Windows 8: update or not

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic

Will you update to Windows 8?

I update later this year or 2013
22%
I stay with Win7/XP as long as possible
49%
Never, I switch to another platform (MacOS, Linux,...)
5%
Not for my desktop PC but for Surface Tablet/Laptop
5%
I'm not sure
12%
Yes but only if I don't lost my installed stuff
3%
This is the first time I hear about Windows 8
0%
No idea, I'm only the housecleaner^^
4%

Total votes: 242

RELATED
PRODUCTS

paterpeter wrote:
mkdr wrote: One thing i'd like to change in it though.. The start screen could be more easier to scroll. I mean, there's heeps of space below and over the live tiles. But you still need to scroll it with that tiny bar at the bottom. Or with the mousewheel which isn't too smooth either. Page up/down helps though, but its not so intuitive.
Scrolling horizontally is a bit weird. It's probably a good idea to just keep the start screen tidy. You can use the function "Show more tiles" (or what it's called in the English UI) to show more tiles at once. :shrug:
Win, Win+I, "Tiles"
(German Version, sorry)

Btw. if you have multiple screens win + page up/down moves the metro tile start screen between monitors.
Ah, good one, thanks!

If you're missing the part on the bottom of the Explorer that shows accumulated details about all selected files, use the View tab and enable the details pane (again, German version only, sorry)

It's now on the side which makes much more sense IMO:
The David Hasselhoff just made my day. :lol: :lol:

One Win8 annoyance: file transfers over lan hang. They freeze the gui but keep on copying. A stupid bug i'm sure they'll fix soon..
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

jcschild wrote:Hate hate hate the gui (metro) and the ability to not turn it off without a 3rd party hack.

once you get to the desktop its win 7.. so why bother
Scott
ADK
This is my issue with it. It's not that Win8 is horrible, but if you're using it on a desktop or laptop without a multitouch trackpad (like the Logitech T650) it's a pain, and much of the time is spent trying to make it look like Win7. Which at that point you might as well stick with Win7.

On a tablet it's really cool though. I think MS should have stuck with a desktop/laptop GUI and a tablet GUI, and not mixed it. Not everything is better with touch, IMO.

Win8 has been better than Win 7 for me but.........

I get two profile to login with every time I restart the comp your meant to use the Microsoft login but it always try loging me in with local account first. I set it so I don't have to put my password in on logon and that still asks for my password and I have to retype my username into it doh. I don't have dodgy photos on my computer so I don't need a dam password.

I like the Video ap lets you easy rent movies in 1080p but they are a blurry version of Blu-Ray quality.

It was time to change computer, and the new one cost extra with Windows 7. So I thought I might as well move to Win 8. Problem is I was planning to swap soundcards as well to a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 I bought last month, and Focusrite don't have those Win 8 drivers ready yet...

Luckily I'm keeping my old rig (as well for now) so no big issue...

t3toooo wrote:so midi is working?

it's a pretty useless poll if not,that's the reason most people don't "touch" it.
I came here to see what's going on with win8 and midi last I heard no support but maybe things changed? 11 pages is a lot to read on just trying to find midi support.

MikeCL wrote:
t3toooo wrote:so midi is working?

it's a pretty useless poll if not,that's the reason most people don't "touch" it.
I came here to see what's going on with win8 and midi last I heard no support but maybe things changed? 11 pages is a lot to read on just trying to find midi support.

i'm not using win 8, but it seems microsoft just reimplemented midi overnight for the win 8 release and it's also available on the non pro version,so it should work. :)

Nice then that's good news then!

Where was the statement of no MIDI in Win8???
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

On Windows Vista the Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) causes audio glitching. Was this fixed in Win 7? I've learned that Win 8's DWM is not disableable (which is how I can stand to use Vista for audio; I have dwm service disabled).

The fact that I have to reinstall all my software on upgrade from Vista (but not if I had Win 7), has put a serious crimp in my plan to upgrade. I cannot use BFD 2 in 64-bit on Vista, and the DWM issue in Win 8 has me thinking about upgrading to 7. But I can't afford it. Of course MS is offering a decent price on 8 but didn't on 7 (or I'd be there now).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Edit:

DWM isn't necessary, but if it is causing glitching is is most likely a bottleneck in your system. Get a video card, or just disable graphic effects.

paterpeter wrote:
Four internet browsers :o Are you a web developer? :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Nielzie wrote:
paterpeter wrote:
Four internet browsers :o Are you a web developer? :)
Five actually (Chrome, IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari).

And yes, I am :-)

camsr wrote:Edit:

DWM isn't necessary, but if it is causing glitching is is most likely a bottleneck in your system. Get a video card, or just disable graphic effects.
Yeah, it's a problem so I disable it. And I DO have a decent GPU. Nvidia 8800 GTX. Not king for current games, but should be overkill for the simple crap Vista does with effects in the dwm.

But my bigger concern is that dwm cannot be disabled in Win 8!

Are there people without problems running dwm and audio?? I don't understand how the glitching is so severe. It seems it has come and gone with different GPU drivers, but the whole point of using a GPU is so not to use the CPU. Why would audio be affected at all??
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Not getting an answer in my thread. MY desktop has windows 7 64 bit and is optimised follwing these steps-http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/ ... hp?id=1071
How would I install win 8 on my desktop if windows 7 is optimised. Can I install it over my optimised windows 7 machine or should I wipe my wind 7 optimised desktop and do a fresh install of 8? Thanks

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”