Windows 8: update or not

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic

Will you update to Windows 8?

I update later this year or 2013
22%
I stay with Win7/XP as long as possible
49%
Never, I switch to another platform (MacOS, Linux,...)
5%
Not for my desktop PC but for Surface Tablet/Laptop
5%
I'm not sure
12%
Yes but only if I don't lost my installed stuff
3%
This is the first time I hear about Windows 8
0%
No idea, I'm only the housecleaner^^
4%

Total votes: 242

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Windows 8 will be released tomorrow (26).
Do you update, try it or switch to a different platform?

I prefer Windows 8 over 7 or XP. It's worth updating, although my favourite system still is OS X.

will updrade 100%, but will keep music machine/machines on XP as long as possible ;)

Hate hate hate the gui (metro) and the ability to not turn it off without a 3rd party hack.

once you get to the desktop its win 7.. so why bother
Scott
ADK

I've been running it in the Office for a few weeks now, and I got used to it very quickly and now like it a lot. I don't think I'll be upgrading my DAW any time soon though.

where's the 'f**k no, dont be stupid' option?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:where's the 'f**k no, dont be stupid' option?
Or the "my OSX Mountain Lion is perfectly fine thank you"

Hmmm... Let's see: I'll beta-test (we ALL will) Windows 8 (RC) for them in anticipation of SP-1, and suffer through all of its inevitable bugs, while waiting for the really hip devs to make touch-screen apps for it, on a buggy compiler... even though I don't have nor can afford an appropriate touch-screen this year! ... and um.

no.

p.s. "Metro" blows!!!
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

If it allows DIVA and Virtual Tape Machines to use less CPU I will get it if not then it's just a cash cow.

I will have to see it in action, maybe when I get it on a new laptop or something. Meanwhile I'm not upgrading XP to 7, I've got 7 on lappy and I don't like.

jcschild wrote:Hate hate hate the gui (metro) and the ability to not turn it off without a 3rd party hack.

Scott
ADK
Agreed. I think I'll wait and see if they get Win9 right (but W9 probably continues to use that horrible Metro UI so my hopes are not high).

It's the most cost effective way for me to get a more modern Windows OS ($50 upgrade via download??). Win7 Pro costs too much for me as a poor person, but I definitely want the Win 7 improvements that make it "What Vista shoulda been," since I've been stuck on Vista all this time. And while this is my DAW, I'm moving from Windows to Mac and it's more a legacy thing than a future production station. It is my game rig, tho.

Edit: I'm likely to disable metro ASAP since it's yet another step in Microsoft "improving usabity" by way of obstructing what you want with more layers of clicks and text. Sigh.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

sonicpowa wrote:
jcschild wrote:Hate hate hate the gui (metro) and the ability to not turn it off without a 3rd party hack.

Scott
ADK
Agreed. I think I'll wait and see if they get Win9 right (but W9 probably continues to use that horrible Metro UI so my hopes are not high).
+1 I like the metro interface on my XBOX , but if you got to do a hack to turn it off on W8 thats not good . Maybe service pack1 or windows9 will address this . MS clearly aren't targeting the corporate world with W8 but are competing with Google and Apple in the tablet and phone market . I think Metro is great but Desktop users should be able to cut it off and on , maybe if they did this they could get the corporate world to embrace 8 as well .

sonicpowa wrote:

Scott
ADK
There is certainly no guarantee of that. If Win8 is resisted by the commercial world - as currently seems likely - then a version which follows more directly from XP and Win7 will be on the cards.

It is possible we may get a fork in the Windows world with Tablet/Phones/consumer portables going one way and x86 workstations and corporate PCs another. If MS loses their footing in the corporate world they are in trouble. They will be battling it out in the consumer space with all the established players and Linux could finally clean their clock in the corporate world.

Vista was rejected and MS responded with the release of the more palatable Win 7.

update (download version) from Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3) to Windows 8 Pro version:

29,99€ or $39,99

This promotion is valid from October 26, 2012 and runs until January 31, 2013

Some infos about the upgrade:
read in German or read in English

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”