Windows 7: Hate it.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

But have you addressed the real issue here?

Which is better? Analogue clock or digital clock.

There's only one way to find out :hihi:

seismic1 wrote:But have you addressed the real issue here?

Which is better? Analogue clock or digital clock.

There's only one way to find out :hihi:
I was waiting for that.
Really surprised it took so long TBH.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I saw it about 4 or 5 hours ago, but wanted to give somebody else a chance. Must be a slow day :)

seismic1 wrote:I saw it about 4 or 5 hours ago, but wanted to give somebody else a chance. Must be a slow day :)
So who will provide the first null test?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

It's only a matter of time.......

IncarnateX wrote:
chokehold wrote: I don't mean to pick a fight.
Really? Could have fooled me with that patronising attitude. Shifting to new systems is a pain all of us know and maybe you should try to read "a glimpse in the eyes" into the OP. You might catch some self-irony then instead of reasons to turn hostile.
Wow. It took me 10 minutes to get to grips with Windows 7 basics and I'd never ever used it before. I had to set up a few things on an old timer's PC and I actually enjoyed the slight challenge of using Windows 7. It's Windows. There's a fundamental UI logic. If you can use Win XP, Windows 7 is easy.
Windows 8 is another beast altogether. That's where some of the UI logic gets broken.
Win XP was great in its day, but its day is over. It's nowhere near as efficient as Win 7 when it comes to newer (most of the are getting on now anyway) technologies and specs.
Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio : Reason 10

mandolarian wrote:Ok, so you don't like the new (but now old) Win7 shell. I get that. But, WTF were you doing using Windows Exploder in XP anyways? There were and are better options. Here's a shortlist:
xplorer2
or
XYPLORER
or
Total Commander
And WinExp helpers:
Folder Jump
Or
Listary
And
Launchy
And desktop cleanup:
Fences
or
Tiles

Goodbye clock, hello, Rainmeter

And you dinna need to hack the registry to change *multiple* default program options/actions with, Default Program Editor

This is a tiny shortlist of custom tweaks that YOU can make. To Win 7. To match YOUR habits and tastes.

My gawd, man, the beauty of Windows is that you could and still can tweak it to be YOUR Windows, not some dull grey myopic vision from a pathetic UI committee afraid of their place on the Redmond campus.

However, if XP's limitations are your liberation then get it back with a XP Theme
or for real, virtually, with: Virtual PC

Time get off your whine and spend some tweaking time. It's a Personal Computer. So, why not make it personal?
I'm really just now diving deeply into tweaking Win-7, having put in-depth-tweaking off until moving more than one machine to it, and having the time to do it. I basically hate it... the "look" - the "feel" - the 'dumbed-down' everything.

I am not the targeted: "media consumer"!!! :bang:

... anyway.

I had ONLY done so on a 3D/CAD machine, and now on two more machines, as many of the audio/vst apps I use either require it (so I'm FORCED to adopt Win-7, by attrition), and/or are multi-core friendly enough to warrant/justify the otherwise bitterly resented PITA move. AND drivers are miraculously available and functional for my hardware.

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but seeing the gist, aside from the 'start' menu, I too have serious issues with Win-7 'explorer' also, as I spend a great deal of time re-naming/re-arranging, and moving/copying, updating and backing-up tons of files and folders.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I am (still) exceedingly put-off by how the "folders" now look like a "book" (opening to the side, instead of upward, like a FOLDER) amongst many other "explorer" related non-features, but I went with this anyway:

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Working pretty-much satisfactorily thus far... time will tell.

(sigh)

will follow this with interest.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

I don't know, I often carry folders with me, and I always open them like a book. If they aren't in a file cabinet, it seems the logical choice.

Brent :shrug:
My host is better than your host

Mushy Mushy wrote:
hibidy wrote:Image

I smile every time I turn on my computer. I've loved win7x64 from the first RC. It's like the slinky in those geico commercials......."this is awesome"

Yep, entirely serious.
And to think I used to like you Hibidy :x

:D

PS: I hope you choke on that popcorn :hihi:
:hihi:

Thing is, if it works for me, it should for everyone (I'm usually the one with all the trouble :shrug: )

koolkeys wrote:I don't know, I often carry folders with me, and I always open them like a book. If they aren't in a file cabinet, it seems the logical choice.

Brent :shrug:
LOL... it is def a "file-cabinet' hold-over, yes. When I am "holding" them, I do likewise. :wink:

I consider "explorer" to be a 'file cabinet', so obviously, when the folders are sideways - everything spills out. :hihi:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

audiobot202 wrote:
IncarnateX wrote:
Really? Could have fooled me with that patronising attitude. Shifting to new systems is a pain all of us know and maybe you should try to read "a glimpse in the eyes" into the OP. You might catch some self-irony then instead of reasons to turn hostile.
Wow. It took me 10 minutes to get to grips with Windows 7 basics and I'd never ever used it before. I had to set up a few things on an old timer's PC and I actually enjoyed the slight challenge of using Windows 7. It's Windows. There's a fundamental UI logic. If you can use Win XP, Windows 7 is easy.
Windows 8 is another beast altogether. That's where some of the UI logic gets broken.
Win XP was great in its day, but its day is over. It's nowhere near as efficient as Win 7 when it comes to newer (most of the are getting on now anyway) technologies and specs.
WOW! How unrelated to a quote can a post be? What you write has absolutely nothing to do with the attitude of chokehold. If you just want to tell how easy it was for you to shift to windows 7, just write it. You don't have to look for fragments in others post, take them out of context and use as and excuse for whatever you want to say.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
mandolarian wrote:Lots of useful things
Very valid points.
I suppose i'm just very familiar with XP and can fly around it.
Which is half the reason why i'm annoyed really.

On the busiest day of the month instead of instinctively clicking here and there I needed to think about how to do every single little thing. Just leaving work now after a 14 hour day. Under XP (only because of the familiarity) I think I would have been done 4 hours earlier.

So to your point, yes i'm sure those tools are brilliant but i'd still have to learn them and I doubt they'd be as quick as I am doing familiar tasks. That sounds a lot like bragging, but it's really not meant to. I'm sure next to a few of you i'm positively a turtle.
I hear you. Years of highly developed muscle memory reduced to shoot, swear, aim, point, hunt, click, pout.

If you could set aside an hour or so out of your short, easy going work day to try a few of those Explorer replacements/augments it will be worth it. Xplorer2 has some functions that once learned will save time and clicks. Just using the multiple tab interface for folders is much quicker than running 10-20 instances of Win Exploder. Folder chaos was part of my work flow. Not so much now.

Just sayin'

And thanks for your rant. If you can save up the strength, would love to see how you'd emote over the 'charmed' Win 8. Analog, digital or Tiled metro-sexual clocks? You pick. :D
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

IncarnateX wrote:
audiobot202 wrote:
IncarnateX wrote:
WOW! How unrelated to a quote can a post be? What you write has absolutely nothing to do with the attitude of chokehold. If you just want to tell how easy it was for you to shift to windows 7, just write it. You don't have to look for fragments in others post, take them out of context and use as and excuse for whatever you want to say.
OH BOO HOO

audiobot202 wrote:
OH BOO HOO
Idiot! Creep back behind the stone you came from slime-thing.

IncarnateX wrote:
audiobot202 wrote:
OH BOO HOO
Idiot! Creep back behind the stone you came from slime-thing.
*RAWR* (That's my slime voice)

Chill man. It's a forum. Words on a screen. Get thee hence.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”