Windows 8: update or not

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic

Will you update to Windows 8?

I update later this year or 2013
22%
I stay with Win7/XP as long as possible
49%
Never, I switch to another platform (MacOS, Linux,...)
5%
Not for my desktop PC but for Surface Tablet/Laptop
5%
I'm not sure
12%
Yes but only if I don't lost my installed stuff
3%
This is the first time I hear about Windows 8
0%
No idea, I'm only the housecleaner^^
4%

Total votes: 242

RELATED
PRODUCTS

bronxsound wrote:another thing is pretty high but constant dpc latency. from what i've read on the net (and it confirms my case) it's around 1000us regardless the setup.
But this is a bug of the tool not of Windows 8 ;)
Windows 8 Compatibility: The DPC latency utility runs on Windows 8 but does not show correct values. The output suggests that the Windows 8 kernel performs badly and introduces a constant latency of one millisecond which is not the case in practice. DPCs in the Windows 8 kernel behave identical to Windows 7. The utility produces incorrect results because the implementation of kernel timers has changed in Windows 8 which causes a side effect with the measuring algorithm used by the utility. Thesycon is working on a new version of the DPC latency utility and will make it available on this site as soon as it is finished.
http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

For those of you running Win8 and Cubase, would you suggest upgrading? Or should I wait for SP1?
Blue Phase Music

4lb Kitty wrote:For those of you running Win8 and Cubase, would you suggest upgrading? Or should I wait for SP1?
Cubase/SP1 isn't necessarily the problem. W8 is very mature for a new OS because it is an extension of 7 in the ways that matter to a DAW.

The question will be if your drivers are suitable for W8. There are some minor, quibbly differences that can affect performance. I'd recommend you wait for that stuff to shake out. But again, SP1 in this case is really just a chance for the industry to adjust their products to the new OS, more than waiting on W8 to be stable.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

4damind wrote:
bronxsound wrote:another thing is pretty high but constant dpc latency. from what i've read on the net (and it confirms my case) it's around 1000us regardless the setup.
Windows 8 Compatibility: The DPC latency utility runs on Windows 8 but does not show correct values. The output suggests that the Windows 8 kernel performs badly and introduces a constant latency of one millisecond which is not the case in practice. DPCs in the Windows 8 kernel behave identical to Windows 7. The utility produces incorrect results because the implementation of kernel timers has changed in Windows 8 which causes a side effect with the measuring algorithm used by the utility. Thesycon is working on a new version of the DPC latency utility and will make it available on this site as soon as it is finished.
So does this mean no low latency audio improvements for Windows 8 over 7?

I ask because I've never been quite able to get rid of a random audio pop every half hour or so on my laptop no matter what I've tried. I was hoping maybe the slightest improvement would solve this minor problem.

According to Steinberg, everything should work.
Truly mind-boggling music! - New album out! - And a blog!

gravehill wrote:According to Steinberg, everything should work.
everything of THEIRS" should work.... and does as I'm running pretty much everything they have on W8. But, that doesn't tell you if you are safe to migrate.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

4damind wrote:
I have used apart from their tools a few others utils. And they declare pretty same values. I'm not an expert in this matter by any means just sharing my observations.

The bottom line is that I'm happily running Cubase 5.5.3 andS1 2.0.7 on my Q6600 setup. From the other hand there's always a room for improvement :)

I skipped W7 (but got used to it at work) and now moved straight from XP to W8. No major regrets so far :D

SAW75 wrote:So does this mean no low latency audio improvements for Windows 8 over 7?
With my testings performance is slightly better, I would never go back to Windows 7. Metro is great, some very nice apps (like weather) and most of the stuff is working without problems like in Win7 (this time the only plug-in which is not working correctly is Sylenth1 but Lennard knows about this problem and he said that they are working for a fix).
I expect the DPC latency will be the same or better than in Windows 7. If they have fixed the tool we will see ;)

I got Win8 (and actually 7 too) through work for free, and i've tested it a few times. It seems ok, but nothing that i need to rush into with my DAW. For the laptop or better yet a tablet it's great!
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

I'm just waiting for an answer from TASCAM to see if their US-1800 interface is compatible with Win8, and if it is, I think I'll upgrade. :)
Blue Phase Music

Kaboom75 wrote:If it allows DIVA and Virtual Tape Machines to use less CPU I will get it if not then it's just a cash cow.
That. 8) :hihi:

So far, XP works most efficiently of the bunch with audio and plugins, OS-X included, so why bother... yawn.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

8 has welcome improvements, but the fact that Metro is hardwired in is a deal breaker.

In Windows 8 CPU meter is less in Ableton live using DIVA and Omnisphere compared to Win 7 so glad I made the move to Win 8.

Programs install and open faster.

Internet pages load faster.
Internet pages are now full screen right click for the search box.

Soundtoys plugs have no bugs anymore with jbridge and Live 8 64bit.
Metro gets me to software and websites faster. I didn't like the preview version at my friends house thought it was stupid but two days with the release version I prefair Metro over Win 7. Pin what ever you like to metro one click to launch. Settings menu hidden in the corner.
Last edited by Kaboom75 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

But what about memory-space with Metro? Can you copy something to the clipboard in Metro and paste it into another app, whether in Metro or on the desktop?
Blue Phase Music

NO can't copy a file in a folder and paste onto metro.
But hit windows key and a desktop similar to Win 7 pops up and you can paste it there.

I've pined my folders to Metro so I can get in them easy with one click

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”