Best memory from Gskill for Asus P9X79?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi I have Asus P9X79 as my motherboard.

I want to know which set of memory from *GSKILL* (Only) I have to buy?
(I want at least 32 GB, 64 will be grate).

I found this item:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL

The problem with it, is that its got many bad reviews according to its speed.

Thank you

there are serious compatibility issues with X79 and memory.

find 4gig sticks that are samsung chips

Scott
ADK

qipi wrote:Hi I have Asus P9X79 as my motherboard.

I want to know which set of memory from *GSKILL* (Only) I have to buy?
(I want at least 32 GB, 64 will be grate).

I found this item:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL

The problem with it, is that its got many bad reviews according to its speed.

Thank you
Like Scott said, samsungs own 4 GB DDR3 for a max of 32 GB is the safe
solution, if 64 GB is not a must, some 3930K might got probs, some not

I have not been able to find Samsung 1.35 volt in 8 GB size

I vaguely seems to remember a person at Adobe-forum used 64 GB g.Skill,
and also a few in some newegg-review, so diffrence from chip to chip,..

Guess its a game if they will work, dont know the succes-rate :-)

Anyway most people seems to agree that 1.35 volt chips will stress the
controller least possible, so why G.Skill standard ? why not try some-
thing like the Kingston LoVo that comes in 4 x 8 GB bundles ?

I don't know what chips they use, but seemingly they use selection to
simply select the best chips out, I don't care, if the result is good

As for the chips used, nothing is sure, on a general note the factory
use what cheapest at a given moment, even inside the same series, so
its difficult to be 100 pct sure when ordering

I think you put far to much emphasis on speed, above 1600 is waste,..
HM

jcschild wrote:there are serious compatibility issues with X79 and memory.

Scott
ADK
Im just starting to think about an upgrade to an X79 board (the least expensive is the Asrock X79 Extreme4 -maybe bad brand/idea?-) with an 3820 cpu and came to this thread which suprissed me with all that talk about those incompatibilities which where unknow to me.

We are talking about audio related problems or in general?

There is not a list of compatible ram in the website of the manufacturer?

Dont seem to be much talk about this 2011 platform in audio related forums, maybe a good source can be other non audio related forums (pc geeks, gamers, etc)? those configurations (ram/mb) would be good also for audio and help me to avoid the problems mentioned?

krraqk wrote:
jcschild wrote:there are serious compatibility issues with X79 and memory.

Scott
ADK
Im just starting to think about an upgrade to an X79 board (the least expensive is the Asrock X79 Extreme4 -maybe bad brand/idea?-) with an 3820 cpu and came to this thread which suprissed me with all that talk about those incompatibilities which where unknow to me.

We are talking about audio related problems or in general?

There is not a list of compatible ram in the website of the manufacturer?

Dont seem to be much talk about this 2011 platform in audio related forums, maybe a good source can be other non audio related forums (pc geeks, gamers, etc)? those configurations (ram/mb) would be good also for audio and help me to avoid the problems mentioned?
Overclock.net has a lot of good stories about the samsung 30nm sets available at present http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Samsung/MV-3V4G3/ No 2x8gb kits as far as I am aware but that may change at any time.
I play guitar

Just chiming in to say I've got myself Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB (32GB) of 1600 mhz RAM and it works like a dream.

warfighter67 wrote:Just chiming in to say I've got myself Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB (32GB) of 1600 mhz RAM and it works like a dream.
On X79 platform?
I play guitar

warfighter67 wrote:Just chiming in to say I've got myself Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB (32GB) of 1600 mhz RAM and it works like a dream.
how do you know its running @ 1600?

you have to use a program like sisoft to find out

krraqk wrote: Im just starting to think about an upgrade to an X79 board (the least expensive is the Asrock X79 Extreme4 -maybe bad brand/idea?-) with an 3820 cpu and came to this thread which suprissed me with all that talk about those incompatibilities which where unknow to me.
ASROCK is the lower end Asus's from what I recall? I had one of their Mobo's, it wouldn't accept my memory at all, and it went back to sender. New mobo at the time as well as the mobo that died worked with my memory (OCZ DDR400 memory, so it's been awhile.) I got it because it was the one of a small handful of available motherboards for my 939 CPU at the time that had been discontinued. Not too encouraged to buy them again.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

I have an ASrock H61-M and Gskill Ram.

Don't know why, but I've had a lot of problems. 2 Motherboards have seemingly died, the same model (won't switch on anymore), ASrock told me to reset the BIOS so I did.

Well, it works now, but it crashes all the time (BSOD) and the stop error is not descriptive. In fact there is no description.

Don't know if that helps you or not.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

DevonB wrote:
krraqk wrote: Im just starting to think about an upgrade to an X79 board (the least expensive is the Asrock X79 Extreme4 -maybe bad brand/idea?-) with an 3820 cpu and came to this thread which suprissed me with all that talk about those incompatibilities which where unknow to me.
ASROCK is the lower end Asus's from what I recall? I had one of their Mobo's, it wouldn't accept my memory at all, and it went back to sender. New mobo at the time as well as the mobo that died worked with my memory (OCZ DDR400 memory, so it's been awhile.) I got it because it was the one of a small handful of available motherboards for my 939 CPU at the time that had been discontinued. Not too encouraged to buy them again.

Devon
Thank you for your help.

Yes maybe asrock is a bad idea, its only that the X79 MB are so expensive and the Asrock is the cheapest. I ever purchased Gigabyte and it has been solid in my music pcs so maybe i will be a good contender, this and maybe Asus.

So that would reduce the question to the Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 and the Asus P9X79.
The Asus has firewire (I use a Fireface800) but its a Via chipset so maybe i will need to purchase an additional FW card.

So now to the memory question, Im safe using any of the ram listed in their respective sites or i need to know something more?

In the Gigabyte web they say: 2 x sockets 1.5V DDR3 DIMM, so in this board is 1.5v and not 1.35v as stated previously in other posts?

In the Asus there is a list of memory http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA ... ry-QVL.pdf and there are many variables about the voltage....

So again, why that 1.35V requirement? and its an specific audio related problem?

krraqk wrote: So again, why that 1.35V requirement? and its an specific audio related problem?
No, it's a general issue affecting stability and overclocking mostly. At stock you'll probably be fine but that depends on memory in question and how much of it is being used.

Ignore the validation lists in the manual as they are absolutly worthless. Brands and ranges of memory change the IC and DIMMs models and revisions used on a weekly basis, so those lists are invalid before they even print the manual.

The problem is a load issue on the memory controller. You can fully populate the whole lot at stock runnng 1.5v memory and you'll probably be fine unless it takes exception to the IC it's talking too.

Doing an overclocked rig however causes the amount of voltage to be used by the memory controller to raise rather rapidly and the fact that the memory controller is on the CPU means that the extra voltage required adds to the same overall heat profile that is being generated by the CPU itself which in turns leads to stability issues.

The stablilty issues tend to get bigger and more regular with the more sticks you put in, the harder you push the overclock or with the more voltage you put through it.

1.35v is the ideal and we don't see problems with them whilst running them silent with a 4.4Ghz OC or 4.6Ghz with noisy water cooling.

1.5v is fine to roughly the same levels with half the slots loaded but fill them all and your asking for issues.

Start raising anything (voltage/speeds) and things start getting hairy and this includes fully populating all the slots with 1.5v memory at stock. We've found certain types of memory dimms help a lot but you can rarely tell who uses what dimms in a given memory stick. For instance the Vengence mentioned above uses memory dimms from a pool of 8 different brands depending on what is available on any given day. I know 1 of those works quite well and another 2 behave well if you don't push them too hard, with the remaining ones being anywhere from a bit patchy to an absolute nightmare so its pretty much luck of the draw.

So yeah, if your running at stock don't worry about it but do watch out for issues and test it properly when you've finished the build. If your overclocking get 1.35v stuff.

jcschild wrote:
how do you know its running @ 1600?

you have to use a program like sisoft to find out
Speccy tells me it's running at 668MHz. How do I make it run faster? :p

Chickenman wrote:
On X79 platform?
ASRock Z77 Extreme6 8)

Kaine wrote:
No, it's a general issue affecting stability and overclocking mostly. At stock you'll probably be fine but that depends on memory in question and how much of it is being used.

Ignore the validation lists in the manual as they are absolutly worthless. Brands and ranges of memory change the IC and DIMMs models and revisions used on a weekly basis, so those lists are invalid before they even print the manual.

The problem is a load issue on the memory controller. You can fully populate the whole lot at stock runnng 1.5v memory and you'll probably be fine unless it takes exception to the IC it's talking too.

Doing an overclocked rig however causes the amount of voltage to be used by the memory controller to raise rather rapidly and the fact that the memory controller is on the CPU means that the extra voltage required adds to the same overall heat profile that is being generated by the CPU itself which in turns leads to stability issues.

The stablilty issues tend to get bigger and more regular with the more sticks you put in, the harder you push the overclock or with the more voltage you put through it.

1.35v is the ideal and we don't see problems with them whilst running them silent with a 4.4Ghz OC or 4.6Ghz with noisy water cooling.

1.5v is fine to roughly the same levels with half the slots loaded but fill them all and your asking for issues.

Start raising anything (voltage/speeds) and things start getting hairy and this includes fully populating all the slots with 1.5v memory at stock. We've found certain types of memory dimms help a lot but you can rarely tell who uses what dimms in a given memory stick. For instance the Vengence mentioned above uses memory dimms from a pool of 8 different brands depending on what is available on any given day. I know 1 of those works quite well and another 2 behave well if you don't push them too hard, with the remaining ones being anywhere from a bit patchy to an absolute nightmare so its pretty much luck of the draw.

So yeah, if your running at stock don't worry about it but do watch out for issues and test it properly when you've finished the build. If your overclocking get 1.35v stuff.
Thanks Kaine for your long explanation, very helpfull.

So the ideal is 1.35v, good to know... now there is memory at much more than the 1600 original ratio, maybe will be helpful for the overcloking to purchase 2133 or 2400 ddr3 although to run it at 1600?

I think I will try do some overclocking with the 3820 if its possible and things are stable, but im not sure because I dont have researched it very much. Its not a "K" cpu so I dont know if its really an option.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”