Mac pricing ? Wait or buy now

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Generally Apple charges a lot more for extras, memory and hard disks. It's fairly simple to add memory and HDs to a MacBook so that's a savings right there. Also in the US there is no tax for some states doing mail order. Not sure about UK. Apple charges tax from "your" state. I have ordered all my Macs for years from both of these companies. I am in the US though... I like the mac mini server with 8 gigs of ram for a inexpensive powerful machine. Coupled with most any 24" monitor.

Still a little unsure of the delay with the new imacs. Apple have one of the best supply chains in the business, and it's been announced for over a month. I doubt many folks will be buying imacs at the moment, with the new one readily announced, unless they really value an integral superdrive.

If apple aren't discounting the present model imac heavily, then surely that's dead shop floor space?
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

There is a MacMini-protools system, with a separate
collection of 3rd pary plugins, for $999 at GuitarCenter,
if you hurry :)

"Antares, Steinberg, Native Instruments, Lexicon, Presonus, Steven Slate, and many more."

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Apple-The-C ... ce=4TP2LOE

Only 2gb seems pretty limited to me. I have trouble running some of the more CPU demanding plugins (Padshop Pro, Diva, Melda plugins) with a 2010 model with 4gb.

secretkillerofnames wrote:Only 2gb seems pretty limited to me. I have trouble running some of the more CPU demanding plugins (Padshop Pro, Diva, Melda plugins) with a 2010 model with 4gb.
true - but at least on the mini is trivial (and cheap) to upgrade the ram later on (unlike the rmbp)

would the i5 dual core be fairly powerful for some years ?
i would just upgrade it to 16gb ram myself i think to keep costs low.
Quad core would be great but my mortgage comes first !!
MB

I nearly bought the quad mini BUT:

The new minis have a problem with hd4000 igp , blackouts, snowy or pink screens, and other issues using the hdmi port.

I was going to use the thunderbolt to dvi for the monitor but there have been reports of problems there also.

It may be a software related or possibly the hdmi chip on the logic board.

john player wrote:I nearly bought the quad mini BUT:

The new minis have a problem with hd4000 igp , blackouts, snowy or pink screens, and other issues using the hdmi port.

I was going to use the thunderbolt to dvi for the monitor but there have been reports of problems there also.

It may be a software related or possibly the hdmi chip on the logic board.
interesting as i was looking into the mini's also, since you can simply hook them into any hd tv, but the mac books seem to be the way ill go eventually, in the new year
MB

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”