to the driver architecture). This would propably lead to a rather high CPU load.

Go to our Download Page to get this utility"

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”