Windows 8: update or not

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic

Will you update to Windows 8?

I update later this year or 2013
22%
I stay with Win7/XP as long as possible
49%
Never, I switch to another platform (MacOS, Linux,...)
5%
Not for my desktop PC but for Surface Tablet/Laptop
5%
I'm not sure
12%
Yes but only if I don't lost my installed stuff
3%
This is the first time I hear about Windows 8
0%
No idea, I'm only the housecleaner^^
4%

Total votes: 242

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dean Aka Nekro wrote:It (Windows 8) is on my Daughter's laptop and also the Family laptop, I find it horrible to use and struggle to navigate my way around with it. I think Windows 7 is spot on and suits my wants/needs in an OS. If there was a way to make Windows 8 look like Windows 7 and function in the same easy to use manner then I would give it a try. Otherwise I'm sticking just like I did with XP
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
That should help if you're really missing the Win7 start menu. I bought a license for my parents' computer and I haven't heard a single complain about Win8 from them ever.

Edit: fmr beat me to it

Thank you for the heads up on that FMR man, I appreciate it. I've noted it down and will probably try it out on the family laptop next time I'm asked to give it a look/clean out junk files...etc. :)

All the best and nice one dude

Dean

Dean Aka Nekro wrote:Thank you for the heads up on that FMR man, I appreciate it. I've noted it down and will probably try it out on the family laptop next time I'm asked to give it a look/clean out junk files...etc. :)

All the best and nice one dude

Dean
You're welcome :) Since the public RC version that I was running it with this add-on. I could not even think in losing that functionality, and couldn't believe that someone did not think in fill the gap. Fortunately, I found this solution (and a couple of others), and opted for it. Never regreted :D
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:With the current version (8.1), the Start8 add-on, and the option to boot directly to the desktop, it behaves pretty much like Windows 7. You would not notice any significant difference.
All the Metro thing may be just ignored.
Oh, that's a nice one. I did demo it and it worked well but there was something that stopped me from purchasing it. I don't remember exactly why but I think I didn't feel confident with Stardock or the payment method offered by the time. Maybe I will have another look in the future :) Software runs very efficiently in Win 8

http://www.classicshell.net/

I use it since Vista introduced that annoying new start menu.
I personally don't use the start menu often but if I do, I prefer the good old XP style.
Classic Shell let's you select and configure the style, shown stuff and look very deeply and it's free. Works with 8.1 as well.
I usually don't install Classic IE and Classic Explorer that comes with it, since I don't use neither Windows Explorer nor Internet Explorer, but if you do, it may be worth a look too, since it brings back some of the good old things there as well.

From what I read online, even Microsoft starts to understand that Metro isn't as clever as they want it to be for the normal desktop user and even billions of marketing dollars won't change that... ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

The first time a Win8 neophyte accidentally launches a full screen Metro app - one that they didn't want in the first place - and then spends several minutes futzing around because they can't figure out how to get rid of the f#@%ing thing, that's when they begin to appreciate the true genius of Sinofsky and the Monkey Boy.
"I got a car battery and two jumper cables that argue different."
Rust Cohle

ThomasHelzle wrote:http://www.classicshell.net/

I use it since Vista introduced that annoying new start menu.
I personally don't use the start menu often but if I do, I prefer the good old XP style.
Classic Shell let's you select and configure the style, shown stuff and look very deeply and it's free. Works with 8.1 as well.
Big +1 for classicshell!

My college uses win7 still and say they'll start using win8 when the workforce widely does.

arkmabat wrote:My college uses win7 still and say they'll start using win8 when the workforce widely does.
So have they started their planning for Windows 9 yet then? :hihi:

:hihi:
Rust Cohle

Latest rumours say that in Windows 9 Metro will be more optimized for use with the mouse and running apps will show up in the taskbar etc.
Microsoft always had a hard time to understand what people want and need so I guess it will take until Windows 12 before they have it right. But then there will be an new fluke introduced to make people mad ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Seems like the Metro Apps trainwreck and other obvious problems will be fixed in an update next month. Amazing.
According to The Verge, the most notable concession is the arrival of window controls for Windows 8 Metro apps. This means that Metro apps will behave just as traditional Windows programs do, with options to minimise, maximise and snap to sides.

As expected, the traditional Start Menu doesn't return, however by right-clicking on the Start Button options appear to manipulate Windows 8 Metro apps, including taskbar pinning, uninstalling, pinning and resizing. Search and shutdown options have been brought into the Start Screen, where previously they had been tucked away in side menus that proved hard for mouse users to access.

As suggested in the leaks, the new version has a heavy emphasis on making sure that mouse and keyboard users, who have found the user interface changes of Windows 8 the most difficult to deal with, are more sympathetically catered for, and the option to pin apps to the desktop along with programs gives an indication that Microsoft is accepting that the tiled Metro interface isn't for everyone and that there is life in the Windows desktop yet.

Microsoft is expected to release Update 1 for Windows 8.1 in March ahead of its Build Conference the following month.
Rust Cohle

Windows 8 works perfectly on my end but the whole workflow sucks. I hate it. If I had the option to go back to 7, I would.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

I find win8/8.1 excellent - that ability to change from desktop/mouse to more of a gestural interface is simple and effective. You can use either the old style or the new or both together on the same monitor or spread across two monitors. The underlying OS has improved as well, although I have not found any problems with Windows since XP service pack 2.
As with XP, it will take a few years for people to get used to the new design and for MS to tweak it along the way. And now MS have to contend with computers being more than equal to most people's needs for years and hence updating machines is less frequent now and given that most people update their OS with an machine that will feed in to the changeover.

If I were happy with my win7 system I would not bother upgrading to win8 - if I were happy with my XP system I would not bother. But if I were getting a new machine I would be happy to get it with win8.1 installed.

woggle wrote:I find win8/8.1 excellent - that ability to change from desktop/mouse to more of a gestural interface is simple and effective. You can use either the old style or the new or both together on the same monitor or spread across two monitors.
So, you don't see any advantage in being able to quit or resize metro apps? :?
Rust Cohle

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”