Best memory from Gskill for Asus P9X79?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Non K cpu can be overclocked via bclk but it's generally not worth it as stability quickly starts to suffer.

If you want to overclock get a K cpu, not worth the extra hassle of forcing something to do something it isn't designed for.

Side note: at 5GHZ on a sandy bridge there is approximately 10% difference in read/copy bandwidth between 1333 (18GBps) and 1600(20GBps) mhz ram.
Even dropping timings from 9 9 9 to 8 8 8 on the 1333 doesn't really make a difference.

There is 20% or so difference between the 1333 and 1600 when it comes to mem writes though 20GB vs 24GB but overall there aint too much difference, definitely not enough to notice when you sit there making music :wink:

The above figures get even tighter when most would be either at stock clocks or mildly overclocked @ 4 - 4.5 ghz (especially on Ivy bridge which runs a lot hotter due to fail IHS system).
Not worth even stressing about it unles syou are doing it for the epeen, making music and gaming would be an identical experience no matter if you bought 1600 and had to run it at 1333 to maintain 1.35 volts.
I play guitar

Making some DPC-measures on a new Z77 build, seemingly RAM-timings and Speed
has a signifcant influence on the DPC "noise floor", like going from from 35-
40 us, and down to 20-25 us, with measures even seen down to 19 and 17 uS,...

This is from upping some standard Kingston from 1333 to 1600, and tighten the
timings from 11 to 9, also a little OC helps, but seemingly more about ram-speed, a bit of a surprise for me

Unfortunately I have no exact counts, the DPC meter kinda sucks, it would be
pleasenet to be able to average all the numbers of a certain periode, for better comparison

I am very impressed by how this asus-board performs, even default, would not
go for anything else than ASUS on the X79 platform either
HM

G.Skill is only a brand.. don't expect "best quality" or stuff... I used G.Skill and had a broken memory module after using it some weeks. Never had such problems with Corsair or Samsung....

Chickenman wrote:Non K cpu can be overclocked via bclk but it's generally not worth it as stability quickly starts to suffer.

If you want to overclock get a K cpu, not worth the extra hassle of forcing something to do something it isn't designed for.
A little reading about the 3820 cpu and it seems to have and easy overclocking.

I. e. it can use up to an 43x multiplier (so 4.3 ghz) and second it has that "Gear Ratio (or Reference Gear Ratio / Host Clock Multiplier) which comes in three flavours: 1.00, 1.25X, and 1.66X.

source: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha ... ew-17.html

So there seems to be some options to overclock it without touch the BCLK or bus speed. Although Im not after a big overclocking, but a little can be welcome.
Chickenman wrote: Side note: at 5GHZ on a sandy bridge there is approximately 10% difference in read/copy bandwidth between 1333 (18GBps) and 1600(20GBps) mhz ram.
Even dropping timings from 9 9 9 to 8 8 8 on the 1333 doesn't really make a difference.

There is 20% or so difference between the 1333 and 1600 when it comes to mem writes though 20GB vs 24GB but overall there aint too much difference, definitely not enough to notice when you sit there making music :wink:

The above figures get even tighter when most would be either at stock clocks or mildly overclocked @ 4 - 4.5 ghz (especially on Ivy bridge which runs a lot hotter due to fail IHS system).
Not worth even stressing about it unles syou are doing it for the epeen, making music and gaming would be an identical experience no matter if you bought 1600 and had to run it at 1333 to maintain 1.35 volts.

I like to work at very low latency, so in general I think there is consensus that the better memory speed the better. Im wrong?

Additionally according to what Im reading I dont seem to find so much comments about that big ram incompatibility problem... :?:

Anyway thanks for your input.

I really like G.Skill and use their DDR3 RAM exclusively for some years now. I usually go for their "PI" modules as I find them the best price/performance ratio. I run them usually at 1.5V, 1600MHz, 7-7-7-24-1. Amazing RAM for the price. I'm yet to find better ones for the price. Although I do agree that Corsair and Kingston build formidable RAM modules, too... but I think they overprice them a little, and G.Skill still doesn't.

CL10 is way too much for a multimedia PC, man. CL9 at least. Meaning 9-9-9-24-1. The last number is command rate. It's rather important for the memory latency and most of the 1600MHz modules can't work at 1 command rate but 2. However, the most important parameter for lowest latency is CL.

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

This Gskill ram will be fine? its 1.35 v 1600:

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=417

Here in Europe I dont seem to find Samsung memory, so I hope that one is enough.

Yap, this is the one I call "fine". It's CAS latency 9 and pretty low voltage. That's middle of their range. Great choice. Although there are the "PI" ones with CL7... ;)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Why Im reading a lot of succesful histories about x79 systems and nothing about the imperative need to use 1.35 v. 1600 ram?? in fact there are hardly any case with such low voltage ram and in most of the stories Im reading (admittedly, many of them involve overclocking) the ram is with much more speed and voltage.

I'm more confused now than at the beginning

:help: :help: :help:

krraqk wrote: So the ideal is 1.35v, good to know... now there is memory at much more than the 1600 original ratio, maybe will be helpful for the overcloking to purchase 2133 or 2400 ddr3 although to run it at 1600?
Perhaps, DIMMs are like CPUs in that they make up huge batches of them and then shipped them at whatever speeds they test well at. Going for a higher speed stick should indicate that the DIMMS are going to be more stable if you then run them below their rated speeds. How much difference this makes in the real world however is debatable.
krraqk wrote: I like to work at very low latency, so in general I think there is consensus that the better memory speed the better. Im wrong?
If your refering to latency times in regards to audio in and out of your system, memory speeds make extremely minimal, if any difference at all. Soundcard/ASIO and perhaps CPU are all far more important.
krraqk wrote:Why Im reading a lot of succesful histories about x79 systems and nothing about the imperative need to use 1.35 v. 1600 ram?? in fact there are hardly any case with such low voltage ram and in most of the stories Im reading (admittedly, many of them involve overclocking) the ram is with much more speed and voltage.
And how many of those are experiences from people who work in an enviroment shipping a dozen or so X79's week? It won't cost you much more than a few dollars to go with 1.35v over 1.5v and logic dicates that a lower voltage will improve the CPU lifespan due to lower temps on the memory controller over the life of the machine and running cooler means a quieter machine.

By all means go with the 1.5v but you've had myself and Scott who have between us handled enough X79 rigs to be well into the hundreds by this point we're just giving you some feedback on how to optimize and avoid the frustrations we've been through over the last year.

Just wanted to say thanks for your post.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”