Windows 7: Hate it.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

koolkeys wrote:Hmmm, not sure what you mean that they are locked in position? My left pane doesn't move at all when I scroll inside a folder. Is that what you're talking about?

Brent
Well I have about 15 mapped network drives and whatever other folders expanded at any given time - as is common. When I decide I need to open a favourite I need to scroll the Navigation bar to the top of the page.
Surely a favourite should be accessible with one click in the top menu :shrug:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:
koolkeys wrote:Hmmm, not sure what you mean that they are locked in position? My left pane doesn't move at all when I scroll inside a folder. Is that what you're talking about?

Brent
Well I have about 15 mapped network drives and whatever other folders expanded at any given time - as is common. When I decide I need to open a favourite I need to scroll the Navigation bar to the top of the page.
Ok, so you're doing much of your browsing in the left pane, correct?

By the way, I agree with you that it should be there. Just trying to help make it a LITTLE easier on ya. :wink:
My host is better than your host

koolkeys wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:

Brent
Ok, so you're doing much of your browsing in the left pane, correct?

By the way, I agree with you that it should be there. Just trying to help make it a LITTLE easier on ya. :wink:
Yes, I live in Explorer/Left Pane. Only ever open something there or from the previous Favourites button at the top.

FWIW, you can use the "Home" key to instantly scroll back to the top of that left pane, in case that helps.

Brent

koolkeys wrote:FWIW, you can use the "Home" key to instantly scroll back to the top of that left pane, in case that helps.
Yes that does help. Thx.
However, it's still three clicks versus one before.

I know if I was living in 1950 i'd be amazed by how quick this is all is.
But my point is that it was easier/quicker before so why change it.
Why go backwards when improving something?

Is it time to change the thread title yet?

Windows 7: mildly annoying

:?:

:hihi:
... space is the place ...

BTW + FWIW I think Win 7 rocks. XP is a joke in comparison ... [/flame-suit]

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Is it time to change the thread title yet?

Windows 7: mildly annoying

:?:

:hihi:
No mate. I still effing hate it. Probably even more than this morning too.

EDIT: I will take the profanity out of the title though.

:lol:

ZenPunkHippy wrote:BTW + FWIW I think Win 7 rocks. XP is a joke in comparison ... [/flame-suit]

+ three billion and twelve

A year in and it still boots up mega fast, virtually never BSOD's (unless Cubase borks like it can do once every few months) and it's all still zippy clicky and responsive with no stupid machine optimisation from me.

It is a thing of beauty.

I will say that I personally love Windows 7. While not without it's issues, I have found it to be FAR more stable than any previous incarnation, and it runs smooth as butter for the higher level resource intensive work I do with video and motion graphics. And it's a pretty flippin' SWEET gaming OS, if you're into that(it does things that XP can't do because of DX10 and DX11- pretty much the entire gaming world has moved on from XP).

Plus, overall I would argue that the file explorer is actually much better than XP in MOST areas. There are more options overall. When you mix in the new features in the task bar, the little things like the "switch to desktop" button in the bottom right corner or the ability to look through all your windows without switching to them, among other things, it's a pretty cool OS.

And it's more secure than XP.

When it comes to performance, for newer hardware, it's just better. It was designed for things that weren't even dreamed of when XP was created, and handles things like multi-core and 64-bit much better(XP 64-bit is a joke in comparison).

I can appreciate that somebody who uses XP faithfully might be a little peeved at a few of the changes, but honestly, that's just the nature of change. I think when you look at the overall picture, it really is the better OS for most people. YMMV, of course.

Brent

Also, just thought of this, in case it offers a different way of working. You can right click on the taskbar, and go to "toolbars", and add a new toolbar. You can then select a folder to be your new toolbar. Just select your favorites folder. Then, you will have the favorites folder on your taskbar with a little arrow icon that you can use to browse through your favorites.

It may not provide the most elegant solution, but it does offer a different method of accessing things.

Brent

koolkeys wrote:Also, just thought of this, in case it offers a different way of working. You can right click on the taskbar, and go to "toolbars", and add a new toolbar. You can then select a folder to be your new toolbar. Just select your favorites folder. Then, you will have the favorites folder on your taskbar with a little arrow icon that you can use to browse through your favorites.

It may not provide the most elegant solution, but it does offer a different method of accessing things.

Brent
:tu: Done.

I know have favourites down the bottom with the old style task bar next to it.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
koolkeys wrote:Also, just thought of this, in case it offers a different way of working. You can right click on the taskbar, and go to "toolbars", and add a new toolbar. You can then select a folder to be your new toolbar. Just select your favorites folder. Then, you will have the favorites folder on your taskbar with a little arrow icon that you can use to browse through your favorites.

Brent
:tu: Done.

I know have favourites down the bottom with the old style task bar next to it.
Great! Hopefully, between all these options, it at least helps speed things up a little bit.

Any other questions, just ask!

Brent

Win 7 is definitely better than XP, XP was fine but it slowed down over time and always required a re-install ..
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”