The linux DAW thread

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MusE Rosegarden Waveform Pro

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig2/

well, android is at least pseudo-linux, so congrats to IK
for making many more portable devices compatible
with musicians.

Note 3, Note 4, Galaxy Edge, Galaxy S5, S6, and android 5 devices

I had good results last year creating a DAW on Ubuntu Studio (LTS:long time support version). I learned a lot about tweaking and optimizing and with WINE I was able to run FL Studio and Reaper and some portable freewares for Windows. This year I'm trying out Lubuntu since it's designed for older computers and is not as bloated as Ubuntu Studio. So far I'm able to do the same things but the comparison isn't exact since my older system was a desktop and this version is a laptop.

But overall, the Ubuntu's seem like a really nice way to go. I just cherry picked the features I liked from Ubuntu Studio and upgraded Lubuntu to have those. It works pretty well. It's not perfection, but nothing ever is in computer science. I'm using all freeware VST plugins, but my FL Studio plugins should work as well as soon as I download them.
Download & play soothing music: https://soundcloud.com/wait_codec

Welcome to KVR! I've had access to some form of ubuntu, since Studio 8.06,
which worked very well. I've used Bodhi, and Mint, and artistX also,
ubuntu based, with similar good results. Mainly use pclinuxos, and Studio 1337
(an RT Puppy/Slackware a/v production setup, that is extremely fast.)

I also do the 'cherry picking' method, it works well for most linux setups,
provides familiarity, and the Steinberg folder inside .wine folder,
can travel through many installations of linux. So much great freeware.
I'm going to try PG8X this week, it gets great reviews from good sources. 8)
Cheers

After using jalv cmmands to load an lv2 instrument I hadn't used before,
I found quite a few lv2 plugins, calf -27, guitarix -43, individuals from rakarrack -27, X42 -10,
teragonaudio -5, mda -37, invada -9, meters -9, zam -8, TAL -10, mod -22,
cabbage -62, plus many many more, linuxsampler, calf monosynth/organ,
and yoshimi among them.
Ardour, Carla, Qtractor, musE, and jalv commands, can load them. Some
others without direct lv2 support, can use falkTX Carla or jackass vsts to access the lv2's,
LMMS, Bitwig, perhaps Traction. Lots of variety, and some great effects/instruments.
ssj71 is busy porting the many effects held in rakarrack, very nice to have them
out in the open for lighter weight in a session. The Triceratops synth is well under
modern radar, and has a great gui for novice sound designers like me, reminds
of Tone2 Firebird, with a good selection of options, minus the clutter,
and with excellent sound.
Good times on the halfshell! 8)

A new release of qtractor linux daw, with a new experimental freeze function,
other new features, and fug bixes.

I was interested to see how support for U-he linux plugin ports is progressing,
and was pleasantly surprised. Using the suse rpm, with an nvidia video card,
and nvidia 3d driver, moving multiple U-he gui's below and above various
qtractor screens worked fine, as did the various kinds of instrument controls.
Great fun to use such world class instruments with the many linux effects,
and in a linux daw that's pretty easy to use, and regularly improved. 8)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtracto ... tor/0.6.7/

(has suse rpms, and tar.bz)
I assume it will be added to kx and debian repos in due time, to access a .deb
Has been know to convert successfully between package formats
using the alien command.

Home page: http://qtractor.sourceforge.net/qtractor-index.html
Cheers

Redux, a tri-platform sampling sequencing rompling app, is now out
in the wilds, with sfz support. Could be nice for those with Dimension Pro,
who haven't upgraded yet.

http://www.renoise.com/redux

http://www.renoise.com/download

Cheers

Linux audio is beyond broken. I think jack is the culprit but portaudio gets the blame. I imagine this year there will be yet another app thats a half-working virtual patchbay for jack.
6 different computers, 4 different distros, and gobs of hours wasted trying to get the majority of the apps to work. Note that every video you see the guy will do it different. Apperently there is no "right" way, you just keep tinkering with it till it works.
Easiest way I've found is to use apps that don't require jack.
Im not a linux newbie, but Im no expert either.
Sadly microsoft has decided to change the usability if window at ver 8. It sux now. Heh my phone works better than any of the newer computers I've used.
James

If you mention what some of your audio goals are, I'll try to
provide some sensible info. The audio is not broken, but you must have
compatible hardware, and connect the cables between the various possibilities.
mAudio pci cards are the best choice, for simple and reliable use, in all distros.
Focusrite and Native Instruments have some good compatible usb devices.
Fenders Mustang usb Amp series is great for guitarists. It can be done.

This page has some really good tutorials, #3 is an in depth
guide to using jackd. Wish the page had been around 8 years ago!

http://libremusicproduction.com/
Cheers

Thanks for the reply, Ill look at those.
James

OK here's an update...
Lubuntu didn't quite work as intended because it's not a low latency kernel. So I went back to Windows for a few weeks, but then Windows got malware infected, so I went back to Ubuntu Studio which does have a low latency kernel. And the Windows 7 disk thrashing is gone too of course.

The main angle is that I use Alesis USB Class Compliant hardware so that no drivers are needed. It works out that way.
FL Studio functionality is tricky because ever since 12 some windows dont display correctly. FL Studio 11 works though. But I still use FL Studio 12 just as a step sequencer and then render to WAVs.

Luckily Reaper works. There's a little bit of preferences tweaking, but not a whole lot. Some in Reaper, some in Ubuntu, and some of the PulseAudio preferences. I don't use JACK at all.

Glad things are working well. I'm also a reaper user,
but with jack/wineasio instead of pulse. Reaper just keeps
plugging along, a step ahead, and a dollar cheaper than the rest.

I'm gonna try reapers wasapi driver for 64 bit reaper someday, and see how well
I can get it to run. Might need to get play-on-linux, and try different
wine versions. But it works so well now, there's no rush.
Cheers

Just an update: I am getting slightly better results than before because I stopped using PulseAudio for wine. I just use the "default audio" source within Config Wine. I think it defaults back to ALSA this way. This is in Ubuntu Studio v14.04.x. Also, I updated Wine to the latest repo version. I think that's what made it possible because I don't think this option worked right in the past.

Also I found out that FL Studio gets slightly better results if I use the FL Studio ASIO driver instead of the other ASIO or JACK connections.

So far it's working out and I don't plan on ever going back to Windows. Most of my graphics programs work in Ubuntu Studio also. And the kernel is low latency so for audio it's good.

About 5 years ago, I was in the position of having to use a linux-based shared computer to do music on; it was running fedora (13, I think?) and, having never messed with linux before, there was a whole lot of learning done in a short period of time.

While I liked the freedom and control (and of course the no-$$-needed aspect) of linux, the endless searching for and tweaking the various puzzle-pieces needed to make basic things happen (along with the many abandoned dead ends of what started out as promising and ambitious solutions) got old quick.

I was finally able to get a few things done using Ardour and LMMS, but when the financial opportunity came to build my own system, I went with Win 7, and as much as I admire/respect the benefits/philosophy behind linux, I still haven't seen enough progress/stability in audio-related linux development to change my mind yet. Ardour and LMMS have certainly come a long way. I remember thinking Rosegarden looked interesting, but wouldn't run back then. The linux community is certainly passionate, I'll say that much- "No, it's really easy, all you have to do is..." (three pages later) "...and that's it, you're good to go!" ;)
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

ccDuckett wrote: I'll say that much- "No, it's really easy, all you have to do is..." (three pages later) "...and that's it, you're good to go!" ;)
There's just enough truth there to say 'ouch!' :hihi: Still, with bitwig, ardour 4,
tracktion 6, qtractor 3.67 for daws, and fine sounds from U-he, DiscoDSP,
Pianoteq, and Loomer, it's been a nice couple of years for linux audio.
Guitarix, Hydrogen, Yoshimi, Zynaddsubfx, amsynth, dexed, hexter, obxd,
Calf and TAL collections, the MOD project, the new helm synth,
and a forest of lv2 plugins are keeping things lively. Airwave and reaper
offer solid vst support, and festige is getting an update soon.
So there's little that can't be done, when using supported hardware.

Audio production is based around inputs, outputs, drivers, and configurations.
The numbers and complexities don't vary much between mac, pc, and linux.
Learning curves exist for someone new to any OS. I like the skeletal freedom
that with comes with using linux, and the absense of locks on the toolbox.
I might have to give in and get a win7 frisbee to run Reaktor at some point,
since a lot of the content requires it now. Maybe there'll be a barge-pole on sale
in the marketplace, at just the right time :wink:

I use Arch and as i recall it was pretty painless. Worked straight out of the box if my memory serves me correctly.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”