The linux DAW thread

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MusE Rosegarden Waveform Pro

briandc wrote:
grymmjack wrote:Hi guys!

Recently installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Is Ubuntu studio the same stuff minus the packages and maybe the desktop? Seems so.

Anyone got a Novation nio 2|4 USB driver for Linux?

Thanks!
The easiest way to set up an audio environment at this point, is to go into Synaptic Package Manager. Click "reload" to update the lists. Click "mark all upgrades" to update your already-installed stuff. If it indicates stuff to be updated, update it.

Then put in the search field, "ubuntu studio." You should see a series of packages that you can choose to download or not. (Some of them may be video-oriented rather than audio, since Ubuntu Studio was designed to specialize in both audio and video production.)

Once you've checked the packages that you want installed (click "mark" if they require any dependency packages), then click "apply" and then "apply."

When the download and install is finished, you may need to reboot your computer (it will tell you if you need to do it).

Voilà! :)

brian
Thanks Brian! So your instructions basically turn my Ubuntu into a Studio-like distro? That's fantastic. I'm excited to give it a shot. I am in love with Linux so far. It was a headache getting my nVidia card setup with dual displays and running in 3D desktop mode, but now that's done, I've only got the novation nio to try and hook up. TBH I'm looking for other audio cards though as well.

The thing about doing what you said, will this provide a low latency kernel? I've been doing some research and it seems that's what I'd want for audio, but it also seems that my favorite DAW (Ableton Live) might not take advantage of lower latency through WINE?

Anyway, really pleased to start this fantastic journey again. I'm an oldschool linux user but ditched for Windows to get mainstream support of the latest and greatest hardware. It's amazing how far linux has come these days though.

Truly viable alternative to osx/win for free. What an awesome time to be a geek!

Anyone using crunchbang linux? That looks right up my alley too. Lots of great linux distros these days!

grymmjack wrote:
Thanks Brian! So your instructions basically turn my Ubuntu into a Studio-like distro? That's fantastic. I'm excited to give it a shot. I am in love with Linux so far. It was a headache getting my nVidia card setup with dual displays and running in 3D desktop mode, but now that's done, I've only got the novation nio to try and hook up. TBH I'm looking for other audio cards though as well.

The thing about doing what you said, will this provide a low latency kernel? I've been doing some research and it seems that's what I'd want for audio, but it also seems that my favorite DAW (Ableton Live) might not take advantage of lower latency through WINE?

Anyway, really pleased to start this fantastic journey again. I'm an oldschool linux user but ditched for Windows to get mainstream support of the latest and greatest hardware. It's amazing how far linux has come these days though.

Truly viable alternative to osx/win for free. What an awesome time to be a geek!
Hi grymmjack,
it's great to see you're excited about linux. There are literally hundreds of versions to choose from; some are faster than others. Even if you don't have a low latency kernel, the latest kernel is quite fast, and may be sufficient to make music just fine. I'm using a distro called "BodhiLinux" on an old PC, and it's a blast! And, most drivers for video/sound cards are already included in the kernel itself. Only a few are still not supported, and it's only a matter of time before they are. ;)

As for audio cards, I use a small audio card that was included with my Behringer UMX-490 midi controller (but you can get it separately for cheap). It runs out-of-the-box, and performs really well for me. (Note however that all computers use different hardware, so your tweaking will be different from mine.)

I've never used Ableton Live, so I can't say for sure what kind of success you'll have with it. But I think by now there's a way to use it, since it's pretty popular.

I would also suggest posting a query at the guys on this forum: linuxmusicians.com
They're really helpful, and will probably be able to tell you right off the bat if what you're using will create problems or not, and if so, how to get around it.

Let me know what they say.

brian

PS. When you install the Ubuntu Studio package, it will ask you if you want to have low-latency capability. You should check yes, of course. Note however, that low latency means that non-audio making apps may take longer to work, since low latency capability will give high priority to audio apps, and lower priority to non-audio apps.

grymmjack wrote:Anyone using crunchbang linux? That looks right up my alley too. Lots of great linux distros these days!
The audio apps are generally available, in any linux. It's fun to have
so many system choices, and great then great flexibility within them. 8)

m-audio pci cards are simple to use in linux.
Reaper is the best daw choice for wine. A few people get FLStudio working,
only heard of one success using Ableton, and that had no followup.
Hopefully lurking happily. Reaper works fine for the basics, some happy linux users at the reaper forum.

To me, rakarrack is the killer app, a gui holding 10 fx, from a larger
collection. Native synths yoshimi/zynaddsubfx, phasex, hexter(DX7 sysex player)
and Calf Monosynth, as well as Reaper output, benefit greatly.

The Hydrogen drum machine/sample sequencer makes quick work of rythyms
loops, and beats, and creating new kits from any wav samples, is easy.
Cheers

glokraw wrote:m-audio pci cards are simple to use in linux.
Hopefully lurking happily. Reaper works fine for the basics, some happy linux users at the reaper forum.
As a side note: Recent versions of Presonus' StudioOne seems to work fine with Wine too.

PS. When you install the Ubuntu Studio package, it will ask you if you want to have low-latency capability. You should check yes, of course. Note however, that low latency means that non-audio making apps may take longer to work, since low latency capability will give high priority to audio apps, and lower priority to non-audio apps.
I didn't post to linuxmusician.com yet, but I signed up.

What's the audio card you got with your Behringer? I installed the studio package :) Lots of toys and things to learn now :hihi:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Category/Re ... spx?s=R200

UCA 202 or 222?

Behringer have made a lot of affordable products 8)

I wouldn't worry about kernel RT too much. Most people don't
get bogged down with spreadsheets and word processing
when they are jamming in record mode :wink:

You can get the new version of Studio1337, for maximum RT goodness,

http://www.getstudio1337.com

it ships as a bootable pre-configured linux audio studio, and
a hard-disk install video is here, for those so inclined:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXFLqrUY ... e=youtu.be

A free 255 page linux manual is here:
http://linuxquestions.tradepub.com/free/w_freb01/
but requires registration of personal info.

Cheers

Benutzername wrote:
As a side note: Recent versions of Presonus' StudioOne seems to work fine with Wine too.
Maybe write the linux system and hardware specs, and post them at some
linux websites? Folks get tired of hearing about reaper all the time :wink:
Some of them may even have a bundled Studio One just gathering dust.
Cheers

grymmjack wrote:
I didn't post to linuxmusician.com yet, but I signed up.

What's the audio card you got with your Behringer? I installed the studio package :) Lots of toys and things to learn now :hihi:
Glad you signed up. They're a good bunch of guys there, too.

The Behringer card is UCA222. It's a little thing, and probably not the top of the line. But for some odd reason, it just works really well for me.

Again, milage may vary when it comes to audio cards. I had problems with an M-audio card (not that it doesn't perform, but I was getting a type of occasional distortion, and I think it's probably a defect in the audio card.)

Let me know how your new toys are working.. :D

brian

glokraw wrote:http://www.behringer.com/EN/Category/Re ... spx?s=R200

UCA 202 or 222?

Behringer have made a lot of affordable products 8)

I wouldn't worry about kernel RT too much. Most people don't
get bogged down with spreadsheets and word processing
when they are jamming in record mode :wink:

You can get the new version of Studio1337, for maximum RT goodness,

http://www.getstudio1337.com

it ships as a bootable pre-configured linux audio studio, and
a hard-disk install video is here, for those so inclined:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXFLqrUY ... e=youtu.be

A free 255 page linux manual is here:
http://linuxquestions.tradepub.com/free/w_freb01/
but requires registration of personal info.

Cheers
UCA222.

Great video about studio 13.37! I have to try that one sometime! :)

brian

http://au.fairlight.com.au/product/quantum/technical/

More of a high-end linux-vst solution:

"Built-in embedded Linux PC"

Nice barrel of winE under the hood :wink:

glokraw wrote:http://au.fairlight.com.au/product/quantum/technical/

More of a high-end linux-vst solution:

"Built-in embedded Linux PC"

Nice barrel of winE under the hood :wink:
Yep. That means that they don't need to purchase special licenses in order to build their machines.

Of course, their source code should also be available to all..

brian

glokraw wrote:
Benutzername wrote:
Maybe write the linux system and hardware specs, and post them at some
linux websites? Folks get tired of hearing about reaper all the time :wink:
Some of them may even have a bundled Studio One just gathering dust.
Cheers
I've only seen this thread on the presonus forum and I don't know if there is more information elsewhere. I've tried to install the latest version of StudioOne Pro on Arch Linux with the latest Wine version. It worked right out of the box with the default audio/MIDI system of Wine. Of course you'll need to get jack and WineASIO up and running to get the best performance.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/drumkv1/

new drum sample player, to be used by sequencers,
written by a famous sequencer author, of all things :shock: :hihi:

Cheers

Harrison Mixbus 2.2 is out!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”