Windows 8: update or not

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic

Will you update to Windows 8?

I update later this year or 2013
22%
I stay with Win7/XP as long as possible
49%
Never, I switch to another platform (MacOS, Linux,...)
5%
Not for my desktop PC but for Surface Tablet/Laptop
5%
I'm not sure
12%
Yes but only if I don't lost my installed stuff
3%
This is the first time I hear about Windows 8
0%
No idea, I'm only the housecleaner^^
4%

Total votes: 242

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just a revisit of some of the Win 8 stuff we were talking about a year or so back - now with the benefit of hindsight.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12/06 ... rd_action/
Windows 8 is going down like a bucket of cold sick - but you're going to have to get used to it. It's not going away. If Microsoft has a future, this is it. Worse still, if you're a pro, you're going to have to support the thing.

Microsoft had to make this desperate, poorly integrated attempt to foist a Version 1.0 touchscreen UI on us, and do it now, even though nobody wanted it and Windows is primarily a desktop/notebook OS - precisely the type of systems for which Windows 8's touchscreen-oriented Metro Modern UI is suboptimal.

As for 8.1, it's a minor tweak - there's a Start button again, but no Start menu: the button just opens the Start page. There's an additional tile size; you can go straight to the widgetless "All Apps" view; you can keep your desktop backdrop behind the tiles; you can bypass the Start screen and go straight to the desktop on login. Feature-wise, that is it.

Why? Because the PC is dying. The next disruptive innovation is here, and it's the fondleslab. They're smaller, lighter, cheaper and simpler - but more to the point, non-techies prefer them. As a result, the decline of the PC market is accelerating - it's pushing 15 per cent a year and notebooks have joined in too.

In fact, the only category of personal computing devices that are doing well are fondleslabs and Chromebooks. Although much of the IT business doesn't yet accept it, touchscreen phones and tablets are going to replace the personal computer as we've known it for the last 35 years.

(snip)

it's why Windows 8 looks like it does, with a (slightly clunky) version of the touch interface pioneered on the Zune media players and refined on Windows Phone. Microsoft aims for the future. Windows 8 is version 1.0 of its OS for the late twenty-teens. Microsoft's management knows that it must get a stake in the new territory of touch interfaces, fondleslabs and app stores, or it will be left behind, a fading technological irrelevance. The future is small, battery-powered and keyboardless.

Yes, it's less powerful, more imprecise, slower and all the rest, but that's exactly what the text-mode fans complained 25 years ago as GUIs came in. Even in their prime and selling millions, the Mac, Amiga and ST were derided as toys by the professional, business market - until it caved in to the inevitable in the early 1990s. Only serious weirdos eschew GUIs today. The same is happening all over again, right now, but memories are short in this business.

It won't be mandatory - command lines are still around today, but most people never use them. If you're a touch-hater, there will still be keyboards and pointing devices. WIMP desktops will stick around - but mainly on FOSS systems; the mainstream will leave them behind.

In a decade, computer users won't be adjusting windows with a mouse while a box on the floor hums at them. Steve Ballmer knew this. He successfully defended his market, while also looking to the future and copying his rivals' best moves. It was a bravura performance, but it wasn't good enough and it cost him his job.

As the next five billion come online, they'll be stroking glass - and so will you.

Christ, why bother? If you're running those OS's, you've already got a much better OS, with perhaps vista being an exception for some.

metamorphosis wrote:Christ, why bother? If you're running those OS's, you've already got a much better OS, with perhaps vista being an exception for some.
m@t i got to say why bother?

what drives you on? why do you do it?

you are like some kind of authority but you know...

er..

m@t?

what is your authority?

I have nothing against Win8 in particular, for example the way one launches applications is of no consequence to me (I'm using an application for like 99.99% of my time anyway, not constantly launching it :P), but Windows 7 64-bit works so well on my workstation -- dare I say "perfectly" -- that I really don't see any point in upgrading.

In DAW use, I've had absolutely nothing to complain about in Windows 7, and it's still officially supported for a looong time, so yeah. DPC latencies super minimal, a silly number of plugin instances even when using short, short buffers... Not upgrading unless an actual reason comes up at some point.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... -windows-8

HP brings Windows 7 back 'due to popular demand' as buyers shun Windows 8
Take that, Microsoft
By Chris Merriman
Mon Jan 20 2014, 16:52

PC MAKER HP has announced that it is dropping Windows 8 in favour of its predecessor, Windows 7.

Advertising on the HP website declares, "Windows 7 is back.... Due to popular demand." The claim is more than just a marketing statement. HP is now preloading most of its PCs with Windows 7 as standard, with Windows 8 having been relegated to an optional customisation.

The move is not unprecedented. When Windows Vista was panned by critics who thought it had been released too early, many OEMs began offering a downgrade to Windows XP after it became clear that despite a charm offensive by Microsoft, public perception was irreversibly against it.

Similar issues are dogging the company once again, with Windows 8 being criticised as a hybrid system that takes the worst from tablet and desktop computing. This broadly based rejection of Windows 8 has led Microsoft to accelerate the timeline for the release of Windows 9.

Meanwhile HP has decided that the popularity of Windows 7 is its best chance of encouraging more people to buy new computers in a declining market. With discounts of $150 for taking Windows 7, this appears to be more than a gimmick and a stand against the much maligned operating system.

This is not the first time that HP has spoken out against Microsoft. In December, HP executive Sridhar Solur said that the next generation of computers could very well not be dominated by Microsoft. He said, "Look at the business model difference between Intel and ARM. Look at the operating systems. In today's world, other than Microsoft there's no one else who charges for an operating system."

The PCs that HP is offering in the promotion are largely desktops, though there are a number of Windows 7 laptops prominently advertised too. Sales of Windows 7 have not ceased for individual purchase, and there is no rule that OEMs cannot continue to provide a Windows 7 option. However HP is the first of the top five PC makers to take a definite stand in favour of Windows 7 in the consumer market.
"I got a car battery and two jumper cables that argue different."
Rust Cohle

Updated 8.0 to 8.1. Had USB support failure on Haswell build with Asus Deluxe motherboard. With Ivy Bridge/Asus mobo- no issues. Everything working. Cakewalk Sonar X3 and all soft synth. Have issue with East West Play but may not be related to 8.1 update.

The USB support failure sounds like a hardware issue with that board.
Rust Cohle

The article saying that PCs are on the way out is ridiculous. Bussinnes wont be ditching them any time soon. Sure there is a crossover but the need for compatibilty with current applications is mandate. A large display is required also. These are at odd with tablets and phones. The author clearly hasn't worked in a corporate environment.

Here comes Windows 9 :

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/thres ... april-2015

UltraJv wrote:The article saying that PCs are on the way out is ridiculous. Bussinnes wont be ditching them any time soon. Sure there is a crossover but the need for compatibilty with current applications is mandate. A large display is required also. These are at odd with tablets and phones. The author clearly hasn't worked in a corporate environment.
I certainly hope they are still around for a while yet but the dominance/centrality of Windows is what is under threat These days, when you go to see what your music software vendor has been cooking up by way of an upgrade to your PC app, you often find they've taken your money from the last update and have been dicking around ever since developing some cut-down version of it for some iThings. If the PC application market is relatively mature and people are spending hand over fist on new crap for a mobile platform the development effort naturally will follow the money.

As far as music on Windows goes, with all the plugins we use, we are pretty much wedded to the current desktop ecosystems - PC or Mac. That is quite a hurdle to overcome for anyone trying to break away. I think a critical point would be some major developer actually bundling their application with an OS - eg some flavor of Linux. (Years ago I think this might have been the idea with BeOS - which Emagic and Steinberg announced they were supporting).This would have to be some way off still - MS would have to keep screwing things up royally to drive the partners and customers away. A new environment would have to offer superior performance/reliability.
Rust Cohle

codec_spurt wrote: what is your authority?
Don't have authority, just an opinion. Don't have any more info for you than that, you snide narcissist f**k.

I have used Win 8 more than a year and updated to 8.1 a couple of days ago. Without going into details that's when I decided to wipe my harddrive and reinstall Win 7.

I have installed most of my music software and yes, I had better performance in Win 8 (actually quite a lot) compared to 7. I will stick to Win 7 anyway because I feel more comfortable with the start menu than the keyboard shortcuts or the metro. For me it's worth the "downgrade".

KungKrille are you using a Haswell cpu?

camsr wrote:KungKrille are you using a Haswell cpu?
No I have an i7 860, one of the first i7 processors. I loaded the most recent Ableton project I have been working on before the reinstall last night. The cpu load is about 10% higher on Win 7. Win 8 is great but I just can't stand the UI :?

It (Windows 8) is on my Daughter's laptop and also the Family laptop, I find it horrible to use and struggle to navigate my way around with it. I think Windows 7 is spot on and suits my wants/needs in an OS. If there was a way to make Windows 8 look like Windows 7 and function in the same easy to use manner then I would give it a try. Otherwise I'm sticking just like I did with XP

Dean Aka Nekro wrote:It (Windows 8) is on my Daughter's laptop and also the Family laptop, I find it horrible to use and struggle to navigate my way around with it. I think Windows 7 is spot on and suits my wants/needs in an OS. If there was a way to make Windows 8 look like Windows 7 and function in the same easy to use manner then I would give it a try. Otherwise I'm sticking just like I did with XP
With the current version (8.1), the Start8 add-on, and the option to boot directly to the desktop, it behaves pretty much like Windows 7. You would not notice any significant difference.
All the Metro thing may be just ignored.
Last edited by fmr on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”