The linux DAW thread

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MusE Rosegarden Waveform Pro

feeling lazy (and off to see the chinese state circus and shaolin monks in a few minutes so dont have the reserach time today)

anyone know of an up-to-date resource that lists USB audio interfaces known to work well under linux ?

slainte :?: rob

Try here for starters.

http://www.linux-usb.org/

But, if you are having problems it could be distribution specific.

As said previously, patching a normal distribution may not work fully as it probably kernel specific. On a normal desktop distro, ie Ubuntu it's probably not been fully compiled into the kernel as its not needed for a desktop.

Better to use a dedicated music distribution sorry to say! :shrug:

I've gone back to 64Studio and nearly finished compiling all the music apps including the jack dev libs. Hopefully I will make this available as a small iso image as an easy upgrade for newbies.

It also includes an XT2 theme.... :wink:

fake
You cant beat people up then have them say "I love you"

thanks for the link bernie

BTW - im not trying to get an existing USB interface to work - im in the market for a fairly cheap but decent one to replace my laptop onboard sound until such time as freebob [a] gets easier to use and understand and supports my firewire interface

your 64studio project sounds cool - if i can ever remember what issues i had with that distro that stopped me using it i might give it another try when youre done

slainte 8) rob

Hope you get one sorted.

I've also compiled freebob into jack and qjackctl but have no way of testing it yet.

Check this space in a week or so! :)

fake

Coming this April... Ubuntu Studio

ermi wrote:Coming this April... Ubuntu Studio
I wonder what Ubuntustudio is about.. from the Wiki:
The plan at the moment is:
  • * Use only packages in official Ubuntu repositories
    * Use the best kernel Feisty Fawn provides.
    * Use Gnome
    * Build "Alt" DVD
So what exactly will be the difference between common Ubuntu and Ubuntustudio? The colorscheme?
ngfnjhte?

It doesn't even say anything about supported audio devices, or which audio software is going to be included! I mean, even if that information is supposedly buried in their other cryptic information, they need to make it front-and-centre and visible.

Another example of why Linux fails to break through to the desktop market properly. *sigh* I've been running some Linux in VMware lately and I quite enjoy it. I could switch, actually, if it supported hardware (or more accurately, if hardware vendors added support for Linux) I have, and if there was better software available for audio.

FULLLY full-on audio editor (ie. Audition, Acoustica, Soundforge)... nope.
Fully full-on sequencer with VST support... nope.
Lunch Money as full-time Linux user... nope.

;)

VMware makes it somewhat accessible, I guess. But if all I'm doing is browsing and using The GIMP, hardly seems worth the switch, esp. when The GIMP also comes in Windows flavour and there are any number of non-IE browsers for Windows.

Greg

Lunch Money wrote:FULLLY full-on audio editor (ie. Audition, Acoustica, Soundforge)... nope.
but not far off IMHO - all rezound really needs to be a full replacement for audition (for MY purposes - which admittedly might not be everyones) is a good noise reduction tool (and support for linux VST if that ever takes off although there is some quality LADSPA processing stuff around)
Lunch Money wrote:Fully full-on sequencer with VST support... nope.
i know youre not a big fan but it IS on its way - again though unless we can start to persuade some big (freeware at least) name devs to port VST to linux then that part at least is fairly academic i guess

but yeah - the hardware thing still seems to me to be the biggest single hurdle - particularly for audio in terms of controllers and audio / MIDI interfaces

slainte ;) rob

I agree it is still not ready for mainstream use or as a windows replacement and as before recommend a dual boot. It is getting noticed now though and will improve in time.

I have recompiled some of the audio stuff with the latest cvs and svn versions but they are for 64studio 32bit version only. The reason is because of the version of libjack-dev 102.20.0-1 as I compiled it on 64studio. It does now allow you to compile your own apps as well.

I will upload them soon but here is a small list:

64studio launcher stolen and customised from ubuntu which can use set-rlimits, a desktop menu list with some custom icons, amsynth 1.20.0, audacity 1.3 2 beta with port audio, glashctl, fst 1.9 lashed and a number of lashed apps, jackbeat 0.6 , libjack-dev 102.20.0-1, all the dssi stuff including dss-vst, lmms-vst, ardour2 beta 9 and a xt2 theme (maybe).
Not enabled vst in ardour because I find it very buggy.

I'm sorry to say that these are in a private vault and by invitation only. Just pm me with an email addy and I will then send you a link.

This might worth a try when the final release comes.#

http://jacklab.org/

I'd really like to use Linux on my DAW, but the lack of mature apps is a problem. Example: Rosegarden, AFAIK, can NOT import/export Quicktime/AVI movies, or more importantly, sync/align MIDI or audio to video. This almost renders it useless for Film Scoring. There is a distro called dyne:bolic that has many audio & video apps. I suppose you could somehow use those video apps in conjunction w/Rosegarden to make it at least import a video....Anyhow, another distro worth checking out is AGNULA.

Does anybody have any USB interfaces they recommend? I'm using a firewire solo right now but I'm getting weird flakiness with my jack server dying randomly. Since I'm using energyXT2 exclusively anyways, I'd love to be able to use ALSA directly rather than have to use JACK. (which is the state of freebob for the foreseeable future)

I wonder what Ubuntustudio is about..

Here's an interview with the Ubuntu Studio project manager;
http://oktyabr.wordpress.com/2007/01/27 ... y-kontros/

alxstewart wrote:
I wonder what Ubuntustudio is about..

Here's an interview with the Ubuntu Studio project manager;
http://oktyabr.wordpress.com/2007/01/27 ... y-kontros/

Thanks for the link. :)

I'm surprised, I didn't realise Dana was no longer involved, pity as he was a very helpful and polite guy.

TBH, this looks as though it will be just another Linux 32bit multimedia distribution with a ubuntu front end and not much different to others already available. :shrug:
I think Dana's idea was for a dedicated DAW for that same reason, too much of the "monkey see, monkey do" syndrome.

But, if it gets music on Linux noticed then............ :D

fake

I came here to ask if anyone has more info about this ubuntu studio, and I see you guys already are discussing it.
Couple screens:
http://www.ubustu.com/globe/2007/04/14/ ... reenshots/

I'm tempted to try it, I still have a spare laptop afterall.
Anyone knowledged can shed more light?

I really know nothing about linux, let alone a new distribution like this.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”