Native Instruments or TC Electronic?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm about to buy a new sound card for my home studio, so I need some help on choosin' between Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 and TC Electronic Desktop Konekt 6.

Pros of TC: built-in headphone amp since I monitor a lot through headphones. On the other side I don't think that NI has one (not sure though)...

Pros of NI: Looks very nice, smaller than TC, two Mic inputs, separate channels for monitoring (1/2, 3/4) which is nice feature.

But most important thing to me is sound quality and driver stability!!!

Which one is better?

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

Kaine has a comparison test going, described in one of his
posts, and really likes the NI setup. The NI Guitar Rig floor stomper
units get good reviews, and I think there are some bundled players
as part of the KA6 deal.
I have no experience firsthand with either.
Cheers

azoc wrote: But most important thing to me is sound quality and driver stability!!!

Which one is better?
I don't know what convertors are used in the TC but on drivers alone I'd take the NI over it as the NI optimized drivers outperform the DICE controller used in the TC unit.

Thanks for replies,

@Kaine Do you own NI K6, does it have good headphone output?

I saw one comment on amazon http://www.amazon.com/review/RN4OKSMG3Y ... &linkCode= and that worries me, because I need good headphone output. :D

i really like the looks of the NI interfaces!

i have owned the TC Powercore for many years now and let me tell you that it was a disaster in the form of weak drivers that went wrong with different products.. it was all bad.. now i have the final 4.3.3 driver on my discontinued powercore (thanks for killing the line guys) and it still wont let me go below 256 samples or receive crap... also with the final driver - i get windows Event Viewer popping up every time a powercore vst is scanned in my folder......

azoc wrote: @Kaine Do you own NI K6, does it have good headphone output?
I don't own, but we've benchmarked it and group tested it to death.

The headphone output is fine and one of the guys here Dj's out with one of these out live, so if it stands up against 20K sound rigs you shouldn't have an issue in the studio. I agree with the sweetwater guys comments on it having the best convertors in it's class althrough I'd say it's the best upto $500 not $1000.

I've no idea about the guys comments as it really is a big difference from the onboard... hell it's a big diffrerence from the M-Audio/Emu's of this world in my opinion, let alone the Realtek junk you find on motherboards. However that point will depend on your speakers too. I can tell the difference on my Genelecs as well as Neumanns & Mackies we tested them on but not so much the KRK's. That said out of all of those the KRK's are the worst defined in the group test we did on the interfaces and certainly have the most mud in the lower midrange so I'd argue that the interface is being let down by the speakers being used in that guys review, as we certainly witnessed that here.

I use a few TC Impact Twins and I really like this interface...

I replaced 2 ProFire 2626 units with 4 of these for a more modular solution...

The sonics in the Impact Twins are stunning and many Hi Fi snobs are using the IT as their D/A converter because it uses the same convertors as a much revered Hi Fi unit that costs around $2k....

The preamps are also excellent and I have no hesitation in recording a lead vocal or anything else through those channels,even when I have other high quality preamps hanging around...

The other BIG bonus for me was the fact that the unit has an ADAT I/O...

There'a always so much debate about these things,but the TC works for me....

Hey, thanks for all replies and sorry for late post(I had to reinstall my rig :( )!!! I guess both cards are good quality as far as I can see. I'm leaning towards NI K6 since it looks nicer, but I'll have to test them both in my local audio shop. I think that is the best solution. :D

This thread is 3 years old, yet I am having same issue. Impact Twin or Komplete Audio 6? After testing and based on your experiences with both interfaces, which one SOUNDS BETTER?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”