Windows 8: update or not

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic

Will you update to Windows 8?

I update later this year or 2013
22%
I stay with Win7/XP as long as possible
49%
Never, I switch to another platform (MacOS, Linux,...)
5%
Not for my desktop PC but for Surface Tablet/Laptop
5%
I'm not sure
12%
Yes but only if I don't lost my installed stuff
3%
This is the first time I hear about Windows 8
0%
No idea, I'm only the housecleaner^^
4%

Total votes: 242

RELATED
PRODUCTS

What about text from a webpage in Metro and pasting it into something on the desktop or another Metro app?
Blue Phase Music

Can copy and paste text from a web page and paste it in Metros notepad.

Thanks! :)
Blue Phase Music

Does iLOK work in W8?

I'll upgrade sometime next year, ideally when Komplete 9 comes (komes?)...

I guess it's possible to buy w8 now that it's cheap and install it later, right?

thanks,

k

iLok is working, the same with eLicenser... Hardware worked on Win7 will also work on Win8. Except Sylenth1, my system is working with the same plug-ins, DAW etc. It was also very easy to upgrade without re-installing all this applications and plug-ins (needs about 20min on a SSD from my Win7 to have Win8 running )

Some days later I made a re-install because I would cleanup my old installation. After the years there was a lot of crap on my system drive (for me it was about 50GB of such crap!)
But a clean-install works also very easy. There is a option in the upgrade assistent to save a ISO or install it on a USB stick. The assistent can be re-run later if it needs the ISO/USB option instead of upgrading directly from the running system. I burned this update to a DVD and used the ISO on a USB stick to make a clean install (this is also for me some kind of rescue system if Windows cannot boot).

It's only important, that for such clean install using the upgrade version, it needs a installed version of Win7/Win8/XP... The installer will look for this and if he finds some old fragments it works the same like a full install. If not, Windows can be installed but later not activated.
There is of course a workaround if it's a complete clean drive without previous installed Windows version. It needs to change a registry key and another option... Google helps to find out how this works :P
Anyway, there is of course the option to buy OEM "Systembuilder" version, than it's a fullversion and works without such tricks.

Thanks. Upgrade will be fine (I'll do a clean install, but not really soon).

I still have Win95 disc somewhere, XP upgrade disc, Win7 upgrade disc...I'll be fine :)

k

The 'Pro' features will be needed by most everyone, so I would not trust
that buying now, and installing/registering later, will be acceptable.
Verify the policy in M-soft writing first, unless you want to risk paying
extra for the basics purposely left out. Upgrades from Vista to 7 had strict
timeframes.
Cheers

I just found out I need to wait to upgrade. I may still buy now, but apparently the TASCAM US-1800 isn't compatible with Win8 yet.
Blue Phase Music

glokraw wrote:The 'Pro' features will be needed by most everyone, so I would not trust
that buying now, and installing/registering later, will be acceptable.
Verify the policy in M-soft writing first, unless you want to risk paying
extra for the basics purposely left out. Upgrades from Vista to 7 had strict
timeframes.
Cheers
I'm not sure if everybody needs the Pro features?
BitLocker, Remotedesktop connections, booting from a virtual drive (VHD) are the big differences.
For the encryption stuff IMO Truecrypt is better and eventually the most important thing of this "Pro" features.
Anyway, the update is the Pro version so most of the users will always have the Pro version ;)

I had to install and use 8 for a work project on my laptop... and i have to say i'm loving it! The quick look i did before didn't quite tell the whole story. Now that I've used it for a while i see the genius of it. I'm so getting the Win Rt :)
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

Last week I upgraded my laptop to Win8 just to see how I'd like it. And I agree with mkdr - I'm loving it! By now I've also upgraded my Desktop. For me, the start screen is just a new, better organized start menu - on my 1920x1200 screen I can theoretically put about 70 programs on it, neatly categorized into 5 groups (e.g. in my case internet, development, tools, media, games). Here's what it looks at the moment (not having installed everything yet):

It's much better for direct access to programs than the conventional start menu. For everything I don't use that often, I simply hit the windows key and type away, just as I did in Win 7. It works great and the results are also categorized into apps, settings and documents - great! I don't miss the conventional start menu one second.

The Metro apps (aka "Windows Store Apps") I've tested so far are all dumbed-down crap (IMO), at least for desktop users; lacking all but the most basic functionality. That's OK, as I know what they are targeted at and I have better desktop alternatives anyway.

I love all those little improvements MS have done - the task manager, the explorer, the copy-dialog, the lean UI. The installation was fast and painless, it starts up quickly and everything feels really fluid. And most importantly - everything still works for me as far as I can see.

My only fear is that for many "normal" users, the learning curve is rather steep. MS should have added an interactive tutorial that runs after the installation.

One final funny thing: although everybody is screaming that Win8 is targeted at touch screens, I find that the supported keyboard shortcuts are better than ever, e.g. Win+X, Win+I, Win+Q, Win+F.

paterpeter wrote: One final funny thing: although everybody is screaming that Win8 is targeted at touch screens, I find that the supported keyboard shortcuts are better than ever, e.g. Win+X, Win+I, Win+Q, Win+F.
That's exactly what i thought at first too. Mostly of how it looks. But now I'm totally with you on this. It's just so much quicker to use and the nifty little gui tricks really work! It's like using my Nokia N9, but on a computer! :love:

One thing i'd like to change in it though.. The start screen could be more easier to scroll. I mean, there's heeps of space below and over the live tiles. But you still need to scroll it with that tiny bar at the bottom. Or with the mousewheel which isn't too smooth either. Page up/down helps though, but its not so intuitive.

Btw. if you have multiple screens win + page up/down moves the metro tile start screen between monitors.
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

I was hanging on to the WXP until the last moments when MS stopped releasing new updates for it. I am currently using a W7 and I can see myself sticking with it for another 4-5 years or so. I am just happy to have a system that is working and I am not interested in tinkering with new operating systems. I am quite sure that I will never install W8 because I don't see any need for it. MAYBE if it halves the vst plugins cpu usage.

Next time I buy a new OS is probably around the year 2017 when I build a new DAW for myself.

mkdr wrote: One thing i'd like to change in it though.. The start screen could be more easier to scroll. I mean, there's heeps of space below and over the live tiles. But you still need to scroll it with that tiny bar at the bottom. Or with the mousewheel which isn't too smooth either. Page up/down helps though, but its not so intuitive.
Scrolling horizontally is a bit weird. It's probably a good idea to just keep the start screen tidy. You can use the function "Show more tiles" (or what it's called in the English UI) to show more tiles at once. :shrug:
Win, Win+I, "Tiles"
(German Version, sorry)

Btw. if you have multiple screens win + page up/down moves the metro tile start screen between monitors.
Ah, good one, thanks!

If you're missing the part on the bottom of the Explorer that shows accumulated details about all selected files, use the View tab and enable the details pane (again, German version only, sorry)

It's now on the side which makes much more sense IMO:

tiles are fine if you use 3 or 4 programs regularly. they suck once you start having a bunch. I liked when the search returned all value types instead of having to filter them individually

If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”